Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Indie band turns iPhone 'Marimba' ringtone into pop song

Indie band turns iPhone 'Marimba' ringtone into pop song
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 21, 2013, 10:28 PM

Indie LA-based band Mars Argo have prominently used the iPhone's distinctive "Marimba" ringtone -- the default one that relatively few owners ever change -- as the basis of an entire song for their latest single, ironically titled "Don't Call Me." While many will find the gimmick catchy in the effervescent pop song, iPhone owners who are Pavlovian in their response to a ringing iPhone should likely approach the song with caution -- the tone is used continuously throughout the track, though there are sections where it fades into the background.

The band itself has been in the LA scene for a few years and released a full-length album, called Technology is a Dead Bird in late 2009. Since then, the band has followed up with an EP and a recent two-song single, all of which are available through either iTunes or Bandcamp. The "Don't Call Me" song is a promotional release at this point and will likely be included on a future formal release.

The band's video (seen below) showcases their college-alternative influenced sparse pop stylings. Ironically, the song lends itself to being a ringtone -- an augmented version of Marimba, or a curveball when it is used as an Android ringtone.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM. )

Quark108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2013, 11:29 PM

That is my wake-up alarm and because of it I have been conditioned to hate that ringtone. Subsequently, that means I hate that song... It makes me want to hit snooze to shut it up!

kerryb
Jun 22, 2013, 09:21 AM

awful.

calier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2013, 02:12 PM

This is a disgrace to both Music and the Marimba ringtone.

DavidO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2013, 04:25 PM

I'd do her!

avfolk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2013, 04:50 PM

GAWD what a loser performance.
Some people will do anything to get noticed.
If I were Apple I'd sue for defamation.
----------------------------
 michael sidoric / austin, tx

kerryb
Jun 22, 2013, 07:32 PM

possibly the least imaginable use of that chime or ring tone.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2013, 12:27 AM

Not too bad. I like the middle part where guitar kicks in and the sound matches really well.

revco
Jun 24, 2013, 01:23 AM

Tucked in t-shirt is always a good look.

makemineamac
Jul 4, 2013, 03:10 PM

I thought this was great, just a cool idea taking one of the most common ring tones/alarm sounds and making a song out of it.. Original song. Loved it.

There will always be critics of course, but most critics don't know what the hell they're talking about anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules