Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need feedback on Mini hard drive upgrade options

Need feedback on Mini hard drive upgrade options
Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 05:52 PM

Hi all. I stood in line at the Oakbrook, IL Apple store yesterday in the cold with a bunch of other Mac nuts to be the 3rd guy to snag a mini. (really cool peeps btw). I bought the 40 gig model cause I had every intention of replacing the HD. I cracked the case open with a butter knife (where's the putty knife when ya need it?) & bumped the RAM to 512 MB. I haven't done anything too intense yet but the system is very snappy as is. I have yet to experience any sluggishness that may be attributable to the "slow" drive. I'm planning on getting a 5400 or 7200 RMP drive. I think either would be a nice improvement but I'd rather go with a 7200 unless power or heat will cause problems. Any feedback or direction would be appreciated.

J

roybfr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 06:28 PM

I have seen benchmarks on the Segate 5400 100gig and Hitach 7200 60gig (the is a thread with the links). I was going to pick up a Hitachi 60gig 7200 RPM drive, but I ended up with a 1.42 and the 80gig so I don't really want to give up 20gigs. Segate should be realeasing a 100gig 7200 drive some time in the spring and I will probably go that route. For now I am pretty content, after I upped the RAM the Mini chugs right along.

As for heat the Hitach from what I have read run in line with a 5400 drive so if you go that route it should not be an issue. Will have to wait and see on the Samsung.

mikerally
Senior User
Jan 24, 2005, 06:33 PM

I am interested in the very same thing, and will be watching this topic closely.

I'm very curious to see how 3rd party drives will fare in the Mini.

I'm looking forward to seeing any attempts to put the upcoming Seagate Momentus 2.5inch 7200RPM drive in, if it gets too hot or draws too much power?

Has anybody body tried their own slot-loading Superdrive? e.g. like the 8x DVD�R drives from MCE Tech?

Also definately interested in seeing if those 2GB PC2700 DIMMs which are coming to the market soon, will be supported by the mini (as someone as suggested).

Lastly I hear Apple supplies an all in one aftermarket Bluetooth + Airport Extreme kit, that has to be fitted by an AASP. I wonder if there is anyway to order and fit the kit yourself?

I'm glad there is some sort of long term flexibility in upgrading this computer (even if it voids your warranty).

Shame everything else is soldiered to the motherboard.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 10:24 PM

but my guess is, that is so cheap, thats this could truly be the true disposable computer in terms of like in a few years you pick up the latest mini and keep going, and it wouldnt hit the pocket that much.

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2005, 01:08 PM

After reading the Anandtech mini article, it seems that I have a 5400 RPM drive....nice! Now I have to decide if a 7200 is really worth it.

J

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Thade:
After reading the Anandtech mini article, it seems that I have a 5400 RPM drive....nice! Now I have to decide if a 7200 is really worth it.
Lucky you !

-t

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2005, 03:37 PM

I wonder if the 7200 rpm drives give off any more heat? That could be an issue in such a tight case.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2005, 04:34 PM

Specs on the Hitachi drive are practically identical to the stock drive(s):

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/7k60/7k60.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules