Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Theme: Watercolor port

Theme: Watercolor port
CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 05:28 PM

Well I'm entirely new to theme-making, and it's going extremely slow. I don't see how Max, Swiz, Izawa, etc. had the time to make just one of their themes as complete as they all have, it's insane.

Anyway, my first real stab into a theme is a port of the Watercolor interface originally designed by MS for Whistler/XP -- like it or not. No flames please, I think it's a really smooth and clean look that I wanted to adapt to OS X.

So how much is done you ask? Probably about 5% if you go by the standards Max and Swiz have set ;P

Right now i've got the titlebars and widgets more or less finalized, the scrollbars still need some help -- they're really dull, not sure which direction I'm gonna go w/ the toolbar background yet, and the menu bar is just barely -- the apple logo will be changed as well, it's just made to match the rest for now until I have more time. Obviously you can see this theme is based on the ChosenOS.rsrc, because there are still a ton of ChosenOS elements -- and even some AlumiteX elements because the creator/porter of ChosenOS (dazzla? rgoer? honestly don't remember) designed it ontop of AlumiteX.

Anyway, I don't know how far this will make it, I'm dreading the tabs and the popup buttons, radio buttons, checkboxes, etc... Any feedback is welcomed.

Oh yeah, I wasn't gonna leave you hanging, here's a Preview screenshot:

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/themes.html

Later
-Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 05:32 PM

Wow! That looks really good!

I would use it in a second.

Looks great with the pixeljerk / rad-E8 icons.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 8, 2002, 05:41 PM

Cool, release real quick before someone takes the idea and makes it their own.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 05:47 PM

Zimphire
Cool, release real quick before someone takes the idea and makes it their own.
Heh, I should be so lucky... if Max or Swiz wanted to take this off of my hands... heh, they could turn this into a stellar theme within a matter of days I'm sure.

Later
-Carbon

ambush
Banned
Dec 8, 2002, 05:54 PM

What is the app with docked windows? Looks nice.

Nice theme

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 05:56 PM

I like the idea for this theme. It looks good so far, I hope you finish it.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 05:59 PM

ambush
What is the app with docked windows? Looks nice.
It's just DragThing -- I have two vertical dragthing "docks" as backgrounds to the Dock on the left and my Minimized Windows (via MIP Dock hack) on the right.

-carbon

plot twist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 06:27 PM

move te light blue stuff to the left side of the title bar and get rid of the divider that's there now. then change the buttons from windows style to mac style(the minimize and maximize i mean). otherwise, looking good.

wasn't there a blue-grey variation of this? i thought that looked nicer. maybe after you finish, you can do the other color variations.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 06:38 PM

plot twist
move te light blue stuff to the left side of the title bar and get rid of the divider that's there now. then change the buttons from windows style to mac style(the minimize and maximize i mean). otherwise, looking good.

wasn't there a blue-grey variation of this? i thought that looked nicer. maybe after you finish, you can do the other color variations.
My original version was about as you described it (w/ the light blue on the left and the dark on the right end cap) -- but it just didn't look right to me. As for the widget divider, that was just a personal touch inspired from ChosenOS, I thought it looked cool.

Anyway, for now I imagine I'll leave it how I have it until I finish the theme (if that happens)... then I'd be willing to do the the color variations for sure and maybe change the titlebar. I already intend on adding the X - + widgets in the "graphite" setting so you'll be all set there.

Thank you for the input guys.

Later
-carbon

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 07:11 PM

looks good.. im still about to realease a theme here but have no time to finish it and it makes me mad.

foobars
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 07:20 PM

That looks awesome. Isn't this the original Whistler theme?

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 07:33 PM

Well here are two alternative designs for the titlebar, but I don't think I'll implement either unless there is strong support for one.

What does everyone think?

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 07:56 PM

I favor Alt #2, it looks smoother than the other two. I don't like the vertical lines dividing the titlebar.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
Well here are two alternative designs for the titlebar, but I don't think I'll implement either unless there is strong support for one.

What does everyone think?

Alt 2.

The toolbar button needs more of a buttony feel to it, maybe a shadow and and slightly lighter colour inside.

I probably won't use this theme.
In vino veritas.

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2002, 08:45 PM

Alt. 2.

I've been waiting for this theme to be ported for...for a long time.

It looks great so far Carbon. Keep it up.

Everybody Runs...12/17/02

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 08:59 PM

w00t! i have what i think is the perfect solution... lemme know your thoughts:

-carbon

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2002, 09:19 PM

That is perfect Carbon. Perfect.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 09:20 PM

w00t! i have what i think is the perfect solution... lemme know your thoughts:

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/images/new.jpg[/img]

-carbon
I think that is a good soulution too. Do you have the Mac widgets version in place yet? I know you said that will be in the graphite option. I was just curious as to how it will look with those.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 09:28 PM

The only thing I don't like is the toolbar collapse icon in the top right of the window. Too big and dull.

abbie1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 09:40 PM

good looking theme, but it resembles a lot like that ChosenOS theme.

I have that ChosenOS theme look on my machine, its pretty much based off of ChosenOS with a few minor changes. But, i just didnt want to release it.

nice nonetheless.

Ramza
Dec 8, 2002, 09:58 PM

Saaaaaaaaaay, this looks pretty cool. Release it soonly onegai!
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 11:25 PM

Considering the volitility of the ChosenOS situation and the fact that it should even be out there, I would pay careful mind to remove all of its elements.

I have a reason for this post.... just can't say yet what it is.

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2002, 12:55 AM

Heh, I should be so lucky... if Max or Swiz wanted to take this off of my hands... heh, they could turn this into a stellar theme within a matter of days I'm sure.

Later
-Carbon
Or you could do it yourself and take your time. We need more themers out there. We don't kneed a themer monopoly. Diversity is good.

I recently decided to get back into the themeing scene again. I have some big plans for Simple Aqua.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 01:04 AM

Zimphire, yeah I've been cranking away at this -- I've got friggin finals tomorrow (and the rest of this week). I intend to do as much of this theme as I am capable of. But after this I doubt I do another theme for a looong time, this stuff is too tedious. Apple made this so unnecessarily difficult, I just now got done w/ the pop-up dialog window buttons and the pop-up text buttons. Also redesigned the apple menu which is not big deal, don't know that many will like it (after you see my next screenshot... prolly tomorrow). Haven't gotten around to the toolbar widget yet as requested... or the X-+ widgets but they are coming for sure.

Later
::carbon::

foobars
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 04:39 AM

Carbon that looks amazing!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 12:48 PM

Realy nice, almost a perfect translation
Any chance of the 'Grey' Watercolour variant?
example

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2002, 12:53 PM

that is one great farking port! i would definately use it. i don't care what some of the mac guys say, some of the more recent M$ GUI stuff is pretty good (Luna, Whistler, etc.)

i love Max's Luna port, and this would go nicely with that.

Ramza
Dec 9, 2002, 09:00 PM

I'll take all your finals for you if you finish this tomorrow
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 09:21 PM

the alpha-2 preview screenshot is up:

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/themes.html

... with a list of the changes and a list of to-do's during the next work-shift (prolly start up again tomorrow after my 10:10 final).

lemme know what everyone is thinking w/ the progess. i really hope everyone can live with these scrollbars because i've designed 3 sets now and they're a major pain to make. also, need feedback on the apple menu, i don't really expect it to be too popular among this group so i'd like some mock-up suggestions rather than just flames if you have a good idea you'd like to share.

thanks for all the feedback guys
later

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 09:27 PM

I really like this.. Can't wait to use it. Thinking of beta testing this at all? Need a tester?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 09:27 PM

Look's great! IMO this is the best theme I have ever seen, so keep up the good work!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 10:46 PM

Nice theme carbon. Good job so far!

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 11:56 PM

here is a screenshot from the windows version of watercolor. it has four color schemes and has been perfected over 4 different versions. i think this version is perfect.

click here

click here too

plot twist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 12:11 AM

i dont like how the background windows are darker than the front window.

also, flame flame flame. get rid of that start menu. this isnt windows.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 12:28 AM

Meh, the Olive Green one is the only other good varaition, IMO.

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 02:38 AM

yeah the lighter blue is kinda bright and the grey is too dull. the only two good ones are the one that carbon is doing (ergonomic) and the green. i would definately like to see the green variation.

oh and carbon, IMO the menubar text needs to be white. just consider it i think it would look better.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2002, 02:50 AM

hey carbon, does dragthing actually interact with the minimized windows? or do you just set them on top of it so it looks like they are being docked.

just wondering

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 08:54 AM

I think for the menu you should make a blue outline of the Apple.

Lyric OS 13.0
Dec 10, 2002, 09:03 AM

I am in love with this theme creation already. I am in favor of the menu bar scheme alt-2, and just keep working on it. It will look great when it's ready... I have Max's Luna/Silver--this will be a great addition to the collection that I have so far.

Keep on Rollin' baby--you know what time it is....

Lyric OS 13.0
Dec 10, 2002, 09:07 AM

Hey Dace, This would be an excellent time for the modifications that you suggested for Max's themes. Carbon could add the apple menu design you had in mind--since this is a Win-Port, which would look great with the Apple Symbol/Menu at the top. Maaaaan, that would be killer.

york28
Senior User
Dec 10, 2002, 02:27 PM

Cool except the 'start' apple menu. I like a symbol up there, and I think an apple would be best. That or be clever and put an orange or a canalope or something.....
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2002, 03:58 PM

looks amazing!

one comment..... bring the pinstripes back! they gave the toolbars a much needed touch of texture. there are allready too many flat grey based themes for OSX, any texture really helps out.

looking forward to using this theme.

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 04:09 PM

Yes, please bring back the pinstripes. This will be the theme that replaces BBX on my desktop, unless the Seer theme is completed first...
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

ARENA
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 08:16 PM

I've always loved this UI so i'm really excited about being able to use it now.

I have a few suggestions for the port:

- I think the scrollbars should look more like the originals...the thumb is ok, but the arrows should look "flatter".

- Is it possible to make the text in the menubar white instead of black?

- As most have already said, the "start" graphic must go in favor of a plain Apple.

- The inactive window title bar shouldn't be darker than the active.

- I think the small window title bar gradient and it's close widget looks out of place in the theme.

- I think all the dotted elements (scrollbar arrows, checkboxes, and other widgets) from ChosenOS should be replaced.

Please take those suggestions as constructive criticism. I'm really looking fwd to have this theme, keep up the good work!

...And please do consider making the color variations, gray and olive green looks great.

PS.: Ditching the stripes was a good choice.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2002, 08:36 PM

I just wanted to clear up something based on some of the feedback I've been getting -- this theme is being developed ontop of the original ChosenOS.rsrc file. My intent is to replace ALL of the ChosenOS elements that show up in the system... there are still a lot of ChosenOS elements (as shown in my screenshots) because 1) I'm new to this... 2) i'm slow at this... 3) i'm really sick of themeing right about now and doubt I do another theme after this one, heh.

Anyway, other than the fact that I'm tired and really frustrated w/ the Tabs right now I appreciate all of the feedback I've received and will try to take most of it into consideration when designing it.

Here's how I stand right now w/ some of the feedback:
- apple menu; will be changed, i still don't have any really appealing ideas yet though so it may be a while
- scrollbars; not sure how i stand on this right, changing the arrows would be a lot of reworking
- the pinstripes; sorry but i don't plan on putting them back in, Watercolor uses a pale white as the background colors
- background titlebars; in my opinion they should stay dark just as the real Watercolor theme
- white Menubar text; i can go either way on this, maybe you guys should vote... then i'd need someone to tell me how to go about changing it
- white Titlebar text; i doubt i do that because of the carbon/cocoa applications not respecting the white text setting -- the inconsistency would be annoying.

There is still a long ways for this theme to go before it's ready.

later

Lyric OS 13.0
Dec 10, 2002, 08:54 PM

Man, keep it simple, keep it sweet and it will work out ok.

Lyric.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by york28:
Cool except the 'start' apple menu. I like a symbol up there, and I think an apple would be best. That or be clever and put an orange or a canalope or something.....
Yeah, I like the alpha 1 Apple menu better (just a few dots).

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

Yeah, I like the alpha 1 Apple menu better (just a few dots).
I agree. I like the Alpha 1 Apple menu better as well. Need something different, than an Apple, IMO.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2002, 01:02 AM

just an update:

i *finally* figured out the friggin tabs, you can't even imagine how frustrating those are if it's your first time...

i've got the next candidate for the apple logo done, (it's an apple), i hope people like it... we'll see

still have a glitch w/ the toolbar button when it's in the background *only* in cocoa apps... can't nail this one down yet

the x-+ widgets have been designed and placed into the graphite setting -- however when it comes time to release i may just release two separeate themes (the classic windows widgets and the mac widgets... don't know yet)

the tabs are cool

got around to putting in the pale menu backgrounds (got rid of ChosenOS gray-scale gradient-fade)

lots of little interface parts, and nailed down some of the bugs -- probably gonna have to post some screens later on and hope i can get some help from someone in the know on how to fix some of the issues that refuse to go away no matter what i change

later

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Trekkie:
Yes, please bring back the pinstripes. This will be the theme that replaces BBX on my desktop, unless the Seer theme is completed first...
Is that a challenge I hear? Or merely an initiative?

Either way the heat is on

Forum Links
Forum Rules