Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Printer plus modem together -- Appletalk conflict

Printer plus modem together -- Appletalk conflict
tie
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 01:34 PM

My friend has a very old PowerMac 9500 (upgraded) running OS 8.6 (possibly 9.1?). Right now he is using an external modem. He also has an old LaserPrinter 300. There are two serial ports, so he should be able to use both simultaneously (i.e., print a web page) -- but he can't! To use the printer he needs to unplug the modem from its port, and vice versa.

I've tried to fix this in the Chooser. Appletalk is using the second port (which never has anything plugged into it). However I can't turn off Appletalk to free up the port because it says the printer needs Appletalk active to work. Neither the printer nor the modem work when plugged into the Appletalk port.

I am quite confused and don't know what to do, short of buying a new computer (and a new printer). It seems illogical that the Appletalk port can't be used for anything.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 04:04 AM

The LaserWriter 300 is serial-based, not AppleTalk. If you get a message saying AppleTalk needs to be enabled to use it, then you're using the wrong driver in the Chooser.

Make sure you're using the LaserWriter Select driver (or the Personal LaserWriter driver if the printer is a Personal LaserWriter 300). if you're using 'LaserWriter', that's the wrong one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules