Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad=turd

iPad=turd (Page 4)
Thread Tools
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I'm not saying it's defective (put words in my mouth will ya), but it is a half-assed product that should have seen a couple more engineering revisions before it saw the light of day. Unfortunately, there are too many Apple fanatics out there who are willing to buy anything they sell, largely due to the fantastic success of the iPhone and iPod. Are they stupid? No, just caught up in moment.
Are you seriously surprised that people would consider that assessment an insult?

Are you that full of yourself?

     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 06:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Excellent news. I hope that Aperture behaves the same. Thankyou for the testing.
Aperture does just the same, it sees the iPad as a storage device and imports images with no problems.

Shaddim, you're coming across as an arrogant prig. If the iPad doesn't work for you then fair enough. But don't tell me that I am an Apple drone because I enjoy mine.

I own both an iPad and a dedicated reader. The iPad I use every day, typing on it right now, the reader will be going on craigslist later.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 08:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Get rid of all that shitty bezel and it'll improve. Right now ours is sitting on the coffee table. My wife thought it was neat for a week or so, and now it's almost forgotten.

THAT's what I'm talking about.
Do y'all have micro-hands or something? My fingers are pretty stubby, and I could still use a touch more bezel. My left thumb will roll on the screen every now and again, which turns a slide or a tap with my right finger into a pinch.

Sometimes my left thumb will do a copy select on the whole page too.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 08:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Shaddim, you're coming across as an arrogant prig. If the iPad doesn't work for you then fair enough. But don't tell me that I am an Apple drone because I enjoy mine.

I own both an iPad and a dedicated reader. The iPad I use every day, typing on it right now, the reader will be going on craigslist later.
<aside>
Ssh! Nobody tell him he's an Apple drone! They don't like to hear that!
</aside>
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 08:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Pfftt, I said less than that and you're crying to me over it. You're entitled to your opinion, but I do believe you're more than a little biased due to Apple's song and dance they used to promote the thing.
I've said many times already, if you don't like it, then DON'T buy it. Just don't tell me what *I* need or don't need.

That's not biased. (BTW: That's still not an attack on you.)
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 09:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I'm not saying it's defective (put words in my mouth will ya), but it is a half-assed product that should have seen a couple more engineering revisions before it saw the light of day. Unfortunately, there are too many Apple fanatics out there who are willing to buy anything they sell, largely due to the fantastic success of the iPhone and iPod. Are they stupid? No, just caught up in moment.

And to be clear, I didn't buy it, my wife did. If it had been my decision I would have left it at the Apple store. Now we have a nice paper weight. Not that I care very much, it's not that expensive, but it could have been so much better.
IPad sales are reportedly going to surpass 7 million this year. The device doesn't fit your needs, but apparently some people seem to enjoy it. With that amount of popularity, you could surely make a good amount of your money back by selling it.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 10:02 AM
 
For those who don't have a laptop or an iphone or other secondary device, it's very nice.
     
Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 02:27 PM
 
Bought my 32 GB iPad 3G the day they came out. I use it probably 2 hours a day most days, and when I go on a trip, probably 8-10 hours on those days. It's a great device, and serves me as a laptop would, except its battery lasts 4x as long, it weighs 1/4 as much, and it has lots of great games when I have a minute of downtime that were either free or only cost me $1-2.

Honestly, the OP is a troll, but for anyone who is considering an iPad, I love mine. BTW, get the iCab browser. It's way better that mobile Safari, especially if you like tabbed browsing.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by driven View Post
I've said many times already, if you don't like it, then DON'T buy it. Just don't tell me what *I* need or don't need.

That's not biased. (BTW: That's still not an attack on you.)
You're quite defensive about anyone giving their opinions about a product's shortcomings, aren't you? We could go for hours about the difference between what people need and what they desire. However, it comes down to marketing, peer pressure, and how much disposable income you have. If you feel that a massive iPod touch is the end-all, be-all of mobile computing, then so be it. But, there are multitudes of people who feel that the iPad could have been a lot more and were expecting a real tablet Mac.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Do y'all have micro-hands or something? My fingers are pretty stubby, and I could still use a touch more bezel. My left thumb will roll on the screen every now and again, which turns a slide or a tap with my right finger into a pinch.

Sometimes my left thumb will do a copy select on the whole page too.
Maybe it's my regular use of the Kindle DX and nook, but I'm pretty deft at handling tablets. Like I said before, if it were more like a Mac and less like an iPad/iPhone then I'd be less critical regarding the device. However, the 1.5" bezel, weight, and bulge in the back (which makes it harder to grip and prop up) are unreasonable compromises for a device with such glaring limitations in function. But then, I'm not saying anything that Anand himself didn't bring up in his first review, he just seems to be more forgiving of such things.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Are you seriously surprised that people would consider that assessment an insult?

Are you that full of yourself?

I'm pretty comfortable with my convictions, and I've never cared how people view my ego. That's probably what separates self-made multi-millionaires from most other folks. Very seldom do I back down when I believe I'm right, and that annoys a lot of people. Furthermore, if others can't handle someone giving a frank assessment regarding a piece of electronics then they really need to avoid forum discussions.

Originally Posted by Phileas
Shaddim, you're coming across as an arrogant prig. If the iPad doesn't work for you then fair enough. But don't tell me that I am an Apple drone because I enjoy mine.
And you're coming across as a defensive fanboy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:04 PM
 
I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now it's obvious. I'm done feeding the troll.
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:25 PM
 
I'm not trolling, I own the thing and it's a disappointment. If you don't see that it could have been a much better product if Jobs and Ivey had taken their heads out of their asses, then I'm simply baffled. Vaya con Dios.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:28 PM
 
And everyone who isn't disappointed is a brainless fanboy.

We get it.

Pompous ass.
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That's probably what separates self-made multi-millionaires from most other folks.
No. It separates braggarts like you from people with manners.

Every single self made wo/man I know, and I know quite a few, is about as humble as they come. For the most part they are almost apologetic about their monetary worth.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:34 PM
 
Boys, boys, boys. Settle down.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
And everyone who isn't disappointed is a brainless fanboy.

We get it.
Let me think about that. Hmmm... That's probably a little extreme. I would phrase it more as, "if they don't see how it could have been a revolutionary device, then they're blinded by Apple's glamor".

Pompous ass.
There's no need for that. We often come out on the same side on many issues regarding music, audio gear, and the like. Why you'd seek to alienate and insult me over something like this is disappointing.

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
No. It separates braggarts like you from people with manners.

Every single self made wo/man I know, and I know quite a few, is about as humble as they come. For the most part they are almost apologetic about their monetary worth.
No, I'm just blunt. They're probably the same way, you just don't get to see that side of them very often.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
and after it sheds half a pound, loses 1.5" of bezel, and they get rid of the stupid bulge in the back.
I find the bulge to be quite ergonomic actually. I don't see any issues with the hardware, except maybe a higher resolution screen. For me the software is what cripples it and makes it essentially useless.
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 05:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If you don't see that it could have been a much better product if Jobs and Ivey had taken their heads out of their asses, then I'm simply baffled. Vaya con Dios.
The same twisted logic could be applied to any product made by any company in the history of computers. If not other industries.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 06:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Maybe it's my regular use of the Kindle DX and nook, but I'm pretty deft at handling tablets. Like I said before, if it were more like a Mac and less like an iPad/iPhone then I'd be less critical regarding the device. However, the 1.5" bezel, weight, and bulge in the back (which makes it harder to grip and prop up) are unreasonable compromises for a device with such glaring limitations in function. But then, I'm not saying anything that Anand himself didn't bring up in his first review, he just seems to be more forgiving of such things.
If you found it problematic because of the weight and shape, your call for a smaller bezel doesn't really make much sense.

Wouldn't that only make it worse?
     
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 06:28 PM
 
Sounds like someone is having a bit of buyer's remorse and trying to feel better about it by placing all others who have bought one into the mindless fanboy category. Good show.
     
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tampa, Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 07:09 PM
 
To anyone who would like a straight trade up from an iP4 to an iPad, I am there for you.
The iPad has zero reception issues.
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 07:51 PM
 
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 08:24 PM
 
I can see where Shaddim is coming from. The iPad really isn't a useful device if you're like many people on this forum and already have an iPhone or iPod touch. And he's right that it'd definitely be more useful if it were more Mac-like and not iPod touch-like. I mean, there's only so much you can do while having one app open at a time, with no file system, etc.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 10:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Sounds like someone is having a bit of buyer's remorse and trying to feel better about it by placing all others who have bought one into the mindless fanboy category. Good show.
Again, for those who aren't paying attention, I didn't buy it. My wife came in after the release with one in her hands, she was all excited and "ooooing" over it. Now it just sits. It's her paperweight, not mine.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 11:03 PM
 
So what's the problem then?
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 11:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
So what's the problem then?
It's unfortunate that it's not what it should have been? If it were a real OS X tablet, I'd be thrilled. Instead, it's a big iPod Touch. Blah.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2010, 11:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's unfortunate that it's not what it should have been? If it were a real OS X tablet, I'd be thrilled. Instead, it's a big iPod Touch. Blah.
That's an understandable complaint. But, can you imagine what it would cost to have hardware capable of running OS X squeezed into the form factor of a tablet? Not cheap ... I'm imagining MacBook Air specs (at best) and a price tag of at least $2250.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 12:04 AM
 
Why can't the A4 run a light version of OS X?
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 12:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why can't the A4 run a light version of OS X?
Isn't iOS the light version of OS X?
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 02:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why can't the A4 run a light version of OS X?
Because OS X is a mouse/window/menu-based OS.

Building Shaddim's dream "OS X tablet" would make an utterly useless, marvellously fiddly device.

For an impression, download the free Mocha VNC and try to remote-control an OS X Mac using your finger.

It's barely possible, but not really usable until somebody completely redesigns the entire interface for every single application from the ground up - oh wait; that's what iOS is.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 08:13 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
That's an understandable complaint. But, can you imagine what it would cost to have hardware capable of running OS X squeezed into the form factor of a tablet? Not cheap ... I'm imagining MacBook Air specs (at best) and a price tag of at least $2250.
Don't forget a pound heavier, a quarter the battery life, and you could fry an egg on it.

Just so you can ram a mouse-based peg into a touchscreen hole.

What a horrible idea. Sounds like something Microsoft would do.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 08:28 AM
 
While I'm sure a thinner model with better resolution and more bells and whistles is in line for the next rev, the current model is good for me. What I really wish I had was the 3G for anywhere reception.

Shaddim, if your wife doesn't use it you should sell it -- actually, since you're rich, you should give it away. I propose a contest thread!
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 08:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
What a horrible idea. Sounds like something Microsoft would do.
It's something that Windows-based computer manufacturers *did* do. The tablets were bulky, under performing and more expensive than the most expensive laptops. And, probably half as many people bought them as have already bought iPads.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 09:12 AM
 
Hence the wink.
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Building Shaddim's dream "OS X tablet" would make an utterly useless, marvellously fiddly device.
Exactly. A mouse driven OS does not make a good touch driven OS.
     
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 12:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's unfortunate that it's not what it should have been? If it were a real OS X tablet, I'd be thrilled. Instead, it's a big iPod Touch. Blah.
So you belittle everyone who enjoys their iPad, and your brilliant solution to "fix" Apple's "failure" is to put OS X on it? What a horrible idea. Do you even pay attention to the history of tablets?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 12:08 PM
 
The point of the iPad was it wasn't supposed to be a tablet. I thought that was obvious after they unveiled it.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 06:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Isn't iOS the light version of OS X?
Apple says it is, but the only true similarity is that they are Cocoa based.
     
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 08:49 PM
 
Uh, and Darwin-based.

I would imagine the intersection of iOS & Mac OS X’s C codebases is comparable to that of their Objective-C codebases, maybe bigger.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 10:04 PM
 
Still, that's like saying the iPhone 4 and 3GS are the same because they both use 3G.
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 10:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Apple says it is, but the only true similarity is that they are Cocoa based.
mitchell, I'm not sure what you mean by that. iOS is a paired down OS X with a mobile touch OS UI instead of a Mac UI; its APIs and UI may be dissimilar but at the lower internal levels it's still very much OS X. It's definitely Darwin at the low levels, topped by various media player components (probably based on much of QuickTime X) and the Kits. iOS probably runs many of the same internal OS processes as OS X. If you can find an iOS architectural diagram and compare it to one for OS X you'll see how similar they are. You can also see the similarities in directory structures if you SSH into a jailbroken iDevice. And as a matter of fact iOS 4 brings feature parity with a number of recently updated Mac OS X technologies.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 8, 2010, 11:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Apple says it is, but the only true similarity is that they are Cocoa based.
Could you describe what you think a light OS X would look like?
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 9, 2010, 04:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Apple says it is, but the only true similarity is that they are Cocoa based.
Actually OS X is Cocoa and iOS is Cocoa Touch. Cocoa and Cocoa Touch have major similarities but also major differences. As Spheric Harlot has noted elsewhere, the key issue being the hugely different concept of finger-only input.

-Allen
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,