Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > *shoves foot in mouth*

*shoves foot in mouth*
godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 01:40 AM

So indesign cs aint so bad.

kaboom
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2004, 08:31 AM

And instead of your foot, shouldn't you be eating crow?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2004, 10:06 AM

Wow, this a day in history to mark on your calendars! I'm still using ID 2.0, as I have yet to spring for the whole CD shebang (I need them all, so I gotta go with the big upgrade). I've been outputting film from 2.0 for a while, now, and am pretty happy with the way it's going.

Now, if someone would just develop a DCS 2.1 format with a halfways decent screen preview, I'd be in hog heaven, but that's another topic.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 12:44 PM

I still hate all these pallets everywhere, but the slide out from the side feature is neat. Definitely faster which is a plus. I still hate how it handles master pages, and I hate that you can't rotate content within image boxes (you have to rotate the entire box) but its definitely better.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
So indesign cs aint so bad.

Does my computer screen lie?

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 11:00 AM

definitely a day that will live in infamy.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
definitely a day that will live in infamy.
Fire up the marching band, we got us a convert,,,

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 02:58 AM

I'm really liking it. Almost as much as I loved jumping into quark 4 today for the first time in ages. could be just because I haven't done any print work in months.

siliconwarrior
Jul 29, 2004, 06:03 AM

You can rotate images in their boxes, select with the Direct Select tool (the white arrow), you should see it highlighted in a yummy shade of brown and then you can manipulate it in whatever way you feel necessary independently of the containing box.

As for pallettes, you shouldn't have too many crowding your screen in CS, they can be collapsed at the edges of the screen to about 10 pixels wide, plus there is always the contextual pallette (like in PS) just under the menu bar.

Any more questions about CS just ask or PM me, I'm happy to help recent Quark converts in this matter and I know my way around ID (and Adobe apps in general) pretty damn well, even if I do say so myself.
( Last edited by siliconwarrior; Jul 29, 2004 at 06:11 AM. )
Silicon-Age Warrior

siliconwarrior
Jul 29, 2004, 06:24 AM

To chris v: what do you want to achive with your ideal DCS format?

If it's spot colour channels with full res preview that exists already - add your spot colour channels to your regular CMYK/Grayscale file in Photoshop and save as either PSD or TIFF (with 'Spot Colours' checked), when you import into ID CS you can take advantage of the usual preview resolution for TIFF files when in 'Typical' display and full res/seperation previews when in 'High Quality' display.

This thread makes me very happy, everybody sing to Quark:

Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, whoa oh, goodbye!
(repeat as necessary)

Silicon-Age Warrior

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by siliconwarrior:
To chris v: what do you want to achive with your ideal DCS format?

If it's spot colour channels with full res preview that exists already - add your spot colour channels to your regular CMYK/Grayscale file in Photoshop and save as either PSD or TIFF (with 'Spot Colours' checked), when you import into ID CS you can take advantage of the usual preview resolution for TIFF files when in 'Typical' display and full res/seperation previews when in 'High Quality' display.

This thread makes me very happy, everybody sing to Quark:

Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, whoa oh, goodbye!
(repeat as necessary)

In t-shirt printing, the CMYK gamut is really limited. The only way to get saturation is to add bump plates. The usual "4-color" print is actually 6 or 7, if the customer really wants it right.

I need to be able to print the spot/bump plates to their own sep, and so far as I know, DCS 2.0 is the only way to do that from a single file. It's really hard to precisely lay out a DCS file with text or other images on a page. Usually what I do in that situation, is do the layout with a tiff, then go back to PS and save as... making a DCS file from the same tiff, then just replace the linked file, so that it goes exactly where the tiff was. Can't see for s**t, but it usually prints okay.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

siliconwarrior
Jul 29, 2004, 08:41 AM

In which case the method I outlined is exactly what you need. If you need to add spot colours to CMYK artwork it's no problem; if you don't need the CMYK then add your extra channels to a greyscale image instead.

This link will let you download an example file, place it into ID and you'll be able to separate black, Spot Red and Bump Map plates from it as well as preview in high resolution.

Try it, I think you'll find it works exactly as you need it to, and that DCS is as dead as Quark.

( Last edited by siliconwarrior; Jul 29, 2004 at 08:50 AM. )
Silicon-Age Warrior

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 10:06 AM

In which case the method I outlined is exactly what you need. If you need to add spot colours to CMYK artwork it's no problem; if you don't need the CMYK then add your extra channels to a greyscale image instead.

This link will let you download an example file, place it into ID and you'll be able to separate black, Spot Red and Bump Map plates from it as well as preview in high resolution.

Try it, I think you'll find it works exactly as you need it to, and that DCS is as dead as Quark.

InDesign 2.0 tells me "The file conatains at least one spot color channel, and therefore cannot be read." (As usual, making a tiff with a spot channel (with the "spot channels" checkbox checked) in it gives me the usual result, which is that InDesign places it fine, but doesn't give me the option to print the spot color on its own plate in the output dialog.)

Is this functionality you speak of new to InDesign CS? If so, I'm driving my ass to the Apple store here, in a couple of hours.

CV

siliconwarrior
Jul 29, 2004, 10:45 AM

I apologise, you're right, this must have been introduced with CS - i did test it in CS and it works fine but I forgot that you were in ID2.

See here for the result of separating the example file from CS, I think you'll be pleased.

Well, I guess you know what you need to do...
( Last edited by siliconwarrior; Jul 29, 2004 at 10:56 AM. )
Silicon-Age Warrior

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2004, 10:57 AM

I apologise, you're right, this must have been introduced with CS - i did test it in CS and it works fine but I forgot that you were in ID2.

See here for the result of separating the example file from CS, I think you'll be pleased.

Well, I guess you know what you need to do...

Any excuse to visit the Apple store is good enough for me.

Thanks for the heads-up! you've made my day.

CV

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 07:42 AM

Silicon: yeah I figured out the direct select business. Thats really annyoing. I also wish you could do it numerically.

re: pallets
yes the sliding pallets are cool, but there are still 5000000 of them and waiting for them to slide in and out anyoys me, I wish adobe was more minimal with their pallets.

andi*pandi
Aug 5, 2004, 04:09 PM

the conversion cranks on here too, I just spent half a day in ID training. Was cool.

Turns out many of our complaints are solved by CS.

siMac
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 01:36 PM

"I figured out the direct select business. Thats really annyoing. I also wish you could do it numerically."

What's annoying? I'm not sure I understand.

You can rotate/scale numerically - see either transform pallette or contextual pallette.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 05:52 PM

TOO many pallets doggie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules