Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Super Stickies?

Super Stickies?
kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2002, 01:59 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if Stickies had three options?
1) Notes float above everything else
2) Notes can be brought to the front, just like windows in a standard app
3) Notes can be attached a window of any other app

This last option is the one I would most like to see. Wouldn't it be cool if you could attach a sticky to a doc and have it open wherever you put it on the window when you next opened that document? You could stick as many notes as you wanted on a document. It could work with any window. I think this would be much more useful as most of the time my sticky thoughts are geared toward a particular window or document and if I just make a sticky it clutters up my screen. If they could be associated with any document/window then things would be much more organized. This would work great as a Service as well.

Word-->Services-->Attach Sticky...

Any thoughts? Is it possible? Would it require links into the windowing system? Could someone make a shareware app to do it?

kman

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2002, 03:01 PM

Well, your first wish is an option in 10.2 now.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2002, 03:57 PM

Yeah. I included the current sticky behavior in my list. It's really only option 3 that is novel.

kman

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 11:00 AM

I thought 3. was a good idea too, so I implemented a similar function in my app Sticky Notes.

You can attach a note to any running application, and the note will hide unless that application is in the foreground. I would like to be able to attach notes on a by document basis rather than a by application, but I can't see a way to do this in Cocoa

Try it out & let me know how you get on

-mrwalker

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 11:21 AM

MrWalker:
I'm liking the sound of your Sticky Notes (so am downloading now @26k ).
Meanwhile, FYI, correcting typos on your web page might impress viewers:
"Support
The answers to many fequently asked questions (FAQ) can be found here
You can obtain support for Sticky Notes filling in the feeback form here or by emailing us at the address below
[email protected]"

:fequently: -> frequently
:feeback: -> feedback

?maybe whole page should be spell-checked to soothe us anal-retentive types?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 12:05 PM

mmmmmm.

Stickies attached to windows.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Stickies attached to windows.
You can't attach stickies to windows because windows are not a persistent thing (which stickies arguably should be).

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
You can't attach stickies to windows because windows are not a persistent thing (which stickies arguably should be).

?? think of a sticky as a note about an object, just stick it to an object.
The sticky would be as much a part of a window as the close widget.

Close the window, the sticky disappears with it, but when you open the window again, its back, like a yellow clam stuck to the menu bar.

Lovely.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 01:30 PM

Close the window, the sticky disappears with it, but when you open the window again, its back, like a yellow clam stuck to the menu bar.
And how does the system know that a new window an application creates is exactly this one that previously had this sticky attached? It can't.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:04 PM

And how does the system know that a new window an application creates is exactly this one that previously had this sticky attached? It can't.
I can't see how either, which is why Apple would have to put the functionality into the windowing system. However, it could be done on a per document basis, right? Is this how you did it MrWalker?

BTW, I was most surprised to see this thread pop up after two years. Cool!

kman

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
I can't see how either, which is why Apple would have to put the functionality into the windowing system. However, it could be done on a per document basis, right?
It could be done on a per file basis like file (Finder) comments are maintained per file. However the screenshot shows a sticky attached to a Finder window and these don't relate to any file or folder on Mac OS X.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 12:11 AM

It could be done on a per file basis like file (Finder) comments are maintained per file. However the screenshot shows a sticky attached to a Finder window and these don't relate to any file or folder on Mac OS X.
Your right, but generally I try not to let logic get in the way of a good idea.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 06:42 AM

Your right, but generally I try not to let logic get in the way of a good idea.
HA HA, Good point!

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 05:19 AM

Well, it could work in the instance of the Finder if...

1. the sticky attached to the Finder window showed up in every instance of an open finder window (which isn't too practical), OR...

2. the sticky is attached to that particular folder or volume, much like a comment, since finder windows can only represent mounted volumes or directories (AFAICT).

But I really like the idea of attaching them to documents... wehnever that particular document is open, those stickies are available. And, what if these stickies could replace the old comments, so that they would, in effect, act like multiple comments? So if you were to get info on a document (or folder or volume), instead of seeing the "Comments" section, it would be something like "Stickies," and expanding that would show a listing of attached stickies that could be further expanded. Open that same document (or folder or volume) and you could see those stickies attached to that window.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules