Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Partition corrupted?

Partition corrupted?
Pikachu_G4e�
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 11:32 AM

Hi there ...

Just an hour ago ... my Mac suffered from a crashed on sleep command on OS 9.2.1 ...

The screen went grey ... the keyboard wasn't working ... so i reseted my QuickSilver G4 ...

After it restarted ... it won't boot from my default system (on specific partition) ...

i tried copy the whole System folder from the partition that won't boot to another partition ...

it booted ... and just like the old one ... so not corrupted system problem ...

Now, what i want to know is ... what's wrong with my default startup partition?

Should i erase the partition? i tried checking with Norton Disk Doctor, rebuilt directories with DiskWarrior ...

Nothing seems to work out ... if i really have to erase it, how can i do it?

P/S : Both partitions are on the same drive ...

Thanks in advance!

Best regards from,
pmg4lktan
Come join me at macgo.net for more Mac-related discussions! ;)

Cipher13
Sep 1, 2002, 02:02 AM

Probably just a corrupted boot sector - something as simple as reselecting it from the Startup Disk control panel could fix it, or a PRAM zap could; most likely, however, part of the disk is corrupted.

1. Throw Norton in the Trash - no computer should be subjected to such a horrible piece of software.

2. Run DiskWarrior over the drive, and all will be well.

Let us know how it goes...

Pikachu_G4e�  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2002, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Probably just a corrupted boot sector - something as simple as reselecting it from the Startup Disk control panel could fix it, or a PRAM zap could; most likely, however, part of the disk is corrupted.

1. Throw Norton in the Trash - no computer should be subjected to such a horrible piece of software.

2. Run DiskWarrior over the drive, and all will be well.

Let us know how it goes...
Thanks ..

1. i don't think there is any problem with Norton ...

2. ran diskwarrior ... problem still exist ...

i have a system folder on each partition (i made 4 partitions), so i unbless the other three sys tem folders ...

it works ... very weird problem indeed ...

however, when i bless them back ... while the default partition was selected in "Startup disk" ... it booted from another partition again ...

just as i thought this problem is serious ...

actually it do can startup from the default system ... just that i have to unbless all the other systems on other partitions ...

but even i selected the default startup partition as the startup system ... it still show the disk flashing exclamation mark before it show the happy mac ...

now ... more serious problem ...

i just noticed that two of my partitions were missing ... both partitions are on another drive (other than those 4 partitions mentioned earlier) ...

Drive Setup won't even show them there ... i never open my QuickSilver case before they lost ...

What happened???

* i also take out Finder and bless the system folder again *

then (without restart, just shut down) , i took out both drive and leave the old drive ... it can startup successfully ...

i think there is no problem ... anyway, i seldom use it ...

so, i put back only the new drive ... the default partition now startup without flashing question mark disk again ...

now the problem is solved ...

i only want to know what is causing this? (haven't tried sleep command again yet)

Thanks in advance!

Best regards from,
pmg4lktan
Come join me at macgo.net for more Mac-related discussions! ;)

Forum Links
Forum Rules