Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Sawtooth server

G4 Sawtooth server
gse1woody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 10:11 AM

My wife and I each have new laptops so I want to turn my G4 Sawtooth in to a file server / print server. Can I do both and how do I do it ? I am at work so I have not dug around all of the threads. If there are already some explaining the setup, please just point me in the right direction.

G4 Sawtooth 450Mhz / 680GB HDD / 1.5G RAM / DVD-RW (DL) / 802.11G / OS X 10.4.10

Thanks

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2007, 10:59 AM

Print and file serving is simple:
(i) Connect all printers you need to your Sawtooth. Create printers via Print Center on the Sawtooth.
(ii) Create an admin user for safety reasons. Create a user for yourself and your wife (I assume you've done this already). You may also create just one user if you want to share all files, whatever floats your boat.
(iii) Open the System Prefs > Sharing and tick `Printer Sharing' and `Personal File Sharing'. (If you or your wife has a Windows laptop, activate Windows Sharing and make sure to allow both users to log in.)

Done.

The printers should appear `magically' on your Mac laptops. You can connect to the Server via the Finder: Network > [name of server] or (in case the server doesn't appear there) via the Finder's menu: Go To > Connect To Server. You can obviously create an Alias on your Desktop if you want to have a shortcut.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gse1woody  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 10:58 AM

Sounds easy enough....I got the printer part working last night....

Thanks for the help.

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 11:44 AM

I had some issue using iTunes music sharing to an XP laptop from my 400mhz Sawtooth - even over ethernet it sometimes overran its buffer. Otherwise, works fine as a file server.

One thing to keep in mind is that the internal IDE bus limits drive size to 120gb. If you want to go larger you need to add an (inexpensive) IDE expansion card or an external FW drive (or external USB 2.0 with a USB 2.0 expansion card).

gse1woody  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:39 PM

I don't have to worry about the XP stuff. I just bought my wife a MacBook 13".

We are now an all Mac family.....
Me: PowerMac G4 Sawtooth / Powerbook G4 17" 1.67GHz
Wife: Macbook 13" 2.16GHz
Daughter: B&W G3 PowerMac 400MHz

Now it is time for a new Touch iPod ;-)

OreoCookie
Sep 5, 2007, 03:04 PM

BTW, you can also share music by enabling Music sharing in iTunes and iTunes Music Sharing in the System Prefs > Sharing > Firewall.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
BTW, you can also share music by enabling Music sharing in iTunes and iTunes Music Sharing in the System Prefs > Sharing > Firewall.
That's what I was doing - for some reason it couldn't keep up with the stream

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 04:29 PM

If you want to add a >120 Gig hd you can put it in an external firewire case.... Old macs do make great file servers.

gse1woody  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 05:21 PM

I have two 160GB internal hard drives and one 360GB USB (2.0) external drive. The only thing that has not been upgraded in it is the CPU. I just overclocked it from 350MHz to 450MHz.
( Last edited by gse1woody; Sep 8, 2007 at 02:25 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules