Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > COUNTER-STRIKE for mac???

COUNTER-STRIKE for mac???
dawaves
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2001, 11:15 AM

MAN IM TIRED OF THIS!!! COUNTER-STRIKE IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST GAME OUT THERE AND THE MAC PLATFORM DOES NOT SUPPORT IT!!! WTF??? I HAVE TO UTILIZE MY ROOMMATES PC TO PLAY CS WHILE MY G4/400 IS ALL ALONE IN MY ROOM COLLECTING DUST!!!THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF!!! SIERRA NEEDS TO GET THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR A$$3$ AND COMMIT SEPUKU FOR NOT COMPLETING THE PORTING PROCESS OF HALF-LIFE FOR MACS!!! THIS IS REALLY A SAD TIME FOR MAC GAMERS...ALL OTHER GAMES PALE IN COMPARISON TO CS...SO DONT TRY TO SAY UT OR QUAKE IS BETTER. IM ASHAMED TO BE A MAC GAMER THESE DAYS I DO ADMIT
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

- Steve Jobs (founder and CEO of Apple, Pixar, NeXT, and hopefully Disney)

Archangel
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2001, 06:10 PM

Poor you.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2001, 06:18 PM

My friend, Caps Lock is a privelege, not a right. Use it wisely in the future.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2001, 06:52 PM

I believe that Sierra sold the rights of Mac half life to another company. I forget which one but if you go to there website, you can find out.

noliv
Senior User
Jan 29, 2001, 09:00 AM

dawaves, I live in a student residence where 400 computers are in a network! Everyday, at ANY time, there's at least 10 students playing CS...
Maximum ping: 70! My happyness is guaranteed

So bad it's not for Mac... I hope that Half-Life 2 will be PC/Mac

Noliv
-noliv

lythari
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2001, 11:12 AM

I doubt that Sierra will make Half-Life 2 a PC/Mac release. The last few times they tried to make something for Mac they got burned. I think that's part of the reason why Half-Life for Mac was cancelled. At best, we can hope that someone will port it to Mac soon after the PC release.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 06:16 PM

Sierra said that there were problems. The Mac version couldn't communicate with the PC version. Do when you want to play online, you can only play other Mac users. BTW, when is Half-Life 2 suppose to come out?

Trevor Covert
Jan 29, 2001, 09:45 PM

Actually, the Mac version of Half-Life DID support cross-platform network play. However, Sierra was going to publish it and they didn't want to handle the extra hassle and cost of supporting the cross-platform play (tech support and other issues). So, they then asked Logicware (the company porting the Mac version) to remove cross-platform networking and just make it Mac-to-Mac. Once that happened, Valve got word and they told Sierra to can the whole project unless the game shipped as a full, solid product. Sierra cut their losses, paid Logicware for their work and told the public that the game would not ship.

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2001, 01:16 AM

"noliv"...WORD! Man I live in a house of PC pussbuckets who play CS 24-7 and I'm stuck trying to fathom just how far up Sierra's a$$, their heads are!!! I mean COME ON!!! ( and strike me down for saying this), but the FPS games for Mac's COMPARED to those of the PC, SUCK A$$ SHAVINGS!!! I got bored of UT so fast!! and Quake 3 runs so sh%TY on my G4 400 (compared to my roommates Athlon 800Mhz), AvP IS STILL NOT OUT, WTF???, and Deus EX...(I wont even go there)...What is going on with Mac FPS's?!?! Man, id give my left nut for CS on Mac's...but then again...Id be like Tom Green then ...
"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste...they just make really third rate products."

austeros
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2001, 11:20 AM

if your that dissastified with your mac, sell the damn thing on ebay. you could easily get enough to build a fast athlon based gaming machine. You will have your counterstrike, but little more. Personally, i would rather keep my mac, and get an xbox (some how that doesnt seem as bad). WE finally got nvidia over here, and when they debute the new chipset we will be able to get a card that can hold its own. it may be worth the wait.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2001, 06:40 PM

"AUSTEROS"...I agree...I actually did sell my MAC on ebay about a month ago and started to use my roomates PC (he's gone for a month) and I have to admit, I HATE WINDOWS!!!! It just doesn't feel right for some reason when I use it...I was also in the process of building a PC when I sold my mac just for gaming, so I bought a PC case, nic card, video card, etc...but then it hit me...WTF am I doing??...be stuck with WindoZe just to play games??...how low could I stoop??...Luckily decided to ditch the idea and sell all the PC components back on eBay and just get the G4 Ti...HA...learned my lesson...

skeedog98
Jan 31, 2001, 12:29 AM

I saw my brother play counter strike for the entire winter break from school, a whole month. I started to get into it, yet could not play in on my Mac. Then I found something even better and I already owned the game. Tactical Ops is the best, looks better than counter strike and it is a free umod for Unreal Tournament. So it runs on Unreal and plays like CounterStrike. So no one can complain about the CounterStrike thing, just play Tactical-Ops .

[This message has been edited by skeedog98 (edited 01-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by skeedog98 (edited 01-30-2001).]

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 01:15 AM

I'd say **** Sierra.

if they do not want to port HL/CS to the mac, then let them go suck lemons, or peecees for that matter...
i really enjoyed HL(pirated version haha, suck **** sierra!), but im not gonna touch that game ever again, or CS either, for the same reason, call it stupid but i dont care. the company's gotta suck if they decide not to go for a Mac version even if they can do it.
but its pretty understandable for dawaves, missing out on the fun his friends have, i'd still say SABOTAGE!

(or maybe im saying all this cause i havent played CS yet... )

Archangel
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 05:25 AM

I didn't like Tac-ops all that much. Seemed kinda clunky. But that's just me.

------------------
"Elvis has left the building!"

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2001, 04:22 PM

"skeedog98"...ARE YOU ON CRACK???!!! TacOPS SuX dog Sh%T!!! It cant compare at all with CS...the connectivity with UT to other UT gamers sux whereas Gamespy for PC's connects to other gamers fluently and without a long LAG period which is the case for UT ethernet interconnectivity...as for graphics I wont even compare the two...(its just that sad!!!)...Realism of character movements and body types and just plain old Gameplay is a JOKE on TacOPS!!! they run like they have something up their A$$e$...Im sorry "skeedog98"...but if you have some version of TacOPS I dont know about that remotely even compares with CS, please tell me...but im still under the impression they only made one version of TacOPS and not a "skeedog98" version...

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 06:54 PM

I have Tac Ops and it is fun but CS is 2,000,000 times better. Has anyone tried CS using Virtual PC since it has low requirements?

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2001, 07:06 PM

"xyber233"...I disagree with you that CS is only 2,000,000x better than TacOPS>>>it's more like 100,000,000,000,000...etc,>>> you get my point. TacOPS doesn't even register in the framework of a "good game"...IT SUX A$$!!! As for Virtual PC, I seriously doubt you could adeqetly frag Terroists with a PC emulator playing CS...ahhahahha....although if someone has tried it, let me know!!!

Archangel
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2001, 08:05 PM

I was going to try and get CS on my G4 via VPC, but I found out that my copy of VPC is so old it doesn't even work anymore. . .so, I gave it up. Oh well. I was thinking it might work though. I remember I got Jedi Knight just barely playable on an old beige G3. I bet it would be possible to get CS to work. Won't be as smooth, but it might work.

------------------
"Elvis has left the building!"

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2001, 09:19 PM

So no one has tried CS on Virtual PC? I'd still play it even if its 16fps

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2001, 01:20 AM

ya and get the Sh%T beaten out of you by some PC nut running Geforce 2 Ultra and 90fps...hahahhahah....did you know there's a clan called "[macsrbad]" for CS...I always square off with those guys on "www.creamery.org"...

it's a sad, sad time for Mac gamers...

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2001, 01:55 AM

dawaves if you really think that game is so great, i am glad i never have had the chance to try it, or i too might once again be tempted by the dark side. i think sierra will come around, osx with native opengl and nvidia are two things that will do wonders for us. i doubt we will ever see cs, but who the hell will care about it when halo comes out? =) hopefully by then we will have a high end nvidia chip, and altavec support. the new motherboards are great improvements too. it will be cool to square off with the pcers then.it may be a sad day today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2001, 03:09 AM

tru dat "austeros"...although I am one to believe that somewhere in the not to distannt future (10 months-1yr) Macs will be up ther with PC's in terms of games available, right now is what pisses me off... it seems that the Mac community only recognizes 2 real good networked FPS's out there (Quake and UT), when in realtiy Counter-Strike is truely the best FPS i've ever played!!!...if you havent played it yet, you are missing out on a (excuse the term) "insanely great" game!!!...I swear on my soon to be G4Ti... I too hope HALO will be as promising as Apple and Bungie proclaim it to be, but I'm still weary about Jobs' tendency to over glorify-everything and would not be surprised if the Mac community gets dissed again as it did with AvP and Half-Life...

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 10:48 PM

Being a University student is so much work...

I mean, there are over 700 students connected to the campus network, three dedicated CS servers, and I still can't play!

I have to use my next door neighbours wintel machine to play CS, and he is just as addicted as I am, so we have to share.

I tried runnig CS using Virtual PC 4.0 on my iMac DV with 192MB RAM, but it was so slow, and jerky, that I had a bullet in my head before I had even seen the shooter.

I am seriously considering investing in a low spec wintel machine, just for CS. It seems stupid that Half-Life (and CS) still haven't been ported to the Mac, even though it is almost defenitly the greatest multiplayer game of all times.

I NEED TO PLAY CS ON MY MAC!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by as2 (edited 02-22-2001).]
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 06:00 AM

DUDE "as2"...hang on a minute.....before you consider taking the

BLUE PILL please consider the ramifications of what you are

saying...Buying a wintel machine will only strengthen the PC market

and thus add to the notion that the best games are on the PC and not

the MAC.....It will give game producers more leverage if you buy into

getting a Wintel machine....I've had an epiphiny since started this

thread and I 've come to realize that CS is not all there is to life....dude

i haven't played CS in like 2 weeks!!!! Either the ha$hi$h im smokin is

gettin to my head or I've realised that CS is teh biggest waste of time

EVER!!!....don't get me wrong, CS is the BEST FPS GAME OUT

THERE...BAR NONE....But "as2" please wait a bit longer ( as I

am).....with the GeForce 3's coming to the MAC FIRST just means the

MAC is GOING to be the best gaming machine out there....let Sierra

pull their heads out from their @$$3$ and repent for what they have

done....they will come through for us in the end with CS 2 for

MACS!!!...you heard it here first.....so "as2"....please reconsider....go

learn JAVA or delve into the UNIX underpinnings of OSX as an

alternative to playing CS....that's what I've been studying instead of

CSing and I feel much better about myself for doing it.....Please take

the RED PILL and understand the TRUTH...."Windows SuX".

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 01:29 PM

look how much you have grown up since you first started this thred, dawaves. its cool. anyways the geforce 3 will allow us to have some hardcore hardware for once, and carmack loves our system, so i would expect to see some pretty impressive things with doom3.

as for halo... halo is going to rule, there is no doubt about it.
-rok

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 06:25 PM

...THX "AUSTEROS"

But seriously....Its beginning to be a new era for mac gamers!!!

albeit we dont have CS, but Sierra will acknowledge their foolish

ways and bring CS 2 to the mac FIRST....Yes that's right<<<YOU

HEARD IT HERE FIRST>>>>

Kudos go to Steve for giving us mac gamers some water to douse

the hot heads of PC gamedom....games will start to be

simultaneously introduced for the MAC and PC as time goes by....

I encourage all MAC gamers to stay TRUE and to NOT GIVE IN to the

hype of the Wintel MONOPOLY!!!!

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2001, 11:17 PM

Is CS all that great? One of my roommate plays it all of the time with a few other friends but I don't think its THAT great. I will admit that if it were available on our platform, I would play it.

Oh yeah, Quake II is the best FPS ever, which is why there should be a Mac OS X version already!!! C'mon Omni, you can do it!
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

noliv
Senior User
Feb 25, 2001, 01:30 PM

Quake II?????

Marathon is the best FPS game!!

noliv
-noliv

Apotheos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2001, 12:18 PM

We play CounterStrike once a week here on campus, and I must say to the doubters - yes, it IS that good. The engine sucks monkey-ass, but the gameplay is super-sweet. It is simply the best tactical FPS there is. It's like Rainbow 6 but good.

I really loathe that Sierra axed Mac Half-Life, especially since other platforms that are easily as obnoxious for Sierra to support have since got the game (Dreamcast, and now Playstation 2).

But as for the typically ridiculous Dark Side rhetoric, if you can fine a bargain Intel box, even a 400mhz Celeron, and stick a Voodoo 3 card in it, you'll have a cheap solution to the CounterStrike blues.

As for those delusional folks that think that this will in any way impact the platform wars, hint: Intel/AMD has boot@##%^ed Motorola/IBM into the ground.

CS Is the Devil
Mar 1, 2001, 11:59 AM

Yes, CS is a very good, very addicting game. Hell, my roommate got a 0.0 GPA last semester because of it. I've found Rogue Spear is a decent alternative. Fun game, just not as fast-paced, but more strategy.

So, the million dollar question(s) is this:
1) When is Half-Life 2 coming out?
2) Is there a Macintosh version rumored or in the works?

Apotheos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 03:56 PM

The problem with Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear is that the engine SUCKS. It's slow and not entirely all that pretty. As well, it lacks the visceral action of CS.

You are in denial, my friend.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2001, 05:11 PM

WHY did valve decide NOT to port HL/CS for the Mac in the first place?? were they too lazy? was there any official word about it? some peecee guys are starting to piss me off with the cs crap.

austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2001, 06:03 PM

sierra axed it, due to the fact ceaser 3 didnt sell well... i think thats the biggest load of crap, since ceaser 3 wasnt anywhere near as good (in my humble opinion) as some of the others like it (ie civ2, smac/smax, etc)

there is a rumored mac version in the works, and i really hope they dont axe it once again. i do however hope that halo whipes the floor with their game =)

bungie still rules

------------------
-rok

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2001, 04:35 PM

I'm hearing that CS 2 will be based on Team Fortress 2. So, that means we need to get off our butts and go over to Sierra's website and bombard them with e-mails to make Team Fortress 2 for the MacOS

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2001, 01:16 AM

RIGHT ON!!!

I did that last week.....

I wrote to Sierra and layed the smack down!!!

EVERYBODY PLEASE DO THE SAME!!!!

Laguna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 11:44 AM

If there's one thing that makes me ashamed of my Mac(s), it's not that we don't get all the best games (of which CS isn't one), but that we get discussions like this, where mac evangelism reaches an all time low, and people start talking of flaming companies who choose not to release a particlar game.

Being able to play CS whenever I like, I've come to the realisation that most of what makes the game is the community itself. Don't believe me? Go play the bot match by yourself. The gameplay just isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be.

Personally, I'm glad it isn't out for our beloved OS, as that spares me the torment of having to play with a plethora of people who throw tantrums when they don't get their own way.

Get over it. Buy a PC if you must.

-Laguna-
Never start a fight, but always finish one

Apotheos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 12:08 PM

I find it much more annoying when Mac users seek to downplay a phenominal game because it never came to the Macintosh.

CounterStrike is one of the best network games of the past decade. What it lacks in engine technology - (don't get me wrong, this think is still leap years ahead of the crap that is the Marathon 2 engine) - it makes up in spades in gameplay.

Considering that CounterStrike doesn't have bots, your criticism is pointless. Criticising user modifications (PODBot, etc.) that extend a game beyond the specifications are not at all fair.

CounterStrike is the one of the few games that really plays of the character of the person behind the controls. There is a very distinct mental element that is not present to such a degree in other first person shooters.

Get a dozen friends together on a LAN, and you will see the magic of CounterStrike.

CS, and Half-Life, easily land near the top of the "games of all time" pile.

Apotheos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 12:10 PM

That is one more thing that should be noted about CounterStrike, the price.

$0

Laguna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 01:22 PM

No, you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that because the third party bots are dire, the game is dire. The point I was making was that without the community of regulars behind it, CS is no different from all the other 'realism' mods out there, namely Tac-ops, Urban Terror, firearms etc.

I agree that it is rather fun on a LAN, but so are most games, and it all depends on who you're playing with, which is why I wouldn't want CS to fall into the hands of most people who have posted on this topic, as they seem to show little in the way of amiablility or understanding of how companies conduct their business.

As for your final comment, CounterStrike is now available in the shops with quite a hefty price tag, i.e seventeen British pounds, which is what, thirty dollars? Quite a steep price for a modification, which incidentally, is bundled with the latest boxed version of Half-Life anyway.

-Laguna-

austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2001, 03:53 PM

hey dawaves do me a favor and post that email address. i am too lazy to go looking for it, but i would love to bombard sierra in anyway i can

long live the mac

------------------
-rok

bombard: send emails from my two email accounts respectivly requesting that they bring their future products to my platform, where i would love to support their developement

[This message has been edited by austeros (edited 03-07-2001).]

Laguna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by austeros:
hey dawaves do me a favor and post that email address. i am too lazy to go looking for it, but i would love to bombard sierra in anyway i can

long live the mac

Utterly pathetic.

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2001, 09:06 PM

"LAGUNA"...thank god your sorry ass is not on the CS network around the globe....CuZ if I ever see you running around with your 500 ping and "attepting" to frag, BoY I will WhooP Ur A$$!!!!

It's idiots like you, who can't trully grasp the concept of CS's gameplay, that take up valuble space on this thread....

Look...if you want to 'frag' it up on Unreal Tourny or Quake, be my guest....But don't go knocking the best game on Earth in this point in time....

Just because you don't have the skills to always be the leader boards of servers like www.creamery.org, www.r-spec.net, www.amateur-hour.net, etc, doesn't mean you have to diss CS.... ( by the way, these servers rule!!!)

So LAguna....that's fine if you don't want to support the porting of the best networked game today, but those that love this game are commited in seeing that Sierra pull its head out of its A$$ and release CS 2 for the Mac....

(i once played CS for 14 hours straight )

Laguna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2001, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by dawaves:
"LAGUNA"...thank god your sorry ass is not on the CS network around the globe....CuZ if I ever see you running around with your 500 ping and "attepting" to frag, BoY I will WhooP Ur A$$!!!!

It's idiots like you, who can't trully grasp the concept of CS's gameplay, that take up valuble space on this thread....
I at no point debated your ability to 'Whoop my A$$', hell I don't even know who you are, but you're seriously telling me your argument conisists of what ping I get? Or what servers I play on?

And no, I don't condone the spamming and pestering of a company to release a game. It justs makes us look bad.

dawaves  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2001, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by Laguna:

And no, I don't condone the spamming and pestering of a company to release a game. It justs makes us look bad.

No it makes us more visable to those who have their heads up their @$$3$!!!!

Laguna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2001, 12:11 PM

If someone can argue or agree with me without resorting to babbling like an idiot, then please do.

austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 12:16 PM

whoa... Laguna it was a figure of speech. I have no intention of bombarding sierra with more then then two emails, one from each of my respective email accounts. all i was doing was trying to express my distaste in a sarcastic way, since i dislike the company.

if 2 emails constitutes "Utterly pathetic." behavior, then i guess i am. go figure

------------------
-rok

and your totally right, spam email wont do any good either... but email from a variety of different users just might. Sierra doesn't seem to think that their is a market here...we look to tell them otherwise

[This message has been edited by austeros (edited 03-07-2001).]

Laguna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2001, 03:10 PM

Yes, that's exactly my point. It's when people start sending death threats and other such filth that we lose all sympathy from the companies and are dismissed as a system not worth making games for.

Apotheos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Laguna:
No, you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that because the third party bots are dire, the game is dire. The point I was making was that without the community of regulars behind it, CS is no different from all the other 'realism' mods out there, namely Tac-ops, Urban Terror, firearms etc.
Which makes it no different from any other multi-player only game. Considering that it is a free add-on to one of the best single player FPS games, you really don't have a point here. This is the same for Firearms. Tactical Ops is decent but has some flaws (I await eagerly the next version), and I've not played Urban Terror.

As for your final comment, CounterStrike is now available in the shops with quite a hefty price tag, i.e seventeen British pounds, which is what, thirty dollars? Quite a steep price for a modification, which incidentally, is bundled with the latest boxed version of Half-Life anyway.
Unless foriegn version differ, Counterstrike is a free add-on for any copy of half-life, or is available in the Half-Life Platinum Edition along with Firearms and some other (otherwise free) multiplayer addons.

You can pay for the convenience of saving yourself the download, but otherwise it is a completely free add-on, but you must own Half-Life first.

Shall we now debate the merits of Half-Life?

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2001, 06:09 PM

Ok, people are just confused. When I suggested writing Sierra e-mails, I meant to write a cordial letter of inquiry into a MacOS version of TF2 and CounterStrike.
EX: "I enjoy your product CounterStrike and would like to be able to play it on my MacOS computer. Does Sierra plan on releasing such a version or having a 3rd party port a version? I would be very eager to purchase this product"

just something to let them know that there is a strong interest among the MacOS community in CounterStrike and that they would make a profit by producing it. The more individuals who e-mail them, the better.

Laguna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by NickKohn:
Ok, people are just confused. When I suggested writing Sierra e-mails, I meant to write a cordial letter of inquiry into a MacOS version of TF2 and CounterStrike.
EX: "I enjoy your product CounterStrike and would like to be able to play it on my MacOS computer. Does Sierra plan on releasing such a version or having a 3rd party port a version? I would be very eager to purchase this product"
Sierra does not make Counterstrike, and would not be involved in the porting of it to the Mac OS, if such a thing were ever to occur.

Forum Links
Forum Rules