Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Which Browser?

Which Browser?
robot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 01:59 PM

Hello all my name is.. well most people call me Punky so you all can too Anypoop I was wondering what browser is the best? I am currently using Camino but it crashes alot, and it doesnt seem to load some things (css, image maps) random things. I have also tried IE for mac, and I really didnt like that. I recently downloaded the new Mozilla Firebird but I really dont like it either. Maybe I am just being too picky. I am a new mac user *stands proud*

So which is the better browser? Name your favorite and I will give it a shot. I just want something that loads most things quickly and one that is more reliable. Thanks in advance!
\ /
[..]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2003, 02:07 PM

Have you tried Safari yet? It's Apple's own browser and it's currently the highest quality browser out there.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2003, 02:28 PM

Its got to be Safari, if not, Camino.

Safari still crashes for me... but so does Camino, which renders poorly.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 02:34 PM

The latest Camino nightlies are faster, render better, and a tiny bit less stable than Safari for me.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2003, 02:40 PM

Safari 100% for me. I have nothing pulling me in any other direction. Every so often I have to open IE to get something to render properly but it is extremely rare that Safari can't load a page I want to see. It's a lot more rare than when I used to use Camino. I can't speak for anything on that front in the last 6 mo. though.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2003, 02:41 PM

robot:

You are from Wichita, KS? I used to live there.

Anyway, go with Safari, it's great...

http://www.apple.com/safari

asaturno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 02:50 PM

Safari is still too buggy for me. And it still has trouble with java. I recomment Mozilla...rock solid and fast and compliant. I am currently using 1.5a with no problems.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2003, 03:38 PM

My own personal favorite is Omniweb. The last official release (4.2.x) is not as fast as the other choices out there, but the 4.5 releases use the same rendering engine as Safari and so rendering speeds are close if not identical.

Further OW's got what's commonly thought of as one of the best/most polished user interfaces of any browser. (Highlights include shortcuts, very customizable ad blocking/pop-up blocking, bookmark checking, etc.).

Basically you should be deciding between Camino, Safari, & Omniweb. I'd suggest using each in turn for a while and seeing what suits your needs best.
cpac

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 05:37 PM

cpac:
Well said. I like OmniWeb alot. I'm hoping that OW 5.0 will come out soon. That will be soooo nice. Sometimes, I find myself running OmniWeb...JUST to look at how pretty it is. To me that's a testament to how well the UI is designed.

But yes, try out all those mentioned and see which one works best for you. No one said you have to be confined to using just one. Right now, I using all 3 - Safari, OmniWeb, and Camino.

robot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 08:11 PM

wow! so many people responded! Yeah I tried safari before too and it crashed alot
Maybe I will give it a try again. I cant wait for the newer release of Camino, I really like it alot except for the crashes. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

GoRicky: Yes I am from Wichita
\ /
[..]

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Jul 31, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Safari 100% for me. I have nothing pulling me in any other direction. Every so often I have to open IE to get something to render properly but it is extremely rare that Safari can't load a page I want to see. It's a lot more rare than when I used to use Camino. I can't speak for anything on that front in the last 6 mo. though.
Have you tried keywords in bookmarks and in-winndow text search in Camino? I hope they could change your mind, cuz I can't live without them.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Jul 31, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by robot:
wow! so many people responded! Yeah I tried safari before too and it crashed alot
Maybe I will give it a try again. I cant wait for the newer release of Camino, I really like it alot except for the crashes. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Get Camino nightly here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/camino/nightly/latest/

Or better yet, get this:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8560

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 09:01 PM

No one mentioned netscape?

It's fairly bloated/too many features but its quite nice though!

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/7863

Give it a shot, very stable in my experience.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2003, 09:05 PM

" but so does Camino, which renders poorly."
ermm nope its the sites you visit that are written poorly im afriad

camino all the way

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 12:26 AM

Safari 95%, Explorer 5%.

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 02:06 AM

So which is the better browser? Name your favorite and I will give it a shot. I just want something that loads most things quickly and one that is more reliable. Thanks in advance!
When not on os X there is little but no choice : Mozilla/Firebird. On X go with Camino, take the time to get a nightly. A lot of things have happened since the 0.7 release. ON Camino's page and on the camino mailing list it is recommended to switch from the 0.7 release to the nightly build of JUly 15th 2003.

robot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 02:17 AM

I got the Nightly, but its taking forever to backup camino.. is this normal?
\ /
[..]

robot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 02:36 AM

Okay it finally backed it up but now everything is SUPER slow
\ /
[..]

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 03:05 AM

Okay it finally backed it up but now everything is SUPER slow
What do you call backuping ? and what is slow ?

robot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 03:26 AM

The program Camino Nightly backed up camino? Slow just everything is taking forever to load now, if I open mail its slow, if I open finder its slow, takes like 1 minute to get anything to respond.
\ /
[..]

lipstick.smears
Aug 1, 2003, 05:01 AM

Im still here, just got a new username people kept calling me a guy.. what?!! girls cant be robots?

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 06:38 AM

i use safari as my default, and figures are starting to suggest that everyone else on a mac is too.

Other than that use ie when really have to, and keep mozilla on hand just to make sure anything im designing works like it should
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Forum Links
Forum Rules