Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 8.6 and error message 11 problem

OS 8.6 and error message 11 problem
DNA man
Senior User
Aug 29, 2002, 12:12 PM

I had offered to fix three Macs at a local school. I have sucessfully fixed 2 out of 3 but the 3 Mac (running OS8.6) will not boot up and comes up with a restart window, extension conflict system error 11.

I tried to reboot with the shift key depressed and the window show that the extensions are off but the same problem happens, with the same error message....even though the extensions are off

Firstly, what is error 11 (and can I find a list of the different errors somewhere on the web) and does any one have suggestions to the problem?

I want to try and keep the schools with as much Macs as possible.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2002, 08:50 PM

Type 11 error is just a general exception. Something wrong happened some place, and it just reported Type 11. When Apple moved from 68k to PPC, as a temporary measure most errors were simply called Type 11. As the OS matured on PPC, most of the error codes were fixed. The problem is that even though the error codes were corrected, it didn't make any of them (especially Type 11) easier to fix. There's something wrong with the system software you're running, or there's an issue with your hardware (less likely). Are you booting from a CD? If it's still trying to access the drive when you're booting from the CD, hold down the C key, or, alternatively, hold Delete+Option+Command+Shift to bypass the internal drive completely. See what you can do with that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cipher13
Aug 30, 2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by DNA man:
I had offered to fix three Macs at a local school. I have sucessfully fixed 2 out of 3 but the 3 Mac (running OS8.6) will not boot up and comes up with a restart window, extension conflict system error 11.

I tried to reboot with the shift key depressed and the window show that the extensions are off but the same problem happens, with the same error message....even though the extensions are off

Firstly, what is error 11 (and can I find a list of the different errors somewhere on the web) and does any one have suggestions to the problem?

I want to try and keep the schools with as much Macs as possible.
Boot of an 8.6 System CD, and delete the Finder, Finder Preferences, System, System Preferences. Copy said files from the system CD to the System Folder. All should be good. Reset the PRAM for good measure, and reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules