Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > freakin' quark 6

freakin' quark 6
art_director
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 10:07 AM

can anyone help me here. quark 6 (not my favorite application) is giving me a headache.

i have a document created in qxd4. i'm working on it in qxd6. when i save the file it opens another file that i worked on last week for no reason. this happens every time i save and i must close that document to get back to the one i'm actually working on.

pain in the azz.

i have one copy of qxd open. (qxd6)
i've saved it as a project and as a document. both give the same result.

if my client had not demanded i buy this software i'd walk away right now. this suxx.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 10:12 AM

another thing, this preview res selection stuff is bullshiit. why can't it just be full res all the time. maybe i'm missing something.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2004, 03:39 PM

oooffahhh - I have been in the industry a couple of hours [like years of hours]
Quark suxx always has... bad layout features, bad postscript and a completely illegal price

qxd6 suxx completely. I really liked QXD4 avoided 5 that is until 6 came out now guess what tree I am stuck in.

I have nothing constructive to help you BUT I have noticed this:

If a file is built in QXD4 and if you want stable activity within the doc use QXD4 or 5
If a file is built in QXD5 and if you want stable activity within the doc use QXD5
Only use QXD6 for QXD6 files...

feels like the list from Fight Club

I keep all three versions running on my production machine... seems like a waste... you need the suitcase bridge to make the classic apps see the font updates.

As for that random document opening thing - - - that is a true anomoly. I would start by trying not to update the legacy docs - rebuild or leave it in the old app if that is an option for you.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 04:15 PM

thx, eyevaan.

yeah, i've noticed that bringing docs up from older versions is the kiss of death.

how foolish of us to have expected qx would provide us with a flawless update. only this one is worse than qx5 was.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 07:42 AM

yep quark is a nightmare. i switched to indesign about a year ago, and it runs flawlessly on my mac.

lobstr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 06:49 PM

a guy here gets the same thing when he does command-p. It opena an old file for no reason.

I'm looking at indesign

siliconwarrior
May 18, 2004, 02:36 PM

I have seen the magical document opening phenomenon on two out of three machines at my office, one running Jaguar, the other Panther. The third machine is mine and although QX6 is installed on it, I don't (read: 'won't) use it so haven't encountered this problem.

This is just another one of the bugs in Quack 6 that are so bad/bizarre that all you can do is laugh at them and be glad you're using a real piece of software (read 'InDesign CS'). Has anyone seen my personal favourite - text cycling through all the colours of the 'bow whilst zooming in/out? Trippy.

Ditch Quark.

And don't give me any 'my printers won't take InDesign' crap - give them PDFs, or ditch THEM too!
Silicon-Age Warrior

Forum Links
Forum Rules