Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > just got it!!! WooHoo!!!

just got it!!! WooHoo!!!
robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 03:47 AM

Hi All
I placed an order for an 800 mhz imac through Apple Edu last friday ( 2-21) and figured I would be lucky if I got my imac before April. I told myself i wouldn't torture myself by checking the order status page everyday.

On Saturday I walked into fry's burbank and spent some time admiring the display imac. (By the way, I saw the singer Seal at this fry's a couple of months ago buying an ipod) While I was there, I mentioned to a salesperson (Don) that I was interested in buying an imac. He took my name and number and said he would call me when one came in. Based on my past experiences at fry's, I didnt really expect to hear from this guy again. But surprise, I got a call this evening saying that he received a shipment of 5 imacs today and had been trying to reach me all afternoon. As you can guess, I drove to fry's in record time and made it w/ just 2 minutes 'til closing. I am now happily typing on my new imac!! This is just an amazing machine. It set up so easily. No hassles. Beautiful screen (no dead pixels) . I'm listening to internet radio right now and familiarizing myself w/ OS X, which I think rocks!!!

The last Apple product I bought was back in the1980s (Mac 512k-no hard drive, you ran MS Word from a floppy) When I went to college I "had" to buy a PC and well just sort of got stuck buying PCs. But I'm really glad that I went the Apple route this time. When Apple drops a G4 in the ibook, and when the G5 desktops come out I'll be ready...by the way, how much are those ipods? (this is going to be expensive...)

Notes + Questions

1. I bought a desk at office depot for $70 a couple of weeks ago. The light color of the veneer (pseudo-birch) really complements the white of the imac. this desk was a bargain and set up easily. Also the legs are painted a silver that matches the case of the quicksilvers. ill post pics of my setup soon.

2. apple keyboards have short cords. I had a USB extension cable laying around and so I am using it . The Mouse seems to track OK while using the extension but I had to bump up the speed in the system preferences.

3. Are there any settings I should adjust in order to optimize my download speeds, application performance etc? I recall reading something about turning off airport search feature, but i think that may have only applied to the ibooks.

4. I can just put this baby to sleep, instead of shutting down, right?

Thanks very much.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 04:10 AM

If your mouse tracks slower with the extension cord, chances are it's not getting enough power. I don't think that's safe to do. You should use one of Apple's USB extension cables.

You can put the machine to sleep by pressing the power button once or selecting sleep from the menu.

dawaves
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 06:29 AM

Awesome!!! I am glad you decided to come back into the Mac community. To answer some of your questions...Yes it is preferred that you put hte imac to sleep instead of shutting down. I believe the placement of the power switch itself conveys clearly Apple's intention of promoting an 'instant on' feature. As for any performance enhancing programs, try www.download.com under mac stuff for some useful programs. I really would like to see the desk too. Please post pic right away. thanks and congratulations.
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

- Steve Jobs (founder and CEO of Apple, Pixar, NeXT, and hopefully Disney)

robby818  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 09:48 AM

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: robby818 ]

Sosa
Senior User
Feb 26, 2002, 11:47 AM

Ha! It seems so many people tried to see your setup Robby818, that your provider disabled access! Goes to show how fanatic we Mac people are! Welcome to the Apple fold.

Message from geocities: The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 01:17 PM

Welcome to the "I got my iMac club" here in the forums. I got my new iMac off eBay a week ago. The individual I purchased it from sent me the receipt and he had managed to snag it at Fry's also. Fry's and Outpost came out smelling like a rose with this first with the most. I don't know how they managed to get so many iMacs, but they did. Enjoy!
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

YoungTurk
Feb 26, 2002, 04:31 PM

Robby - nice desk - who's the manufacturer, and model no. would be nice too.

Thanks,

YoungTurk
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2002, 04:41 PM

Fire up iTools and you'll have a page of your setup pics on the net inside of 10 minutes.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2002, 05:05 PM

Welcome back to Macintosh!

now put that G4 to good use crunching for Team MacNN!
http://team.macnn.com
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

robby818  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 05:42 PM

I bought the desk at Office Depot. It's called the Studio RTA� Wave Table.
Here's the link: http://www.officedepot.com/shop/cata...2G08&PP=301001

It sells for $99 regulary, but if you sign up for their e-mail list they frequently send coupons for 15 or 20 bucks off of purchases > $50.

Sorry about the problems w/ viewing the pics. I'll try posting again (hopefully w/ bigger+better pics) using itools.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 12:19 AM

Welcome back to the good side! I hope you enjoy your purchase immensly, as Macs usually provide the best user experience in computing.
I should have my new iMac this week, so I'll join you then!
Enjoy being one of the many who know what real computing is about!

Forum Links
Forum Rules