Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Update to Mavericks from Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Update to Mavericks from Snow Leopard 10.6.8
imdipped
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2014, 07:28 PM

When I go to App Store I can't find it to download. External websites that mention downloading supply a link that no longer works. I have prepared and an ready to go. The reason I am going to Mavericks is I just bought iWork 09 and I want to install before going to Yosemite.

imdipped  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2014, 03:08 PM

I have made an appointment at a Genius Bar to see if they can help me out. My appointment is on Wednesday afternoon 10/05/14. I'll let you know the verdict.

Thorzdad
Nov 3, 2014, 07:01 PM

I'm pretty sure Apple pulls previous versions of OS X from the App Store when a new version is released. So, all the App Store is going to show you is Yosemite, which sets 10.6.8 as the minimum requirement for installation.

Good luck at the Genius Bar.

imdipped  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2014, 11:01 PM

The Genius Bar was able to upgrade me to Mavericks but it didn’t go according to my plan. They couldn’t give me a disk image so I would have the option to install either over Snow Leopard or do a clean install according to my schedule. As it turned out, they couldn’t do an overwrite. Nowhere in my searches did it indicate that it wouldn’t be straight forward and it was a surprise to them also. I was forced to do a clean install and then use migration assistant to copy all my stuff back from my backup. I assume that seven years of crud went back also. I have to give them an atta boy for getting the job done. When I got back home to upgrade my iWork to version 9.3 I was surprised that Software Update didn’t show it. I really had to dig around the Apple website to find the updater. I did and it worked. I’m good to go now.
However, everything seems to work except I can’t get my printer recognized. I upgraded the drivers and the firmware from Brother’s website and powered down and up but still no go. I reinstalled my Brother Printer disk to no avail. I tried to find the system library but it seems to be hidden. I will have to locate it, but that and how to get my printer to work will be different forum questions.

imdipped  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2014, 11:20 PM

My bad. I forgot to plug the printer USB cable into the computer. I also found the Library.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 6, 2014, 04:54 PM

You could have taken an external drive along, and had them install Mavericks clean on it. Then updated it the way you'd planned. Assuming it all worked as expected, you could then clone the external drive to the internal drive. Or use the recovery partition on the external to install clean on the internal, and repeat the Migration Assistant process.

imdipped  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2014, 12:21 AM

I didn't think of that. However, I don’t know how this happened. When I went to the Apple Store, I had an external drive with two partitions on it. One with my Snow Leopard backup and an empty one I named Mavericks. When I got home I tried to clone the Mavericks install onto the partition. It said i couldn’t do it because it had a bootable OS on it. I opened it up and there was Restore disk on it. I don’t know how it got there. I had the external drive plugged into the computer at the time the tech said he couldn’t upgrade over Snow Leopard. That is the only time it could have happened but I don’t know how he could have touched it. I assume I could do a fresh install with that. I may give it a try. You can bet that I will download new OS disk images from now on even if I don’t think I will ever use it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules