Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple IIc Keyboard

Apple IIc Keyboard
benschilke
Aug 18, 2002, 03:16 PM

A few weeks ago I found an Apple IIc, and the only thing keeping me from the nostagic joy of using it is the very stiff keyboard. Many keys require that I jam my finger down on them from 3 inches above the keyboard before they go down. Anyone know of a way to clean or refurb this keyboard?

alphamatrix
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by benschilke:
A few weeks ago I found an Apple IIc, and the only thing keeping me from the nostagic joy of using it is the very stiff keyboard. Many keys require that I jam my finger down on them from 3 inches above the keyboard before they go down. Anyone know of a way to clean or refurb this keyboard?
Well i just checked out the keyboard on my IIc and have found that the key caps can be easily pryed off with small flathead screw driver, take one off and see if theres any gunk you can remove from the mechanism. Or you can look on ebay for a new one, if i remember correctly form when i took mine apart (its not very fun) the keyboard can be replaced.

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2002, 12:01 PM

I came across similar problems on an old Compaq (its actually the first compaq pc) The keyboard on the machine is proprietary, its actually part of the machine (and so is its connector port) Faced with this, i went about dismantling the keyboard to try alleviate the problem. The keyboard on this machine used a spring-hammer system to communicate with the computer. The way the keys work is that the key caps fit into a small cylindrical part, between which the spring is suspended. Underneath the cylinder, there is a semi-conductive layered material. It is around 1/4 inch or so in diameter,made of aluminum with some sort of foam layered in between. The cylindrical part, which acts as a hammer hits these aluminum sandwiches, and causes the top and bottom of them to make contact, thus completing the circuit, and allowing the key to be pressed. The problem with the keyboard was that many of these aluminum sandwiches had fallen out from under their keys, or degraded and fallen apart. I have yet to replace these parts, as i do not know where to acquire them. Anyway, thats basically how old keyboards work. I'm not sure if the IIC uses this type. (the spring keyboards have long been replaced by rubber, and a drastically different (and improved) circuitry system)
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by benschilke:
Is there any way to hook up an external keyboard to your Apple IIc?

Forum Links
Forum Rules