Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Children

Children (Page 5)
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2009, 10:23 PM

But every sperm is sacred.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
But every sperm is sacred.
just watched that last night; fantastic movie!

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2009, 10:20 AM

At the moment (I'm 23), I wouldn't want to have children until I'm out of graduate school* (so, figure around age 30 at a minimum).

*The plan is to enter graduate school in the fall of 2010 for a PhD, which means a 5 or so year program in my field.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows View Post
At the moment (I'm 23), I wouldn't want to have children until I'm out of graduate school* (so, figure around age 30 at a minimum).

*The plan is to enter graduate school in the fall of 2010 for a PhD, which means a 5 or so year program in my field.
What field is that? Depending on which one it is, you could be more "parent ready" (or maybe more "parent averse") before your given deadline.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
I am well aware of the tone of my post, and it conveyed the correct one. I do NOT want to ever hear or see another child. I do NOT want to listen to their collective whiney and/or screaming in a restaurant while I'm trying to have a quiet dinner. I do NOT want to be bumped against when I'm shopping because their owners cannot be bother to restrain them. A good example: I went to a restaurant for a quiet lunch in the middle of the day .. there was one table occupied so I specifically asked for a table at the other end of the restaurant. In less than 10 minutes the vile abomination at the other table was running around and then crawled under MY table. Its owners thought it was 'cute' and were laughing about it until I rather loudly announced "does anyone own this or do I need to call the dog warden?". The quickly collected the obnoxious offspring and left. I never want to have to suffer a repeat of this behaviour.
Very sad. I suggest that you stay in your house/flat/caravan/cell. Or only use drive-throughs and takeaways.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 09:42 AM

I am well aware of the tone of my post, and it conveyed the correct one. I do NOT want to ever hear or see another child. I do NOT want to listen to their collective whiney and/or screaming in a restaurant while I'm trying to have a quiet dinner. I do NOT want to be bumped against when I'm shopping because their owners cannot be bother to restrain them. A good example: I went to a restaurant for a quiet lunch in the middle of the day .. there was one table occupied so I specifically asked for a table at the other end of the restaurant. In less than 10 minutes the vile abomination at the other table was running around and then crawled under MY table. Its owners thought it was 'cute' and were laughing about it until I rather loudly announced "does anyone own this or do I need to call the dog warden?". The quickly collected the obnoxious offspring and left. I never want to have to suffer a repeat of this behaviour.
And from this we can all assume that you were the perfect child in every way, endowed from birth with adult-like understanding and wisdom, able to modulate every movement and every turn of voice as if you were a musician lovingly playing a masterpiece? Being clumsy and loud are hallmarks of childhood-it's how they learn how to move and speak. Calling a child "it" is so abhorrently de-humanizing that I can't imagine you being worthwhile company for others, so I doubt you'll ever have to worry about parenthood. The whole "becoming a parent" thing involves another person, plus there's some mess involved from the beginning... Not neat, mechanical and tidy by any means.

Yes, I'm being scornful and sarcastic. Treating human beings like they are not even living things is not acceptable social behavior in any setting. Be displeased that parents aren't better at dealing with their children's behaviors, but don't blame these unformed, innocent people for not being YOUR idea of nice little automatons.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 09:48 AM

hey so the guy doesn't ever want to interact with children. fair enough, I feel the same way about assholes.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2009, 09:48 AM

Wow. Elitist Ass™ much? I mean, I certainly get a bit weary of our children after a few weeks of them not being in school during summer break, but wow. Just wow. You should, most definitely, secure yourself a private island and stay there.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
hey so the guy doesn't ever want to interact with children. fair enough, I feel the same way about assholes.
The difference is, however, that assholes (whom I hate with all my being) are usually teens to adults, and have every opportunity to control their behavior THEMSELVES. Children don't, and even if the most attentive parent is on the job, it is impossible to keep children from being curious or fun-loving 100% of the time. As well, it would be fairly, um, assholish to do so anyway.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 09:58 AM

...and new life was breathed into the thread.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 2, 2009, 10:09 AM

Like giving birth. This thread is now colourfastt's child. It better behave, or I shall be forced to call the dog warden!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 10:12 AM

...or maybe the cat superintendent!

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
The difference is, however, that assholes (whom I hate with all my being) are usually teens to adults, and have every opportunity to control their behavior THEMSELVES. Children don't, and even if the most attentive parent is on the job, it is impossible to keep children from being curious or fun-loving 100% of the time. As well, it would be fairly, um, assholish to do so anyway.
Neither children, nor assholes, nor this thread are going anywhere.

That was my point.

colourfastt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Like giving birth. This thread is now colourfastt's child. It better behave, or I shall be forced to call the dog warden!
For the record, I do not, have not, and shall never own any of those vile abominations.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 12:03 PM

For the record, no one actually cares.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2009, 12:42 PM

For the record, I do not, have not, and shall never own any of those vile abominations.
If my kids ever have the misfortune of sharing a restaurant space with you, I hope the waiters will have the good sense to ask you to leave.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 04:30 AM

Dakar is right, nobody cares, but we will belittle you for a while longer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules