Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Incredible shrinking HD on 7600

Incredible shrinking HD on 7600
Shanachie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2002, 02:48 PM

Recently my 7600 has been acting up--Eudora 5 won�t work at all, Netscape won�t save my cache settings, icons turn generic, etc. I tried rebuilding the desktop, which not only didn�t fix the problem but seemed to gobble up an astonishing amount of hard disk space.

At the same time, my hard drive [1.2G] has been getting filled up quickly, so much so that I�ve been deleting files and apps right and left to keep from going down to 0 HD space left. Seems to be a losing game; I delete a 4 MB MP3 file and the system shows only a 400K gain in space available. When I tried to index the HD with Sherlock, it stopped after a minute, saying there was no space left, and that the index was 156K [though the indexing process seemed to lop another 20MB or so off my available total].

Is it a system corruption problem, or does it mean my HD is going kaput? I recently had problems with a malfunctioning Zip drive and disks [�click of death�] -- any possible connection?

Thanks for any help!

Dave B

Forum Links
Forum Rules