Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No fan in OS X'd PowerBooks?

No fan in OS X'd PowerBooks?
Grifter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 08:24 PM

Hey all,

Just to check as this worries me a little, but does anybody's Ti (or other PB for that matter) have the fan come on at all while using OS X? For the last 4 days my fan hasn't even made a slight spin up. Maybe it's because OS X runs cooler? Or is that it IS just plain cooler to use? Seriously though, my fan would come on regularly when using OS 9.1. The consequences of overheating my PB are certainly not thrilling, so I'd certainly like to know if I should revert to 9 for the time being.

Cheers,
Kristofor a.k.a. Grifter

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 09:03 PM

Hi Grifter,
I have noticed that my fan comes on much less frequently, but it still does come on. I like the fact that it doesn't come on as much. If I boot into 9.1, it reverts back to the more frequent pattern... what about yours in 9.1?
dave

bighead
Senior User
Mar 27, 2001, 09:14 PM

mine actually comes on more with OS X. I'm on a Pismo 500.

I should note that the fan is probably affected by the RC5 cracker that is running, since it pretty much maximizes the CPU.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

dawaves
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2001, 09:44 PM

This Ti fan deal is weird...

I only recently found out that my Ti has a fan.....

no, seriously...when it came on it sacred the sh%t out of me

and Ive had my Ti for about 3 weeks!!!

and yes its on a lot running 9.1.

weird stuff....
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

- Steve Jobs (founder and CEO of Apple, Pixar, NeXT, and hopefully Disney)

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 02:07 AM

I have a TI 500 and I also have never had the fan come on until I installed OS X and now it comes on all the time. I am happy to see how quiet it is. I am almost certain it is due to no hard disk spin down and vitual memory being on all the time.

Grifter  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2001, 02:55 AM

Oi!

I haven't really used 9.1 much since I've installed OS X on the 'Book, so I don't know if the fan would come on more frequently. It's weird that there are so many conflicting stories with fan spin up frequency. It seems almost random. I heard that power management is still only in Classic, so who knows if OS X really supports PBs fully (especially considering that the supplied 9.1 disk apparently doesn't work with Ti's. [I was too impatient and just installed X over my current 9.1 instead of installing clean and then X.])

I'm enjoying X immensely anyway, so c'est la vie.

Cheers,
Grifter

idjeff
Senior User
Mar 28, 2001, 05:01 AM

I've noticed that my fan does not come on as often as it did with 9.1 (Ti500) and, in fact with X I'd swear that it runs cooler. It seems just as warm on the bottom from the center over to the right, but the area near the power button doesn't seem to be as warm. I wouldn't have a clue as to why.

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

Cipher13
Mar 28, 2001, 06:54 AM

Probably the way OSX dynamically allocates processor time...

Cipher13

spike
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2001, 08:53 AM

I've been using my Ti book for almost 2 months now (under 9.1)
I've heard the fan twice

A happy mac addict

cjno
Mar 28, 2001, 04:34 PM

If you have a large amount of RAM, the less you swap. The less you swap, the less your disk is spinning. The less your disk is spinning, the longer your autonomy is, and your computer is less hot.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 06:52 PM

I think that we are noticing a randomness because I beleive that it depends on if you are running classic in the background all the time and how often you run a classic app.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2001, 03:34 AM

The night I installed OS X, around 2am when I was sleeping, I was awakened to hear the fan on my Powerbook G3 spinning louder than anything in my entire life (for a computer fan that is).

I had to disconnect the battrey and shut the machine down, But since then no problems.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules