Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I married an Asain woman

I married an Asain woman
Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2006, 08:06 PM

After reading This that and everything else on the rants and raves boards of Graigslist.org regarding interracial couples.
I thought I would ask the membership of MacNN about how you fell about interracial marriage and the benefits and problems that can and have presented themselves.

I will honestly answer all questions posted to this thread.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2006, 08:13 PM

The only issues you will have with it is other people's issues with it.

I see nothing wrong with it, but where I grew up (98% white), I'm sure you would run into a few ignorant people that might say something inappropriate (many not knowing what they were saying was wrong) [Example: Calling someone "Oriental"]

Again, while I have nothing wrong with it, I find it interesting that some people are more accepting to caucasians marrying asians as compared to african americans.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2006, 08:13 PM

Not me...

my wife is nuts!
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 08:31 PM

What race are you, S_P?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 08:36 PM

I think marrying a person of a different race is fine, but unless you have both grown up in basically the same way you will have problems that you will need to work out (more so than people that were raised in the same society). For example, marrying a Filipino woman that has grown up here is the USA would be WAY different than marrying a Filipino woman that grew up in a rural community in the Philippines. The race is not the cause of the difficulties, it is the difference in upbringings, beliefs, and all the different social aspects of it. Does a white man feel the same way about seemingly harmess black jokes as his black wife might? Does he value families in the same way she does? Do they both believe in raising their children in the same way? There is a whole lot of differences that are brought out when two people from (practically) different worlds try to make things work out.

Marriage by itself is difficult, and I think marrying interracially probably makes things even more difficult. I am in no way saying it can't work out well, I just believe that it would take more work.

And no, the problems are not just other peoples' "issues" with it.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2006, 08:41 PM

Orientals are OK, but they can get a bit grumpy and they don't age well.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Secret__Police View Post
After reading This that and everything else on the rants and raves boards of Graigslist.org regarding interracial couples.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules