Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning PowerBook screen - help!

Cleaning PowerBook screen - help!
zencat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 04:35 PM

So I bought the iKlear Apple Polish Singles ("the #1 recommended cleaner/polish for your Apple Macintosh") and I used it on my Powerbook G4 screen and...yikes! I now have these nasty dry streaks everywhere on my screen (most noticeable when it's turned off and the sun hits it). More cleaning just leaves more streaks.

Before I embarrass myself by taking my computer to the Apple Store Genius Bar for cleaning (hardly a task for "geniuses" I think), can anyone recommend the best way I could clean this myself?

kalani79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 04:37 PM

I use Dust-Off anti-static monitor wipes (which are probably the same thing) and notice the same dry streaks. I think the problem is the wipers are too moist and leave moisture on the screen. So, I take one out of the container, let it dry a little, then use it to wipe the screen. Seems to work better.

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2004, 04:40 PM

take a cleanex or something similar, soak it with deionized (or destilled water), not too much (avoid dripping), clean GENTLE the entire screen, allow to dry, viola!

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

zencat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
take a cleanex or something similar, soak it with deionized (or destilled water), not too much (avoid dripping), clean GENTLE the entire screen, allow to dry, viola!
Viola indeed! That worked like a dream. The streaks are gone!

Thank you so much, , euphras.

meatyocre
Dec 4, 2004, 06:26 PM

iKlear works very well when:

Take the wet wipe and swipe away all the dust and dirt on the screen/ case. Next take the dry wipe, and immediately buff away any remaining residue and keep buffing until all the streaks are gone. I have heard people complain about streaks, but I don't think they are buffing enough. Also, iKlear used in conjunction with a microfiber cloth has produced stunning results. Everyone has their own little tricks, just make sure the cleaning agent is safe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules