Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I think I've been hosed, help please.

I think I've been hosed, help please.
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2002, 08:49 PM

Hello again,

I bought a 10cd set of OS 9 and OSX install disks from someone online (not a store). When I received it, it turns out it's a bunch of CDs from an iBook. I tried to install OS9 on my Rev. C iMac (currently running 8.6) and it would not install, saying I needed to update my firmware. Am I screwed? If so, it's my own fault and I'll take it and learn from it, if there is some way to work around this, I'd appreciate it. As far as I know, I have the most current firmware for my iMac.

Tom

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Madison:
Hello again,

I bought a 10cd set of OS 9 and OSX install disks from someone online (not a store). When I received it, it turns out it's a bunch of CDs from an iBook. I tried to install OS9 on my Rev. C iMac (currently running 8.6) and it would not install, saying I needed to update my firmware. Am I screwed? If so, it's my own fault and I'll take it and learn from it, if there is some way to work around this, I'd appreciate it. As far as I know, I have the most current firmware for my iMac.

Tom
Uprade your firmware and it should be ok.

From Apple:

Possible solution:

You must install the firmware update before installing Mac OS 9.

1. Start up the computer from its hard disk (not from the Mac OS 9 Install CD).
2. Follow the instructions for updating your firmware in the CD Extras folder on your Mac OS CD.
3. After the computer's firmware has been updated, start up the computer from the Mac OS 9 Install CD and proceed with the installation.

(Apple support pages are your friend!)

AppleCare, installing OS 9
i look in your general direction

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2002, 10:34 PM

Thanks! I'll try it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules