Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'

Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist' (Page 2)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
God, I'm so glad I live in the U.S. where we don't have Muslim organizations holding the government hostage. If they had their way, everyone in the U.K. would be forced to convert to their religion, and they would have two separate legal systems in place in order to allow them to perpetuate violent crime among the populace.

American Muslims, on the other hand, are mostly intelligent, educated people that know their rights as citizens or residents of this country, and they do not demand special exceptions from our laws.

And before you conservative wackos start pinning this all on the liberals, know that I'm a big ol' lefty myself. Then again, politics in the U.K. seem to be pretty different (what Americans would call liberals are all limp-wristed pussies over there, moreso than here).
Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ray-Allah.html

You mean "There's not enough of them to even dare to try and impose their will. Yet"
Too late. Give an inch, camels nose under the tent , etc. It will start with marital and family disputes, but that will not be enough. Sharia law is heavily weight against women.

The Lord Chief Justice Lord Phillips backs sharia law in UK
By CLODAGH HARTLEY
Home Affairs Correspondent

Published: 04 Jul 2008

ENGLAND’s top judge sparked fury last night when he insisted that Muslim sharia law COULD play a part in our legal system.

The Lord Chief Justice Lord Phillips said sharia ideas could be used to mediate marital or financial disputes.

His comments were leapt upon by Tories who said his words were “irresponsible, unhelpful and dangerous”. Philip Davies, Conservative MP for Shipley, said: “There is no place in Britain for any law other than British law. Such comments do little to help community cohesion. It is irresponsible to suggest otherwise.”

The Lord Chief Justice — the most senior judge in England and Wales — was speaking at the East London Muslim Centre when he said sharia suffered “widespread misunderstanding”.

His comments come just months after the Archbishop of Canterbury caused widespread controversy by saying that British Muslims could live under sharia law.

And that row will be reignited after Lord Phillips backed Dr Rowan Williams, saying he had been “misunderstood”. The judge said Dr Williams was not being radical when he advocated “embracing sharia law in the context of family disputes”.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 12:22 PM

In many ways, you guys are leading the way into dystopia.

For example, the Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax Act of 2008. Sounds reasonable, no? But hidden in there is a little gem of an exit tax which basically prevents you from giving up your citizenship without paying to do so. Unanimously approved by both houses too. And you thought the US had abolished slavery... No no no - you simply extended it to everyone. You're owned by your government unless you buy your freedom.

Not quite.

This doesn't seem like a good law, but it's nowhere near as sinister as you make it out to be.

With the old law you could renounce your citizenship, sit on your property until the 10-year mark, and then sell it US-tax free. This law tries to close that loophole by making you pay an unrealized gains tax on your property when you split.

Not good, but hardly worth the histrionics.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
God, I'm so glad I live in the U.S. where we don't have Muslim organizations holding the government hostage.
As opposed to the Christian organizations in the U.S.?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 12:28 PM

Boiling the frog

Reported.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Not quite.

This doesn't seem like a good law, but it's nowhere near as sinister as you make it out to be.

With the old law you could renounce your citizenship, sit on your property until the 10-year mark, and then sell it US-tax free. This law tries to close that loophole by making you pay an unrealized gains tax on your property when you split.
IIRC, it makes you pay tax on all unrealised gains on your worldwide holdings. Got a house in the Bahamas that you've had for a few years and you're planning to move into when you expatriate? Bang, you've got to pay tax on it - even though you're not planning on selling it and it's not a US asset.

Yes, this law is a bad one.

Like I said - death by a thousand cuts.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Reported.
What?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 12:43 PM

What?
Obviously you were speaking ill of the French.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Obviously you were speaking ill of the French.
Obviously, yes.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 12:51 PM

Relax, I'm sure he was joking.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 01:38 PM

IIRC, it makes you pay tax on all unrealised gains on your worldwide holdings.

You're right. I had thought this was too whacky and assumed the law would only affect US property, which would be at least sort of makes sense in a "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" kind of way.

But yeah, this is pretty out there.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 08:23 PM

Why would you report an innocuous, commonplace expression like "boiling the frog"?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 10:57 PM

Reported!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 11:22 PM

Why would you report someone for criticizing your reporting habits?

Forum Links
Forum Rules