Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express, Xbox, and a switch

Airport Express, Xbox, and a switch
MaskdBagel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 03:27 PM

I have what's hopefully a pretty simple question for you all.
I have an Airport Express that I use all the time to stream music. It's my only router at the moment, and I'd like to keep it since I like the music thing and the remote printing. I'm running the new Xbox 360 dash, and Netflix streaming is pretty slow because the wireless adapter for my Xbox sucks.
What I want to do is this:

Modem -> Switch -> Airport Express from one port, Xbox (wired) from another

And still use the Airport Express to access the internet, stream music, etc. from my computer.

Will this work, or am I going to encounter a whole bunch of DHCP/IP issues that keep this from working smoothly?
If I just need to do some setup, can anyone advise me on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 03:35 PM

Yes, it will work just fine. Just plug stuff in and go. Should be zero setup required.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2008, 09:29 PM

Assuming the "switch" is actually a router/switch combination and the Airport Express has DHCP/NAT disabled, sure.

MaskdBagel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2008, 01:13 PM

OK. Got home and had exactly the problem I was afraid of. It looks like the router and the Xbox are each trying to grab an IP. Whichever one I start using first after power cycling my modem and switch works fine, and the other one doesn't.

The switch is this one, which may or may not be the switch/router combination described above.

The only way I can find to disable DHCP on an Airport Express is to set it to bridge mode, which breaks any internet access my computer attempts through it.

Any more suggestions? I feel like I must just be some configuration tweaks away from success here...

Thanks!

ibook_steve
Oct 21, 2008, 02:21 PM

You don't need the switch, and if you do for other wired components (since there's only one ethernet port on the AE), it should be on the other side of the AE, not directly connected to the modem.

I'm not sure why you're putting the switch between the modem and the router.

Edit: Whoops! Airport Express only has one ethernet jack to connect to the modem. I was thinking of the Extreme. In that case, I don't think you can do what you want to do unless you use the wireless connection on the XBox or get a different wireless router that has an extra ethernet port for wired devices. Or you can get a wireless bridge (wireless to ethernet device) and put the switch after that for multiple devices.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2008, 10:14 PM

You need a router/switch combination in place of the switch you already have. Fortunately, they're relatively cheap.

A wireless bridge is slower, less reliable, and more expensive, and there's no reason to buy another wireless router.

Forum Links
Forum Rules