Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What monitor should I get?

What monitor should I get?
Thread Tools
derbs
Senior User
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2003, 12:04 PM
 
I'm going to get a new monitor when I get my G5 at christmas.

I want a CRT, 19in, flat screen, preferably not beige

Do any fellow CRT users (I know we're in the minority now) want to share their experiences?

Cheers!
     
iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hmm...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2003, 12:20 PM
 
Originally posted by derbs:
Do any fellow CRT users (I know we're in the minority now) want to share their experiences?
The only CRT I use is the one built into my eMac, but my PC (that's Windows, lord knows they're not politically corrrect) friends use Viewsonic 19" flat screen monitors and they really like them. Sony is good, too, and if you're doing graphic design they have some sort of weird looking device to match up the exact Pantone colors.

x.
     
rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: rodeo island
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2003, 01:01 PM
 
An NEC/Mitsubishi Diamondtron SB (super bright) would be my choice.
     
Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2003, 03:37 AM
 
Sony G450, I think it is. Nice screen.
     
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2003, 01:16 PM
 
I second the Mitsubishi recommendation.

LaCie monitors are made by Mitsubishi, so keep them in mind as well.

tooki
     
Footy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2003, 02:39 PM
 
derbs,

Are you a graphic artist that has issues with LCD colors?

I just bought a new monitor and I was totally against getting an LCD. I needed the monitor fast but since most local electronic store now carry only a limited selection of CRTs I looked for and bought an LCD and I'm glad I did.

Not trying to harp on you choice of monitors, was just wondering why your not a fan of LCDs as I was.
     
derbs  (op)
Senior User
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2003, 02:45 PM
 
Hi footy

I do a lot of graphics/web work, and i find colours look totally different between LCDs and CRTs. A colour looks the same from whatever angle on a CRT, which isn't true for an LCD, no matter how LCD manufacturers say otherwise.

Also, i find LCDs blurry when playing movies/games and switching resolutions makes the screen look nasty.

I think CRTs have a richness and cleaness that LCDs can't compete with.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, i'll look at the Mitsubishi monitors when their site goes back up!

http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/coreme...spec=?__uk__en

Hope it's not beige!
     
derbs  (op)
Senior User
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2003, 02:51 PM
 
Originally posted by tooki:
I second the Mitsubishi recommendation.

LaCie monitors are made by Mitsubishi, so keep them in mind as well.

tooki
The LaCie electron looks good

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10037

Seems pretty reasonably priced at $370 as well.

(and it's not beige )
     
Footy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2003, 05:08 PM
 
Originally posted by derbs:
Hi footy

I do a lot of graphics/web work, and i find colours look totally different between LCDs and CRTs. A colour looks the same from whatever angle on a CRT, which isn't true for an LCD, no matter how LCD manufacturers say otherwise.

Also, i find LCDs blurry when playing movies/games and switching resolutions makes the screen look nasty.

I think CRTs have a richness and cleaness that LCDs can't compete with.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, i'll look at the Mitsubishi monitors when their site goes back up!

http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/coreme...spec=?__uk__en

Hope it's not beige!
Understood. I have noticed the color change difference if I'm looking off from the side and I can understand the issues of not running the native resolution of an LCD. Still, I'm very impressed with the clarity of my LCD and games look as crisp as ever.

Good luck with your search.
     
AMDB7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Fantasyland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2003, 02:34 PM
 
i just got a new 19" CRT about a month and a half ago...its an NEC FP912SB-BK, which has a diamondtron tube and comes in a black case. its an incredible monitor, and i echo the statements of others when they recommend a diamondtron. best part was i got it new for $250
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,