Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This is why I don't shake hands with people...

This is why I don't shake hands with people... (Page 2)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 16, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
maybe I should scratch the "down-low" part
Do that around your other friends, but feel free not to do that around me.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2008, 01:08 PM

My sister-in-law carries a bottle of hand sanitizer in her purse and obsessively uses it whenever she feels she might've been exposed to anything in particular

Nurses
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by NeverTriedApple View Post
Ewe?!.. I'd rather stay at home.
You have sheep at home?

I'd rather pick up a *girl*, but to each his own.

Wait, what was this thread about?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2008, 01:19 PM

That's why I never kiss a girl until I have her rinse her mouth with listerine. You never know where their mouths have been and what nasty bacteria they are cultivating in their mouths.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 02:14 PM

That's why I always keep listerine in my mouth before the first kiss and blast it into her mouth upon kissing her. So far most have found it oddly...well, nm. Well, except for one where it backed up and came out her nose, that was just gross.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 03:18 PM

That's way I let girls only shake my...

Nevermind.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
My sister-in-law carries a bottle of hand sanitizer in her purse and obsessively uses it whenever she feels she might've been exposed to anything in particular

Nurses
That's actually for her patient's safety, not hers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 05:14 PM

Had to edit my previous post. Poor choice of phrasing...

Atomic Rooster
Oct 17, 2008, 02:30 AM

I guess I should start using toilet paper and washing my hands.

Gets worse the further north you go? What of the Scotchies?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's way I let girls only shake my...

Nevermind.

-t
shaking is fine; tapping on the other hand...

hayesk
Oct 17, 2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Have you any idea how much fecal matter is sprayed into the air when you flush the toilet? You probably have more fecal matter on your toothbrush than on your hands after a week without washing.
I think that was proven wrong on Mythbusters. In the same test, they concluded one of the cleanest places in your home is the top of your toilet seat.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I think that was proven wrong on Mythbusters. In the same test, they concluded one of the cleanest places in your home is the top of your toilet seat.
You need to re-watch that episode. They concluded that not only is fecal matter sprayed everywhere in the bathroom, that it also made it onto the toothbrush that was placed in the next room over at the kitchen sink. IIRC, the lab where they tested for fecal coliform(sp) was at Duke Univ.

On a separate note, Doofy, you're going to have to not only stop shaking hands, you're going to have to stop breathing.

Whenever you can smell something, you're inhaling it. Smell something unpleasant? That something is now in your nose, in very tiny particulates. It gets better: your nasal passages connect with your mouth. Smell fresh droppings somewhere? It's now in your mouth.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 09:36 AM

Haha after that post he and Jawbone are gonna be stuck in their own supersanitized houses forever....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Haha after that post he and Jawbone are gonna be stuck in their own supersanitized houses forever....

greg
... with tubes stuck in their bums so that when they use the bathroom it wont get the airborne fecal matter anywhere.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2008, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
... with tubes stuck in their bums so that when they use the bathroom it wont get the airborne fecal matter anywhere.
No tubes of any kind coming anywhere near my bum.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2008, 11:19 AM

I am currently a student at a major health care university, which includes a nursing school, a medical school and a dental school. I find it saddening and a bit disgusting how few other men I see washing their hands when they finish in the rest room both at school and "on the job." Of course a surgeon washes the be-gee-zus out of his/her hands all the way up to the elbows before doing anything "on the job," and the rest of us wash thoroughly between patients, and often between procedures on the same patient.

Now the good news. e coli is everywhere, especially HUMAN e coli. Our skin is a huge barrier to any problems from that and most other bacteria. And yes, washing your hands before you get them near your mouth, or near something that will go in your mouth, is more than adequate to control just about all bacteria and even most viri.

And Peter, it's interesting to note that human genitalia are actually cleaner than human mouths (assuming nothing "out of the ordinary" has been done with said genitalia, that is). Healthy "naughty bits" don't need brushing or flossing, but one's mouth needs both and frequently... In and of themselves, one's genitals are benign when it comes to germs. And unpleasant though it may be, urine is sterile when it is expressed, so as long as you don't urinate all over yourself, you're fine there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tiresias
Oct 20, 2008, 10:23 AM

I once read a study in the New Scientist about bacteria and fecal, urinary and even sperm vestiges in bar-top peanut and pretzel bowls and restaurant mints. Long and the short of it is, I stay well away from all of the above. Ew.

Forum Links
Forum Rules