Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Energy Saver Is M.i.a.!

Energy Saver Is M.i.a.!
JAVA4ALL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 05:58 PM

Earlier this week, my barely 1-year-old iBook G4 had some power issues: the halo on the adapter displayed green (battery fully charged) when it should have shown orange (battery charging). Even left charging overnight, the battery charge never went over 30%, the date/time had to be re-set several times, AND the Energy Saver in System Preferences has vanished (only the icon remains as shown in Sys Pref). When I click on the icon, it says it's loading.....but it never displays. I know I've used it before -- I clearly remember setting the preferences when I first bought my iBook.

Per the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, here are the instructions that solved MOST of these issues: do an Archive and Install, electing to save User Preferences, etc.; update software to current standards, and replace the battery via Apple's Battery Replacement Program. (Although I hadn't experienced any "hot battery" problems, it turned out mine was one of those that might cause overheating and power problems.)

However, Energy Saver is still Missing In Action so I can't check or change its settings; I'm not savvy enough to review the directory listing to know which files are which. When I double-clicked on "EnergySaver pref pane", the message asked "what application do you want to open this?"

I'm open to feedback and ideas for resurrecting Energy Saver :-)

Thanks!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 01:43 PM

Very important question: do you still have to reset the date and time on a regular basis?

Your PMU may have crashed. Do a PMU reset.

Also, see if you have the same problems when logging in as a different user. If not, you have a corrupt preference file.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules