Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > dont want to see the xp machines on my network

dont want to see the xp machines on my network
Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 04:45 PM

hi, at work we have a spiffy xserve and g5 network, a lot of our pc's (xp pro machines) also can see into our xserve for file sharing as they are supposed to, every time i go to see other macs on the network in local i see whole bunch of the work pc's as well.

They dont have to be there, is there any way i can make the pc's not appear on the network, as they seem to be slowing things down??
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Griggsy:

They dont have to be there, is there any way i can make the pc's not appear on the network, as they seem to be slowing things down??
You're lucky...I have the opposite problem. My XP Pro PC with file sharing appears in my Mac's network browser only about 10% of the time!

Have you tried disabling file sharing on the PCs, or turning on the XP firewall?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Griggsy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2004, 03:44 AM

how do you disable sharing on the xp box??
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Griggsy:
how do you disable sharing on the xp box??
Assuming you're set up to use a workgroup (not a domain server), XP has simple file sharing turned on by default. You can disable it in a couple of different ways--here's a good article:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...p_filesharing/

Note: I don't know if doing so will prevent the computers from appearing in the network browser, but try it on one of them and see if it helps.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules