Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > USB3 in New imacs a/o MBP's

USB3 in New imacs a/o MBP's
imdipped
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2012, 03:18 PM

If I plug in a USB2 thumb-drive do I bring all the 3's down to 2? Tia

P
Oct 30, 2012, 01:14 AM

I don't think so. USB 3.0 uses a different set of pins inside the connector, so it should really be two busses in one connector. In any case, you can only bring down one bus, and most Macs have two.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

imdipped  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2012, 06:11 AM

Thanks, I was hoping each connector was individually powered. At present, the wired mac keyboard and mouse are 2's. If they don't have any measurable effect then Apple probably won't update the hardware. They probably want you to use wireless anyway.

imdipped  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2012, 06:16 AM

In addition I would like to see an update to BT4 on their peripherals for better battery life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules