Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > my work (what do you think?)

my work (what do you think?)
urbatronik
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 05:05 AM

Hello

what you think about this stuff?

http://www.geocities.com/psytrancertrip

thanks in advance

(and PLEASE..dont look at the "design" of that free space, thanks)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 06:22 AM

Hola,

I like most of the colors in use but the wavy lines distracted me. Made my eye float off the pages much quicker, especially without any single dominant image to keep me on the page.
Fonts were nice but the type looked a bit small, but so did the small photos.
I really didn't like the mobile phone advert. The green pattern really distracted as it's not a pleasing shade of green and the shape reminded me of a map for a stadium or convention hall.

Sorry to be critical. I think they were solid designs. I'd just reduce the wavy lines and introduce a dominant element and they would be much better.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

urbatronik  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2004, 01:19 PM

thanks

I put this here because i need critical people and neutral people..

thanx a lot, im gonna take care of that details

(need more critics)

bye

siliconwarrior
Jul 15, 2004, 09:53 AM

I wouldn't value too highly the opinion of someone who cannot differentiate between an advert and packaging.

Keep up the good work.
Silicon-Age Warrior

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by siliconwarrior:
I wouldn't value too highly the opinion of someone who cannot differentiate between an advert and packaging.

Keep up the good work.
So, I put the wrong word. Feel free to ignore me. All I can say is I'm a graphic/layout designer with about 15 years of professional experience and a goodly number of design awards.

But, you are right. My critique pales in comparison with yours. Yours is so insightful and such an economy of words in mentioning eye flow, color palettes and dominant/non-dominant visuals and fontography.
Oh, to learn from such a valued master who has so much to contribute rather than make silly comments about a small point without really having any basis for such small comments.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 12:47 PM

is this your book? if so it's on the thin side.

� packaging -- looks nice but it would be better if you were to comp it up and shoot it. don't show flats. show it the way it will be seen on the shelves. often people will comp up and shoot their packaging actually on a shelf. can also show in a non-descript background / environment. computer generatedmodels work but they lack the soul of a shot comp.

� folleto -- a brochure??? nice, clean, elegant...i love the palette and design. you're a natural with this particular medium. that much is clear.

� fresh it wordmark -- it's weak when put next to some of your other work. not saying it's bad but your brochure is in a different league than this logo.

� magazine ads -- these lack a focus. when art directors try to design logos and packaging they don't usually do well. when designers try to layout ads they don't do well. they're different media / audiences. i suggest checking out ca advertising annual, the one show, archive, etc. they'll give you some inspiration for ad design / layout. these feel a little direct response and are not on par with your other pieces.

� minimal contradictions -- student project? feels like and exercise. what's it supposed to be? sorry if i missed something.

� your personal logo is mighty cool.

� theme -- you appear to like the color blue and wavy lines. i suggest switching it up. the stuff begins to look similar / the same. explore other graphic languages / elements. i'm not saying what you're doing is bad, rather it doesn't differentiate your clients brands from one another.

andi*pandi
Jul 15, 2004, 05:10 PM

linky no worky.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
linky no worky.

the stuff be gone...

urbatronik  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 06:48 PM

thanx all for the replies..

i guess it was good to show some of my work here, all of you were so honest telling what was good and what wasn't (that is what i needed).

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 05:38 PM

The Telefonica stuff is top notch.
Do you have a picture, even a rough one, of how it looked once printed?

Forum Links
Forum Rules