Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A thought about cross-fade effect and Rage Pro

A thought about cross-fade effect and Rage Pro
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 02:37 PM

I have a Blueberry iBook and I am one of the partially supported customers.
The other day I happened to try a slideshow in Graphic Converter. There, you can select the cross-fade Quicktime Effect... And it works really well!.
I wonder why didn't Apple implement this on iPhoto.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2003, 02:48 PM

I believe you can also force the cross fade with the .Mac screensaver... with a RagePro, it does *not* work well.

The crossfade effect used in iPhoto and the screensavers is done with OpenGL, which I believe is not accelerated with the RagePro.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2003, 02:52 PM

iPhoto uses OpenGL to do the crossfade transitions. That means that it uses very little CPU and garuantees fluid animation.
QuickTime probably uses plain CopyBits or calculates the transition itself. That will use more CPU and is likely choppy on slower Macs.

iPhoto could fall back to QuickTime if OpenGL is not available. Maybe a future version will do that? I think crossfade is new in QuickTime.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 03:08 PM

The idea is that, in fact, iPhoto would use QT when OpenGL is not available. The cross fade effect has been there since QT 5 (AFAIK).
On my iBook 300MHz the effect is not choppy at all. Besides, if you are watching a slideshow how much would mind if it uses high CPU time (as long as it is not INSANE CPU time...)

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Nai no Kami:
The idea is that, in fact, iPhoto would use QT when OpenGL is not available. The cross fade effect has been there since QT 5 (AFAIK).
On my iBook 300MHz the effect is not choppy at all. Besides, if you are watching a slideshow how much would mind if it uses high CPU time (as long as it is not INSANE CPU time...)
Agree it would be possible. However, it would require extra coding and environment checking, and Apple is probably unwilling to devote the resources.

After all, the iCandy apps are primarily intended to be incentives to get a (new) Mac to run them.

I can't imagine scrolling through a library of thumbnails is all that smooth on a 300 MHz Mac either?

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Jan 31, 2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
I can't imagine scrolling through a library of thumbnails is all that smooth on a 300 MHz Mac either?
You would be surprised about how acceptable it is... (not really smooth though)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2003, 11:20 AM

As I understand it, the Rage Pro does have 2-D and QuickTime acceleration under OSX, though the latter usually only has any real effect in full-screen mode because in windowed mode Quartz becomes a bottleneck. What it lacks -and what everyone complains about- is 3-D support.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules