Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to clean an iBook

How to clean an iBook
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 04:58 PM

My iBook is about 8 months old and the area around the screen, and the keyboard are starting to look a little dingy. Is there anything good to use to clean white ibooks?
John

icec0ld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 01:00 AM

heres wut ive done for my month old ibook. i took the mr clean magic eraser and cut it up into 16 (4x4) cubes and ive use it to clean the keyboard, trackpad and wrist areas of my ibook. makes em look brand new! you should try it out. theyre cheap and work real well, but make sure they arent too damn and you turn off your ibook and remove the battery (obviously but just a friendly reminder)

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 02:59 PM

Just use a wet soft tissu. Nothing else.

ahisma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 11:01 PM

I recently had an experience where case stained my iBook (seems the G4s are made of an absorbent plastic).

I couldn't get it off with the standard approved iBook cleaners, so I took it to the Apple Store.

They tried a product called "Simple Green", and it worked great! They used it in it's concentrated form, and it couased no damage. it was a wee bit sticky afterward, but I just used a bit of iClean, and it was as good as new. I think it's probably a bit extreme for everyday needs, but for those emergency situations, it worked great.

Because I only used it on the outer case, i would be hesitant to use it on the keyboard, track pad, or any of the plastics exposed when the iBook is open. I would also strongly advise against using it on the screen.

meatyocre
Aug 17, 2005, 08:10 AM

This place has some really good products for cleaning laptops: http://www.laptopscreenprotector.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules