Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I broke my iTune app (8-(

I broke my iTune app (8-(
512ke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2010, 08:26 PM

Clearing trash from my HD, probably tossed a vital component. It was iTunes 6.0.4 on my Tiger G3. Worked nicely until I hosed it. Yes I know better and I should be ridiculed and kicked.
I tossed the rest of the app and reinstalled v8.2, said to be the last version for G3. I chose the v8 over the v6 only because I could never find a damn thing on apple's non-supportive website. Would have used 6 otherwise. I would pull 6 off a Tiger DVD but its deeply packed away as I am moving in a few days.
Same neg result with newly installed v8, app fails to launch, tries but fails. Exactly like the version 6 that I hosed. Im open to a non apple music program as well, if there is a good one. I definitely dont need the useless bloat of the new improved versions I see on on newer OS machines. Apples music store is the last place you would find me so I dont need that function.
Any ideas appreciated.
( Last edited by 512ke; Sep 22, 2010 at 09:01 PM. )

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2010, 07:31 PM

I'd delete all the iTunes plists and preference files but that means I'd use an uninstaller which finds all that for me. Here is a link that explains what I mean (I purposely found an older link so it should relate to your install).
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

512ke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks, that is sound advice on the proper re-install but not working. I seem to have deleted a file (perhaps a font?) that several apps find necessary to properly launch as I discovered AppleWorks 6 wont fire up nor does MS Office X. All other minor apps seem normal, as do Firefox, Safari, Mail, texedit based apps etc. It just seems to be the behemoths that are affected. Word and Its office cohorts fail to launch independently but oddly, if I double click a Word doc instead of the Word app, Word opens and behaves normally.
Im thinking it will take a OS refresh to correct this. Again all my cd-dvds are packed away so it will have to wait.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2010, 05:08 PM

Have you checked in console.app to see if something is moaning?

Forum Links
Forum Rules