Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > man I hate loud cars!

man I hate loud cars!
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2006, 03:16 PM

Yesterday coming back from the beach I got stuck behind this real loud car. Ended passing him but man cars like that should get tickets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPoIFJd3xc
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 04:24 PM

A Honda with a rev meter but no fifth gear???

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2006, 05:08 PM

looks like a 2nd gen RX7
ice

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2006, 05:16 PM

I love how people actually pay to get this done to their car.

Really annoying.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2006, 06:46 PM

I hate glass packed mufflers

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
A Honda with a rev meter but no fifth gear???
no my 5th gear linkage is blown, something i need to fix.

PS it was 3 times louder then on the video, we could hear is car a full KM away.

micahthompson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 08:09 PM

I'll second that one. I live in one of the poorer neighborhoods of my tiny town. my neighbors are all old, or like that.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 09:56 PM

I happen to love the sound of 1.3 liters of pure power! Harley's on the other hand.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2006, 09:59 PM

The RX7 is a second gen, late 80s early 90s. it could be quieter. I don't know if it's a glass pack or just a leaky exhaust.

The prelude uses a lot of the same parts as the Integra. So did my CRX I had years ago.

Surely you can junkyard for the linkage if it's the portion up top near the shift lever / console. If the problem isn't there, there are only two rods that go from there to the trans: one is the shift rod and the other is a torsion rod that braces between the two. The problem is in the trans if it isn't up in that console on the shift lever.

Rebuilding those transaxles are expensive, which is why I preferred to replace them with low miles junkyard ones.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2006, 11:03 PM

I've got rig-pigs with giant diesels with loud pipes to deal with here. Or gas trucks with glass packs. Trucks trucks futhermucking trucks!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you can buy something so big and hideous, doesn't mean you should!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2006, 11:07 PM

loud cars are so cool, i wish i had one, then i would be cool

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 11:10 PM

Rotary powered cars are loud. The NA cars can be louder than the FI ones. I highly doubt the vehicle has glass packs as it would burn out in a few days with the hot rotary exaust.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2006, 11:25 PM

Gah. The street my dorm was on last year generally had a few of those bastards each evening.

Really thought a large caliber rifle might improve matters... roar past my building, I perforate your engine block.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 12:04 AM

My next door neighbor drives a Dodge RAM 1500 pick up, it's pretty loud as well. My dad hates it.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks
The RX7 is a second gen, late 80s early 90s. it could be quieter. I don't know if it's a glass pack or just a leaky exhaust.

The prelude uses a lot of the same parts as the Integra. So did my CRX I had years ago.

Surely you can junkyard for the linkage if it's the portion up top near the shift lever / console. If the problem isn't there, there are only two rods that go from there to the trans: one is the shift rod and the other is a torsion rod that braces between the two. The problem is in the trans if it isn't up in that console on the shift lever.

Rebuilding those transaxles are expensive, which is why I preferred to replace them with low miles junkyard ones.
Second Gen 87 SI, parts are hard to come by, none of the junk yards have any, but I have a complete spare engine and transmission I can toss in there just been busy ripping apart the old car. Goal is to keep the 2 engines and transmissions and spend time rebuilding one of each so when something goes, do a swap and rebuild the bad one, should be able to keep the car going for the next 30 years that way

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 02:04 AM

I agree.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 02:47 AM

A nicely tuned sports car with a properly tuned and balanced exhaust sounds wonderful; crappy little riced out Honda Civics, etc. do, I agree, sound like crap...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2006, 02:57 AM

I agree. In general, loud cars suck, but there's nothing like a tuned american V8's sound!

When I say tuned, I mean, not strapping on a muffler just to gain attention. But even Ford Mustangs with unmodified exhausts sound gorgeous.

I've never heard a good sounding inline-4 (although inline-4 motorcycles usually aren't bad, depending on how/if they are tuned). Straight sixes and the occasional V6 sound nice. V8s, V10s and V12s are all good. It's mainly the I4s that sound purely annoying, although a turbo I4 tends to be less annoying, as forced induction reduces the harshness of the sounds emitting from the tailpipes.

RX7s are the worst sounding, IMO. Stock ones aren't bad, but RX7s (NA) with modified exhausts make me gag, especially the older ones.
:) unixfool :)
http://www.unixfool.com
_____
iMac 27" 3.06GHz C2D | White MB CD 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD | Graphite PMac G4 500MHzx2, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD | White iPhone 3G 16GB | Black iPhone 3GS 32GB

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2006, 04:37 AM

I had 1 5/8" equal length shorty headers, 2 1/2" cat-less X-Pipe out through 3 Chamber(quieter) flowmasters on my Mustang 5.0L. Sounded wicked.
ice

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 07:12 AM

I once had a 1987 Volvo 740GLE with a hole rusted in the exhaust before the resonator and muffler. It sounded like a steam engine and lawn mower at the same time. It was also loud as hell.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2006, 07:50 AM

I really think that most people who add loud exhaust packs to their mid-range cars (like Civics) are dealing with some sort of compensatory issues. Unless you do a lot of modding to the engine, you're still going to have a pretty much stock, middle-of-the-road powerplant, and putting a loud, buzzy muffler on it just makes it louder and buzzier. And don't these products also alter back presure and thus affect fuel efficiency?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2006, 07:52 AM

I wrote a poem once where I implied people with glass packed mufflers were compensating for feelings of inadequacy

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2006, 08:04 AM

I also dislike loud mufflers on cars. The only good thing about them is that someone with a loud muffler would have a hard time sneaking up on me and running me over.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 08:15 AM

these cars are funny. the owners take themselves very seriously.

this guy at school drives a Civic with cheap sport exhaust..you can hear him park his car a mile away BRUM BRUM BRRUUUUUMMM BRUM BRUM me and my collegues laugh our asses off because of this guy but my own car is always noisy, it's a classic sportscar, they don't have those mufflers, the exhaust is merely a tube.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I wrote a poem once where I implied people with glass packed mufflers were compensating for feelings of inadequacy

poems about mufflers. seriously.

and you've mentioned glass pack mufflers twice in this thread. wtf uses those? definitely not any ricer. no one uses glass packs 'cept hillbillies and numbnutses.
ice

Railroader
Banned
Jul 2, 2006, 03:07 PM

I think we're all missing the main point to this thread.

Originally Posted by Athens
Yesterday coming back from the beach...
What beach and did you have a good time? DETAILS!!!

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 05:32 PM

lol sunny day, hot, nothing to do, was just a trip down to one of the dozens of beachs in the city. Ended up taking a few photos messing around on some railroad tracks.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K
it's a classic sportscar, they don't have those mufflers, the exhaust is merely a tube.
And what car would that be ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 06:41 PM

"alfa romeo gt 1600 junior bertone sprint lusso"

but the 1600 is now a 2000cc with double Weber carburettors. i once bought an ipod with mobile speakersystem but it was completely inaudible so i sold the kit. i have started to get used to drive around with earplugs, it makes me much less tired after a long distance.

it's a different sound than a typical modern 1.6 injection engine with added sportexhaust. it's raw, the carburettors add the occasional click and spit, i have no insulation against the noise yet so i can hear the gearbox too, and the transaxle behind me . I am really happy with those earplugs
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2006, 07:00 PM

What does it mean to "rice" out a car? Sounds like it could be a slightly derogatory/borderline racist term?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2006, 07:02 PM

Ugh...living in a college town along a busy street I get tons of these all day. All I hear is the Civics, Neons, Cavaliers, Kias, and any other car you can get for $2000 pulling away going BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, pause for shift, BWAAAAAAAA, pause, brrrrrrrrrrrr.
It's quite irritating.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K
"alfa romeo gt 1600 junior bertone sprint lusso"

but the 1600 is now a 2000cc with double Weber carburettors. i once bought an ipod with mobile speakersystem but it was completely inaudible so i sold the kit. i have started to get used to drive around with earplugs, it makes me much less tired after a long distance.

it's a different sound than a typical modern 1.6 injection engine with added sportexhaust. it's raw, the carburettors add the occasional click and spit, i have no insulation against the noise yet so i can hear the gearbox too, and the transaxle behind me . I am really happy with those earplugs
I think I would consider dynamat or other insulation. It will make the vehicle less hot inside as a passenger (insulating you from the heat of the engine, transmission, etc.

It will also cut down on some of the noise and vibration.

The downside is it will add some weight to the vehicle. But you've already compensated for that with the larger displacement.

The Webers are cool, but I bet they suck gas. I wonder if you've thought about converting them to throttle bodies using MegaSquirt?

(only suggesting, since you've already thrown originality out the window.)

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2006, 07:12 PM

Second Gen 87 SI, parts are hard to come by, none of the junk yards have any, but I have a complete spare engine and transmission I can toss in there just been busy ripping apart the old car. Goal is to keep the 2 engines and transmissions and spend time rebuilding one of each so when something goes, do a swap and rebuild the bad one, should be able to keep the car going for the next 30 years that way

I had the 86 CRX Si. It shared a lot of parts with the Prelude. The Integras from those years had a lot in common as well.

In fact, you could move up to the DOHC 1.8 liter from the integra without a lot of work. It's a nicer engine than the 1.6 that you and I have/had.

Going for 30 years isn't a problem, I would think you could keep it running strong for 50. My 1962 Chevy is running strong and it's pushing 45 years.

The problem is making sure the body is solid. If you have the solid beam trailing rear suspension that I had, you may want to check the Z bar (panhard rod) that keeps the rear wheels under the body side-to-side. Mine broke off from the body under hard driving.

I was in Indiana and had a gentleman who claimed to have worked on Indy cars back in the 60s weld it back together.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
What does it mean to "rice" out a car? Sounds like it could be a slightly derogatory/borderline racist term?
It's used to describe a car in a derogatory fashion, specifically a car that has been weighed down with a ton of less-than-tasteful modifications.

These cars tend to Japanese in make, and the somewhat racist part comes in describing that car as 'rice' when it's a Japanese car.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2006, 08:10 PM

It's used to describe a car in a derogatory fashion, specifically a car that has been weighed down with a ton of less-than-tasteful modifications.

These cars tend to Japanese in make, and the somewhat racist part comes in describing that car as 'rice' when it's a Japanese car.
Although at this point it refers to any distastefully modified car, Japanese or not, so the racist part really isn't there anymore. I've heard people claim it's "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements." But rice is as much a mentality as it is modifications.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
means putting in tons of aftermarket toys onto the car to make it look special, generally asians do that most and most of the toys come from Asia but more important its mostly done to Asian cars. All the Asians I know use the term.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2006, 10:23 PM

...and it often refers to a Japanese import like a Honda, Toyota, or Mitsubishi.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 10:49 PM

In fact, you could move up to the DOHC 1.8 liter from the integra without a lot of work. It's a nicer engine than the 1.6 that you and I have/had.
I have a 2.0L not a 1.6

1987 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI
- Fuel Injected
- 12 Value
- Power Assist Steering (which in my opinion is the best kind)
- 4 Wheel Disc Brakes
- Power Mirrors
- Power Windows (Single Push Button for Driver)
- Power Sunroof
- Bucket Seats
- Day/Night Rear Mirror

( Last edited by Athens; Jul 2, 2006 at 10:57 PM. )

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

I have a 2.0L not a 1.6

1987 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI
- Fuel Injected
- 12 Value
- Power Assist Steering (which in my opinion is the best kind)
- 4 Wheel Disc Brakes
- Power Mirrors
- Power Windows (Single Push Button for Driver)
- Power Sunroof
- Bucket Seats
- Day/Night Rear Mirror

[img]http://www.prelude2g.com/mylude/lude18.jpg[img]
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a prelude of that vintage not covered in rust! Although is that a bit of a clearcoat problem on the roof?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 12:37 PM

Yesterday coming back from the beach I got stuck behind this real loud car. Ended passing him but man cars like that should get tickets.

Nice to see that you used your blinker there at the end.

Blinkers =

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a prelude of that vintage not covered in rust! Although is that a bit of a clearcoat problem on the roof?
Ive seen a prob a hundred or more in the city in good shape. Most have some rust issues under the car, mine included but nothing not fixable. I'll be getting her a paint job next summer

You should see some of the perfect 1st gens in town

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2006, 12:46 PM

Here in the Silicon Valley I see all kinds of cars with the loud exhaust systems on their cars.
Sounds like a freaking lawnmower pulling away from a stop.
I must ad that the stupid wings these people also put on their cars are also good for a laugh.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 10:51 AM

I hate those dumb loud rice burners that are all over the west coast. It makes me want to get in a Mustang and pass them at 120 mph.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
I hate those dumb loud rice burners that are all over the west coast. It makes me want to get in a Mustang and pass them at 120 mph.
Well...most of them can do 120 too, so I don't see what good this will do you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2006, 12:15 PM

I think it's an Armorall commercial, but there's a wicked one with a Formula car zipping by a nice Chevelle (?) with valve scoops on the hood. Then the scoops open, and it rockets past the sports car and tares it to shreds.

I know next to nothing about cars, but I've always been partial the 60s/70s era muscle cars. There's just nothing like 'em. I was so excited about the new Mustang and now the Challenger. Oh man, those are sweeeeet. Even a dumbass like me can have one now.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I think it's an Armorall commercial, but there's a wicked one with a Formula car zipping by a nice Chevelle (?) with valve scoops on the hood. Then the scoops open, and it rockets past the sports car and tares it to shreds.
I really liked that one!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2006, 05:49 PM

I just love muscle cars, rice burners are annoying. That was a good commercial. Can't wait for the Dodge Challenger.

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 8, 2006, 05:52 PM

Come to milwaukee. Try dealing with 50,000,000 ****ing dumbshits who drive harleys who think they're 'mayons'. YEAH! Get drunk! Ride my hog! Beat my wife! Watch nascar! Watch football! Do nothing with my life except save for a huge BBQ and an SUV that I don't tow anything with!

Ugh...

Harley= 5000000000000X louder than loud cars.

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 8, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I really think that most people who add loud exhaust packs to their mid-range cars (like Civics) are dealing with some sort of compensatory issues. Unless you do a lot of modding to the engine, you're still going to have a pretty much stock, middle-of-the-road powerplant, and putting a loud, buzzy muffler on it just makes it louder and buzzier. And don't these products also alter back presure and thus affect fuel efficiency?
If it's a turbo car less back pressure = good. Turbo kits for hondas are dirt cheap.

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 8, 2006, 05:57 PM

I just love muscle cars, rice burners are annoying. That was a good commercial. Can't wait for the Dodge Challenger.
Shitty ricers are annoying. Supras, 3000GTs, RX7s, 300ZXs, and of course my flat six SVX sound great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules