Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quark 6.1

Quark 6.1
siliconwarrior
Feb 11, 2004, 04:57 PM

Hmmm, let's hope it fixes more bugs than it introduces (unlike the average XPress update).

Not that I use Quack XPress by choice anymore anyway, but, when I have to, it would be nice if it worked - ie. opened Quack 4 or 5 files without screwing them up/warned me about missing fonts/created and imported PDFs with any degree of reliability/ran for twenty minutes without crashing/recognised fonts after activation without needing to be relaunched/didn't get caught in 'Please enter a value between x and y' loops/provided some degree of performance when using full res preview/stepped and repeated when I pressed the shortcut key (goddammit, why provide it if it won't work?)/picked up spot colours properly from placed EPS files...

I'm going to stop now 'cause typing this list is making me angry (and tired).

I think the overall crappiness of Quack XPress 6 will sell more copies of InDesign than all of Adobe's marketing efforts put together - discuss. Surely people won't keep putting up with this pitiful excuse for a professional package, or am I being na�ve?

Phew, I need cheering up. I know - I'll get Quack to make me one of it's '"drop shadows", that's always good for a laugh!

Now to go post somewhere about British Telecom...
Silicon-Age Warrior

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by siliconwarrior:
Hmmm, let's hope it fixes more bugs than it introduces (unlike the average XPress update).

Not that I use Quack XPress by choice anymore anyway, but, when I have to, it would be nice if it worked - ie. opened Quack 4 or 5 files without screwing them up/warned me about missing fonts/created and imported PDFs with any degree of reliability/ran for twenty minutes without crashing/recognised fonts after activation without needing to be relaunched/didn't get caught in 'Please enter a value between x and y' loops/provided some degree of performance when using full res preview/stepped and repeated when I pressed the shortcut key (goddammit, why provide it if it won't work?)/picked up spot colours properly from placed EPS files...

I'm going to stop now 'cause typing this list is making me angry (and tired).

I think the overall crappiness of Quack XPress 6 will sell more copies of InDesign than all of Adobe's marketing efforts put together - discuss. Surely people won't keep putting up with this pitiful excuse for a professional package, or am I being na�ve?

Phew, I need cheering up. I know - I'll get Quack to make me one of it's '"drop shadows", that's always good for a laugh!

Now to go post somewhere about British Telecom...
I can honestly say I hate quark.
It is horrible compared to InDesign.

You can buy Adobe CS w/ Indesign
for less than Quark 6.0.

- Photoshop CS
- Illustrator CS
- InDesign CS
- GoLive
- Acrobat Pro
and then some.

siliconwarrior  (op)
Feb 12, 2004, 07:17 PM

Indeed.

If only everyone would get wise to this I wouldn't have to use the damn thing at all!
Silicon-Age Warrior

Forum Links
Forum Rules