Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > cd/dvd printers and drying times

cd/dvd printers and drying times
Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 06:47 AM

Hi, we're looking for a printer with one prime function the printing of cd and dvd labels, we would have a fairly low output 4-6 dvds at a time but we would need them to be ready on a very quick turnaround, which is worrying as the majority of inkjet printers that i have seen, the espon r800 or canon's pixma range seem to require a long drying time.

Any body have any suggestions?
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

powertrippin
Baninated
Apr 13, 2005, 01:23 PM

Do you mean the ability to print directly onto the discs? Or stick on labels?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 03:25 PM

I thought epson inks dried instantly. Not that I recommend any epson printer though.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Griggsy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 04:44 PM

its for printing directly onto cd/dvd, they can be print ready though, it was just i had read a review of the epson r800 which had said burn the data 1st then print your disc and leave for 24hrs before you play it to allow the inks to dry
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2005, 05:01 PM

I was looking at an R320 recently, and the Epson rep printed something on some glossy photo paper-which should be pretty close to printable media. It dried while I was watching it come out.

I wouldn't run a disc in a drive for a long time, though, since the surface is all you can see drying; it's better to let it dry thoroughly to prevent centrifugal forces from screwing up your printing.

And I NEVER even print a label until the disc is finalized and has been tested. Why bother?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Griggsy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 04:53 AM

still not quite answering the problem, does anyone know of anyt printers that get round the drying problem

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 14, 2005, 03:16 PM

I'd say it's really more a question of the media: in inkjet photo papers, there are two types: standard and instant-dry. My Canon i850, for example, uses ink that is really only compatible with the instant-dry papers. (On the others, the ink pools up and doesn't dry quickly.) If anyone makes blank discs that are coated with instant-dry inkjet coating, they should be ready to use instantly.

I also would guess that, no matter what the printer companies say, I'd print first and burn second (except in slot-load drives), because the writer will cause the disc to get somewhat warm, which would help dry the ink!

The other option is to get a thermal-transfer or dye-sublimation disc printer, which requires no drying time at all.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules