Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [WIP] Dark Grey something or another ...

[WIP] Dark Grey something or another ...
Pixelwerx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 01:59 AM

... Sorry, don't actually have a name for this. I just wanted to get some feedback on it, I've been working on it in some form or another for almost a year (in what little spare time I seem to have). If there is enough interest from you guys, it will probably inspire me to work on it more. Unfortunately, I don't get to spend much time on it, with work and married life and all.

Anyway, it started out with white/blue glowing elements that looked totally different then where they are now. But then Siro came out, and I liked it so much I just used that for a long time. But I always eventually want a change, and about a month ago started up again, mostly inspired by Modo's and Motion's interfaces. Below is a screenshot. In the shot, the cocoa preview window shows the mouse over state for title bar widgets. Comments, criticisms, etc. welcome. And if everyone hates it, I won't even cry

Preview
-Oliver

esXXI
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Pixelwerx:
... Sorry, don't actually have a name for this. I just wanted to get some feedback on it, I've been working on it in some form or another for almost a year (in what little spare time I seem to have). If there is enough interest from you guys, it will probably inspire me to work on it more. Unfortunately, I don't get to spend much time on it, with work and married life and all.

Anyway, it started out with white/blue glowing elements that looked totally different then where they are now. But then Siro came out, and I liked it so much I just used that for a long time. But I always eventually want a change, and about a month ago started up again, mostly inspired by Modo's and Motion's interfaces. Below is a screenshot. In the shot, the cocoa preview window shows the mouse over state for title bar widgets. Comments, criticisms, etc. welcome. And if everyone hates it, I won't even cry

Preview
I wub, wub, wub, wub, wub it. My only suggestion would be to (if they're not) make the "glowing" widgets for active windows, and perhaps brighten them a touch on roll-over?

Let the poking and 'is it done yet?' commence!

DigiHal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 02:52 AM

This is very nice.

My only comment would be to switch the inactive text color with the active push.

But that is just me.

I hope you get enough time to get this going.

H!

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:53 AM

Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see how this comes out.

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 03:04 AM

Well, I forgot to mention, the window widgets glow on mouseover as seen in the pic, but glow brighter when clicked. And the LED effect on the push buttons glows brighter as the pulse animation. And as for the text color, I'm currently using the default Panther theme, so the font are just showing up the default colors. I actually don't use Shapeshifter, so for me the black text in cocoa windows will have to do for now (I actually think it looks pretty good with black text). But if/when I release it, it will have more appropriate text colors for the .guikit. I might start using Shapeshifter, mainly for the ability to change some of the white backgrounds to other colors, dark themes just don't look good with too much white in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments As I get further I will probably post other little snaps.
-Oliver

idle
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 03:26 AM

I dig the colors. All solid work. Would love to try that one out.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 04:43 AM

I think a great name for this theme would be "Dusk", the idea looks great I would love to see you move it into themepark

silencedge
Nov 19, 2004, 05:05 AM

Yea, great idea for the name... DUSK.

Very cool colouring, and as sexxi mentioned... let the 'poking' begin!

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 06:47 AM

lookin good!
keep it comin!
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 07:43 AM

I am a huge fan of dark themes and this looks awsome!!
There has to be more contrast for the text though - black on dark grey looks good but is too hard to read for everyday use!

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 19, 2004, 09:32 AM

Very cool. My friends band name is "The Dusk" so I vote for that iteration of the name.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2004, 09:34 AM

Interesting but I'd have to wonder how usable it would be in real-world situations.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:02 PM

WOW Just make sure the text is readable by the time it's finished, the black is, but I think it's pushing it just a little.
click one

Mighty_Mike_T
Nov 19, 2004, 02:09 PM

Very nice, although I second (or third) the motion for more readable system text.

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 02:48 PM

Well, as I said in my last post, the text color will change. It will be a lighter grey. One thing that bugs me about Themepark, is that text color changes don't show up when previewing (at least they don't for me).
Hopefully, I'll be able to get something done this weekend.
-Oliver

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 05:42 PM

Well, as I said in my last post, the text color will change. It will be a lighter grey. One thing that bugs me about Themepark, is that text color changes don't show up when previewing (at least they don't for me).
Hopefully, I'll be able to get something done this weekend.
Just export for SS every time you want to preview.
click one

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Yeah but it's a pain. It's a shame you can't preview the text colours.

Meh.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Well, thats something I'll have to do once in awhile, but I like the preview of Themepark, because all the elements (except for Finder buttons I guess) are shown right there. And obviously, before I released a guikit, I would need to test it out pretty well.

When I get to the point of determining text colors, I'll have to do that though. The thing is, I don't own or use Shapeshifter. I have it installed, but the demo period is expired. I'll have to create a new user to reset the demo period.
-Oliver

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 06:10 PM

shouldn't have posted this topic. now every five days someone is going to bring it back from the dead with "IS IT DONE YET???!?!?!"

although i must admit (OMG GUYZ GET READY 2 GO CRAZY) i do like the theme (in the picture anyway, i might not like it after long term use-age). if you ever do need someone to lend a helping hand in themepark or if you need someone to tell you what sucks, feel free to pm me. some people say i do good work criticizing (::cough::davidlanham::cough::), others don't (::cough::mostofthepeoplehere::cough::)

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
shouldn't have posted this topic. now every five days someone is going to bring it back from the dead with "IS IT DONE YET???!?!?!"

although i must admit (OMG GUYZ GET READY 2 GO CRAZY) i do like the theme (in the picture anyway, i might not like it after long term use-age). if you ever do need someone to lend a helping hand in themepark or if you need someone to tell you what sucks, feel free to pm me. some people say i do good work criticizing (::cough::davidlanham::cough:, others don't (::cough::mostofthepeoplehere::cough:
Yeah, you're probably right, but I really like how it's looking, and I guess I couldn't resist the urge to see what other people think about it As for your other comments, I know my way around themepark pretty well actually. I use it all the time. I just haven't made a whole theme from scratch yet, but I have HEAVILY modified a few (Siro and Smooth Stripes mainly). But if I do have any questions, you can bet I'll post them here. And I'll probably release a test version or something.

Change of topic:
One thing I'm doing with this, is I wanted the push buttons to look like they were flush with their surrounding background (i.e. regular background, in a well, in a well nested in another well, etc.). So I made the color of the button itself mostly transparent, so its clickable, but looks the same color where ever it is. We'll have to see if this is useable in everyday use though.

I mostly want it to be simple and clean, with certain elements that make sense as LED's. I hope it turns out to be useable, and not just eye candy.
-Oliver

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 07:22 PM

Oh, by the way, I like 'Dusk' as a possible name. I also thought about 'Nexus 6'. Probably too early to worry about names anyway, I suppose.
-Oliver

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 07:27 PM

Dusk Shroud

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2004, 01:06 AM

I don't think my eyes could stand that... kinda reminds me of that one theme "ONYX" that came as default with Kaleidoscope...

Hey... someone should make a theme based on Onyx from Kaleidoscope. Good idea.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Nov 20, 2004, 07:40 AM

That's a really nice theme. I like the way in which the buttons are flush with the backgrounds, god work.

Any chance of rekeasing maybe even an incomplete version? Would love to try it out.
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2004, 07:22 PM

OMG Pixelwerx you've got a dark theme with cool glowing elements!!

very nice!

i only thing i would suggest would be to have even more glowing elements. but that's just me, and probably not a very good idea... but maybe the little ">" in the drop-down menus could have a slight glow as well? sorry, i would just love to see as much glow as possible.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2004, 01:08 AM

Reminds me of that cool VLC replacement icon set...
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2004, 10:34 PM

Preview
Holy ****. That Apple menu rocks. Please don't listen to anyone that tells you to make it a boring Apple logo. Get rid of all the aqua elements, theme the async animation, and make the text light (readable). Also, I am very enthused about this theme. GOGOGOGO.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2004, 10:37 PM

Oh, by the way, I like 'Dusk' as a possible name. I also thought about 'Nexus 6'. Probably too early to worry about names anyway, I suppose.
I prefer Nexus 6. It is more creative. More technological, like this theme's style is. Dusk does not suit this theme's LED style.

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 01:39 AM

that is an extremely cool mockup. please let us know how work on it is progressing!

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 10:18 AM

Shameless bump (well, everyone is dying for an update on themes ).

Anymore news on this cracker of a thene? I'd love to get my hands on it as soon as. Are you letting anyone beta test it?
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 09:33 PM

i feel so dirty. i'm bumping up a topic.

so how is this coming along?

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 09:56 PM

Sorry everyone for the long delay. Yes, I am still working on this. I've just been busy with the Holidays, married life, and just last week I got laid off from work. Anyway, I've done some more work on it (previews below), but note the text is still showing the default colors in the pics. I'll show pics with the correct text colors later. Also, note the butted bevel buttons are quite a bit lighter than everything else, this is for Photoshop users. Feedback welcome.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
-Oliver

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2004, 10:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pixelwerx:
[B]Sorry everyone for the long delay. Yes, I am still working on this. I've just been busy with the Holidays, married life, and just last week I got laid off from work. Anyway, I've done some more work on it (previews below), but note the text is still showing the default colors in the pics. I'll show pics with the correct text colors later. Also, note the butted bevel buttons are quite a bit lighter than everything else, this is for Photoshop users. Feedback welcome.

Please don't forget the async animation. Something with some of that glowy-orange bit...

I'm sure you plan on making the text a light color, blah blah. Keep the Apple menu as you originally showed us. It's hot.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 10:31 PM

Sorry everyone for the long delay. Yes, I am still working on this. I've just been busy with the Holidays, married life, and just last week I got laid off from work. Anyway, I've done some more work on it (previews below), but note the text is still showing the default colors in the pics. I'll show pics with the correct text colors later. Also, note the butted bevel buttons are quite a bit lighter than everything else, this is for Photoshop users. Feedback welcome.

I'm loving it.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 11:56 PM

looks awesome.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2004, 12:22 AM

F----ing sweet!

please finish this up soon. can't wait to start using it!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 01:17 AM

This is looking amazing. i love it. My only suggestion is to maybe make the scroll-bar track thing-a-ma-jig darker. not the scroll-bar itself, but the track it moves in. I can't wait for this theme.

On a side note: sorry you got laid off. Bummer.

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
Please don't forget the async animation. Something with some of that glowy-orange bit...[/B]
You and your async animation
How's this?

I can't decide if I like it or not, but thats all I've come up with so far. I've done the large and the small.
At this point, I think I'm half way done. Don't know how many app skins I'll do (if any), I want to release this sometime this century. Maybe someone will volunteer for that
Anyway, thanks everyone for the praise. I hope it lives up to expectations once in use.
-Oliver

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2004, 07:42 AM

at least skin the app widgets
looking great, btw.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2004, 10:47 AM

How's this?
:Jawdrop:

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 11:52 AM

You and your async animation
How's this?

It is 1000x better than leaving it as Aqua's. If you come up with something better, you can always have version 1.01. And thanks!

Edit: Wait. I had an idea after I replied. What if the 4 dots expand, then when they reach the outside, they fade off. Hard to do with 12 frames? :/

Edit2: Variation on the expand + fade idea. Before the expanded dots finish fading, start them up again from the inside. A continuous supply.

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
It is 1000x better than leaving it as Aqua's. If you come up with something better, you can always have version 1.01. And thanks!

Edit: Wait. I had an idea after I replied. What if the 4 dots expand, then when they reach the outside, they fade off. Hard to do with 12 frames? :/

Edit2: Variation on the expand + fade idea. Before the expanded dots finish fading, start them up again from the inside. A continuous supply.
That sounds like a good idea kwyjiboy, I'll play with it and see how it looks.
-Oliver

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2004, 02:30 PM

FWIW, I've seen the resource contain up to 24 frames.

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
FWIW, I've seen the resource contain up to 24 frames.
Unfortunately, as I just found out, the first 12 are for active window states, and the second 12 for inactive window states. Bummer, as I was trying to do a slower animation.
-Oliver

Pixelwerx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 03:24 PM

What about this one?

Maybe I'll choose whichever one the masses like most.
-Oliver

silencedge
Dec 21, 2004, 07:17 PM

The first one... well, it's more... flowy...

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 08:38 PM

wow, nice work!

for the ASYNC... i'd have to say the 2nd one - fade to the outside then start again. i think that looks more flowy.

can't wait to see a preview with the proper text color as well.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 09:51 PM

I like the first one.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 09:59 PM

What about this one?

Maybe I'll choose whichever one the masses like most.
That's close. But as someone else said about this image after you posted it:

What's it look like if, before the outside dots finish fading, a new set of dots has appeared in the middle again? So.. by the time all four corners have orange dots, the middle is makin' more dots. God this is exciting. I need to get out.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 09:38 PM

This theme is too good looking to just whimper away from us so.... BUMP!

Forum Links
Forum Rules