Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > icloud flaw: opening excel files everywhere

icloud flaw: opening excel files everywhere
kevs
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2017, 08:15 PM

I just uploaded important excel file to files in icloud. I would assume if lost your laptop while traveling you could go to a public computer and log into icloud and view files, but is seems only offer a download to desktop, is that crazy? There is a info, view file, but the files come up as a small thumbnails and I can't see anything. Any tips? Thanks

reader50
Administrator
Dec 12, 2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
... excel file ...
I'm no expert on iCloud, but this might be the problem. A Microsoft proprietary format. Try saving the file as ODF (Open Document Format) and see if that makes it preview-able.

If Apple built preview modules, I'd expect them for open standards and for Apple file types.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2017, 09:46 PM

Sorry never heard of this....

the scenario, is if you lost laptop (only device while traveling), yet have some important excel files on icloud.com that you want to see (I memorized my icloud log in)

So you go to a public computer to see.. but even on my home mac, icloud.com I could only see excel files if I did the forced download to desktop. I guess even all public computers you could safely delete the file... and empty trash?

Ok but have point.. you can't count on every computer to be able to open or view my excel files ok?.. Ah.. then just keep trying defferent devices, ask hotel others...

andi*pandi
Dec 13, 2017, 11:53 AM

Yup, icloud and dropbox can't open microsoft files anymore. So you can use icloud to save your files, but still need excel on the machine you are downloading to.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2017, 07:15 PM

Ah so abroad, I wont be able to see.. drag.

andi*pandi
Dec 14, 2017, 12:19 PM

I believe microsoft sells excel all around the planet. Just a matter of finding an internet cafe that has the app, or paying for the office app on your ipad/phone.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2017, 01:37 PM

Thanks Andi, this idea scenario i lose the laptop on a trip (currently I leave iphone at home); and then go to notes for into... at cafe or hotel....But you have a good point -- keep an eye out for one with Excel! So this thread helps, as I would be wondering wtf

Forum Links
Forum Rules