Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Very satisfied with my TI 400 (Near Perfect if you ask me)

Very satisfied with my TI 400 (Near Perfect if you ask me)
m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2001, 08:37 PM

I am posting this from the inside of the Metropolitan Museum, thanks to ricochet and my TI... I never thought this would have been possible 3 years ago, I think the significance gets lost, when everyone bickers over small issues.

I must say, its weight, its dimensions, are just perfect.
Sure I have one dead pixel, sure I wish it was 1.2Ghz with 2GB RAM, but it is close enough to perfect for me.

And with OS X on the way, who can really complain ?! (this is not an open invitiation for complaints ).

Everyone needs to relax, and realize what they have, some people cant even afford a computer, and we are arguing about a few dead pixels on our Portable, Titanium, 1 inch thick, 5.x pound, Mega-Wide Screen, Super Computers!!??

M2

[This message has been edited by m2bored (edited 03-09-2001).]

idjeff
Senior User
Mar 9, 2001, 10:25 PM

I must second your opinion of the Ti. I received my 500 two days ago and have no problems whatsoever( although it runs a bit hot during DVD playback....71C, but I guess that's what the fan is for.

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

dawaves
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2001, 12:03 AM

I agree!!!

My Ti 400/10/128 is absolutly PERFECT....no dead pixels, no loud humming but VERY QUIET, DVD is perfect, etc...

WOW, THX Steve Jobs!!!
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

- Steve Jobs (founder and CEO of Apple, Pixar, NeXT, and hopefully Disney)

packley
Mar 10, 2001, 12:36 AM

I've got to agree, too. Just got my Powerbook G4 400/128/20, and I'm loving it.

The screen is enormous (of course, I'm stepping up from an iBook, so any screen might seem enourmous.). The keyboard feels very nice. I like the dact that it is a little farther away from me, relative to the front of the machine. Makes it easier to type while sitting in my lazy boy chair. Speaking of surfing from the lazy boy, I gotta say that I just put in an airport card, and while that was easy enough, putting the bottom of the case back on was a real mother bear. I was cocky going into it, thinking with all the warning it would be no sweat, but I was wrong. Getting all four of those notches to line up so you can lower the thing down in the correct alignment was a pain in the you know what.

Other than that, I'm in love with a peice of titanium.

PS - It has metallic light grey borders, just like the other two TiBooks I've seen. And, oh yeah, installing extra ram is a peice of cake.

packley
Mar 10, 2001, 03:57 AM

Oops, there's one stuck pixel (Red, on black screen). Oh well, I still love it.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2001, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by packley:
Oops, there's one stuck pixel (Red, on black screen). Oh well, I still love it.
got mine yesterday, also had a red pixel on black. gently rubbing the back of the cover lid helped. came back once, but oh well, my 165c had over 10 stuck pixels.

other than that. the waiting -- over six weeks -- was worth it. a perfect machine!

PowerBookDude
Mar 10, 2001, 10:51 AM

I love my Ti. Is just so neat!

And no problems what so ever!

Thanks again Apple!

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport
------------------
Pismo 500/256/12/Airport
------------------
iMac DV SE 400/128/12/Airport
------------------
iBook Blueberry 300/96/3/Airport

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2001, 01:31 PM

Mine is awesome too, no problems, no dead pixels, can't hear my hard drive and if my fan has turned on I didn't notice. It does produce heat but not much more than my PowerBook 5300 or 1400 did.

spike
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2001, 03:00 PM

Ti 400/10/384mb greatest laptop ever.
No dead pixels, no white border, no DVD issues

A happy mac addict

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2001, 05:37 PM

Mine has none of the flaws that have been talked about as well. Mine is perfect...

------------------
ort!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Mar 10, 2001, 05:48 PM

I've had my PB 55/20/256 for three weeks now. No problems whatsoever. Getting the bottom of the case back on after installing airport was a painus in the anus, but other than that, I have no complaints.

I can't believe how great / beautiful / fast this thing is. It is totally awesome!
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2001, 09:19 PM

Mine is perfect and wonderful as well although I did manage to strip a screw while replacing the back case after installing an airport card.
I would advise extreme caution when opening and closing the backside.

[This message has been edited by jules (edited 03-10-2001).]

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2001, 11:01 PM

I really like mine. There's a great optical illusion where the screen looks bigger and a lot wider than it really is. If you can't compare them side by side, you'd think it's 2 inches or more wider than the older Powerbooks. Really nice feel to the keyboard. Watched a Galaxy Quest DVD on it and it was like having a portable, personal theater.

One dead blue pixel, unfortunately.

I wish Apple had used one big speaker rather than the two tinny-sounding little ones. Stereo sound is ridiculous if both speakers sound like crap. Better to have one, better sounding speaker for mono.

My fan does come on pretty often though. If I leave the processor at full speed and work for a few hours, the fan comes on and stays on for a few minutes every half hour or so. Reducing processor speed gets rid of the problem. I specifically raised the PB to get better air circulation underneath, but it doesn't seem to help. The right speaker grill gets pretty hot.

[This message has been edited by Titanium Man (edited 03-10-2001).]

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2001, 11:08 PM

Oh yea, perfection is wondereful. Ya know, when you read some of the problems, you feel anxious when you first get the Ti, and open the box. But, all I can say is, mine has been darn near perfect. A slight problem with the trackpad, had to send to Apple to fix. But to Apple's credit, I had my Ti back in 2 days.

------------------

jack daddy
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2001, 12:08 AM

i feel the same ways bugs does. i read the threads and i was anxious to see what i would get. i got perfection. no dead pixels. nothing. perfection.

BIGGEST SURPRISE?

how big the screen actually is. any designers out there? quark-photoshop-illustrator users will love this. you can fit a good size working area and a the tools on the screen very nice and neatly. perfect-bravo!

helios
Mar 11, 2001, 01:17 AM

m2bored: you started another thread trying to clear up the silver/white border issue, but it was closed by Tooki. The picture you referred to there (the one on Apple's website) is of the silver border. That's what people are referring to when they say silver or light grey. (There was a darker grey border on the demo units at MWSF, but to my knowledge none of the shipped production units had that darker grey.)

The white that has been mentioned is an unmistakable white - "bathtub" white, in the memorable phrase of one unfortunate recipient. Not at all the same thing.

I would have posted this to the current white border thread, but you hadn't posted there so I wasn't sure you were reading it. If you're still skeptical, look for the posts of jmatero. He got a white one, while his friend in the same office got a silver one.

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2001, 01:29 AM

Helios...

Thats not what I was saying...everyone misunderstood me.
I was saying that some pople said "Apple never said it had a white/grey/silver border..... I was mearly pointing out that there has been an indication from apple since the beginning that the TI had a two tone look. (I myself have one with a bathtub white border, and think it looks great).

M2

helios
Mar 11, 2001, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by m2bored:
Helios...

Thats not what I was saying...everyone misunderstood me.
I was saying that some pople said "Apple never said it had a white/grey/silver border..... I was mearly pointing out that there has been an indication from apple since the beginning that the TI had a two tone look. (I myself have one with a bathtub white border, and think it looks great).
Ah! I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Probably the more uniform appearance of the demo units at MWSF had something to do with people being surprised by the two-tone look. Also, it wasn't very well advertised initially that the titanium would be painted, not bare. ('Course, if it were bare, it would be uniform in color...)

So you actually like the white, huh? I am amazed. Visual aesthetics are a very personal thing...

-T
Mar 11, 2001, 04:16 AM

back to the original topic...

i love my 400 Ti. Awesome. Two dead pixels emerged, but went away after i pressed in the back slightly.. never came back yet. Totally awesome... the heat is very harm... a bit too hot, but very livable. Love the airport (though it was tedious putting one in). Wireless is great everywhere in my house. Screen is totally awesome. Very bright compared to the older PowerBooks (though this is my very first notebook).

Put in another 256 RAM (only costing $130), and it's a screamer. Just can't wait for OS X. Awesome TV out. Next in line is to get a 75gig firewire drive.

Also, I brought it to work, and everyone loves it. Even all the anti-mac crew (except for one totally PC dufus who actually liked windows XP). Installed win2k on this thing as well. Gonna try out dialpad with VPC and see how it works (it was a bit choppy on my 466 G3 desktop).

Forum Links
Forum Rules