Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > full charge iPod photo dead after 2 days idle

full charge iPod photo dead after 2 days idle
Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 10:28 AM

Is it normal for an iPod to lose all charge from just sitting for 2-3 days? This thing is brand new. It was fully charged when I unplugged it 2 days ago. Tried to turn it on today...nada

TIA

Jeff

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2005, 10:41 AM

I've noticed this lately with both my Gen3 and Gen4 iPods. Even tested it a bit. 1 day idle, all is good. Somewhere between 2 and 3 days idle and the battery is completely drained. Also noticed that system are often also reset to default.

I've only had my Gen4 briefly, but I don't recall my Gen3 doing this until sometime in the last 2 months. Currently suspecting firmware.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 03:21 PM

My 3G does that. I hate it, but what are you gonna do?

On the other hand, my mini sat a week at half charge and didn't lose a bit.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

shanadms
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2005, 04:05 PM

I have just noticed the same problem with my 3G 40-gig ipod. My ipod has gone dead or near dead overnight while plugged into my G4. I know that the ipod will not charge when the computer goes to sleep but this is a new problem for my ipod and It may have something to do with either Tiger 10.4.2 and or iTunes 5.0.1

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 28, 2005, 10:18 PM

Ditto with my 3G 20GB, although it's more like a week.

Annoying how it'll turn off (like, to where it does a full reboot on powerup) even when it's been plugged in the whole time; it doesn't like being idle for a day or two.

tooki

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 06:05 AM

There is nothing that can be done with in regards to this situation unless Apple changes the fundamental design of the iPod. I sold my iPod and replaced it with a Cowon X5L (not saying it is better, just better for me). My player completely shuts off, so I can let it sit a week with barely any battery loss. The trade off is that It takes about 15 seconds to turn on in the morning. It can sleep and then wake up instantly, but at the end of the day I turn it off completely. If iAudio (don't make fun of the name, they were using the "i" before Apple did) can do this, Apple can too, they just choose not to as they feel it would make the design more complicated. I disagree, hence I no longer have an iPod.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2005, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by lamewing
If iAudio (don't make fun of the name, they were using the "i" before Apple did)
You do realize that the whole iProduct frenzy started with the iMac in 1998 -- 2 years before Cowon released their first iAudio player? True, they're not copying the iPod directly, but since Apple was the one to come up with the naming style, your statement is more than a little misleading.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 09:48 AM

What I don't get is why my iPod's battery will last about a week if I use it a little bit each day, but will only last 2-3 days if I'm not using it ...

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 10:39 AM

Yeah..so far it has held the carge for a couple of days without any use. I just turn it on/off every day and so far that seems to be enough to take it out of auto drain mode

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 04:42 PM

If you turn on HOLD and let your iPod sit for a couple of days...the battery will be completely drained. This is a glitch in the design.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 06:00 PM

I turn mine off and it last for a week.

I let it go to sleep by itself, and it'll last about half that.

I was alarmed about this at first. Now, I'm just used to it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jacob
If you turn on HOLD and let your iPod sit for a couple of days...the battery will be completely drained. This is a glitch in the design.
That's an interesting assertion of which I was not aware. I'll have to see if that variable makes a difference. I know my mother's mini can keep a significant charge for weeks, but my old 2G and my 3G do drain over a number of days. At least my 3G seldom discharges completely. I don't have enough experience with 4Gs to make definitive claims, but a two day complete discharge sounds quite unusual.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
You do realize that the whole iProduct frenzy started with the iMac in 1998 -- 2 years before Cowon released their first iAudio player? True, they're not copying the iPod directly, but since Apple was the one to come up with the naming style, your statement is more than a little misleading.
It was not intended to be misleading. I guess I didn't provide enough information to make myself clear. I was referring to the iPod specifically, and yes I am aware of when the iMac first came out as I was the owner of a Bondi Blue 233 iMac while stationed at Fort Lee, VA. Also, there was no iProduct "frenzy" back in 1998. The next i"device" didn't show its head until 2001. Now are you trying to mislead?

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
That's an interesting assertion of which I was not aware. I'll have to see if that variable makes a difference. I know my mother's mini can keep a significant charge for weeks, but my old 2G and my 3G do drain over a number of days. At least my 3G seldom discharges completely. I don't have enough experience with 4Gs to make definitive claims, but a two day complete discharge sounds quite unusual.
The mini has the best battery life due to a new chipset which provides for significantly better performance. This might also account for the mini's longer shelf time. Of course yo would need to compare the 1st gen mini to the 2nd gen mini.

ShyGuy91284
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 06:41 PM

Same problem here. Since I'm at my iBook 90% of the time when I would be able to listen to music, I only use my iPod for a few hours a week, and it's battery drains quite quickly. Too bad there isn't a setting in the firmware to have it shut down completely (maybe after a few hours) instead of when it's half drained when not in use . The lack of a dock by default makes charging it a bit more of a pain since I haven't gotten one yet (lazy).

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 30, 2005, 08:51 AM

I'm not so sure that this happens with all iPods. I left my 60gig photo, (one of the first ones made), for about a month without touching it at all, and it's still about half full. I do notice, however, that when I leave it for a few days, when I use it again it reboots.

Just my 2 pence.

David

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
I'm not so sure that this happens with all iPods. I left my 60gig photo, (one of the first ones made), for about a month without touching it at all, and it's still about half full. I do notice, however, that when I leave it for a few days, when I use it again it reboots.

Just my 2 pence.

David

Probably the newer chipsets in the 4th edition help conserve power. Of course if Apple would just let folks turn their iPod OFF then this wouldn't be a problem.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2005, 02:23 PM

It was not intended to be misleading. I guess I didn't provide enough information to make myself clear. I was referring to the iPod specifically, and yes I am aware of when the iMac first came out as I was the owner of a Bondi Blue 233 iMac while stationed at Fort Lee, VA. Also, there was no iProduct "frenzy" back in 1998.
The "frenzy" of which I speak is the rash of other products (from companies other than Apple) that used the "i" prefix, and the iAudio was one of them. Kind of like how there were suddenly lots of Bondi blue products available right after the iMac appeared, or how everything was in a rainbow of colors after Apple started making them available in other colors.

The next i"device" didn't show its head until 2001. Now are you trying to mislead?
Hmm. Never heard of the iBook then? (Released July 1999)

Or what about things like "iTools"? (Released January 2000)

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 04:11 PM

The "frenzy" of which I speak is the rash of other products (from companies other than Apple) that used the "i" prefix, and the iAudio was one of them. Kind of like how there were suddenly lots of Bondi blue products available right after the iMac appeared, or how everything was in a rainbow of colors after Apple started making them available in other colors.

Hmm. Never heard of the iBook then? (Released July 1999)

Or what about things like "iTools"? (Released January 2000)
It is obvious I didn't include the iBook since it was a computer and not a "device". Please leave the sarcasm nonsense at home. As was the case with the iMac Bondi Blue 233Mhz which I bought in the fall of 1998, I also bought a keylime 466SE ibook and a graphite of the same iteration, so to answer your question, yes, I have heard of it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2005, 04:14 PM

Ah, computers aren't devices. Thanks for that nugget of information.

Why then did you say "the next i"device" didn't show its head until 2001"? It sure sounded like you were saying that the next iProduct after the iMac didn't show up until 2001.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 06:07 PM

Ah, computers aren't devices. Thanks for that nugget of information.

Why then did you say "the next i"device" didn't show its head until 2001"? It sure sounded like you were saying that the next iProduct after the iMac didn't show up until 2001.
Grow up and stop the sarcasm and playing semantics games. You know exactly what I was saying.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2005, 06:12 PM

Yes, blame someone else for your own impreciseness of expression.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 08:33 AM

Yes, blame someone else for your own impreciseness of expression.
My impreciseness of expression is, in this case, verifiable; and purely my error. Nonetheless, it doesn't invalidate my statement that you are acting in a sarcastic manner and playing with semantics. As I said, drop the sarcasm, it does nothing for a discussion except make you look rather childish. Do you act like this in person? Or do you like to use the anonymity of a forum so that you can act in ways that you wouldn't dare in person? Either way it is rather "tiresome"

JimC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 09:39 AM

In spite of your excursion into the i-ness of product - the battery business got me interested enough to collect tips, help, FAQ and organize it so it makes some sense. Find Battery Help here and then follow links and there is more. Things like how often to recharge, how to increase play time between charges, how to tell if your battery does need replacing and then I located about 10 companies that do replacement - Apple too. No I have nothing to do with those companies. Apple even has a test to help determine if your battery is a goner - a typical battery will last a couple of years under normal use before needing replacement. BTW, those companies will replace your battery for you or sell you a kit for you do-it-yourself types.

Hope that helps.

BTW, Steve even used iCEO for awhile. Who ever heard of iAudio anyway?
Jim
DigitalMania-Online
publishers of
Pod Mania - the iPod authority

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2005, 08:30 PM

My impreciseness of expression is, in this case, verifiable; and purely my error. Nonetheless, it doesn't invalidate my statement that you are acting in a sarcastic manner and playing with semantics. As I said, drop the sarcasm, it does nothing for a discussion except make you look rather childish. Do you act like this in person? Or do you like to use the anonymity of a forum so that you can act in ways that you wouldn't dare in person? Either way it is rather "tiresome"
You may want to reread some of your own posts. I was merely responding to the tone that I perceived there. However, text being what it is, it's entirely possible that I misinterpreted your intent. In any case, I didn't really mean to come off overly antagonistic.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 09:01 PM

Back on topic... Sort of.

Meanwhile, my iPod shuffle sits in the my car's glovebox for a month, then fires up with no problem. Press the l'il battery check button on the back and it's still green. Here's to hoping present and future flash-based iPods have similar battery performance.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JimC
In spite of your excursion into the i-ness of product - the battery business got me interested enough to collect tips, help, FAQ and organize it so it makes some sense. Find Battery Help here and then follow links and there is more. Things like how often to recharge, how to increase play time between charges, how to tell if your battery does need replacing and then I located about 10 companies that do replacement - Apple too. No I have nothing to do with those companies. Apple even has a test to help determine if your battery is a goner - a typical battery will last a couple of years under normal use before needing replacement. BTW, those companies will replace your battery for you or sell you a kit for you do-it-yourself types.

Hope that helps.

BTW, Steve even used iCEO for awhile. Who ever heard of iAudio anyway?
Thanks for the battery info. The batteries in the iPod should last more than 2 years. When we say the battery is dead do we mean it won't hold a charge, or only holds say 2/3 of a charge? The original 5gb iPod's battery was expected to go 500 charges before degredation occured; and that was only a drop to 80% off original value. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

In regards to your question as to who has even heard of iAudio. The parent company is Cowon, Inc. of South Korea. Cowon and iAudio are actually VERY well known in that part of the world. I am afraid say that are own ethnocentricity often affects our view of things. There is MUCH going on outside the borders of our very young country.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
Back on topic... Sort of.

Meanwhile, my iPod shuffle sits in the my car's glovebox for a month, then fires up with no problem. Press the l'il battery check button on the back and it's still green. Here's to hoping present and future flash-based iPods have similar battery performance.
The iPod shuffle actually has a full OFF switch, unlike the other iPods. The longer shelf life isn't necessarily inherent to flash players themselves. I do wish Apple would simply give folks the choice to turn it off at the end of the day. It would really cut back on the number of folks with issues of battery drain when the ipod is "off"

In regards to the 1st and 2nd gen iPods. Neither generation had a built-in clock IC on the logic board and therefore the clock was run in software. When the clock was first introduced into those models, the battery shelf life dropped. I think they fixed the problem with better software in the latter software updates as, correct me if I am wrong, the 3rd and 4th don't have a time keeping IC either.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 09:32 PM

You may want to reread some of your own posts. I was merely responding to the tone that I perceived there. However, text being what it is, it's entirely possible that I misinterpreted your intent. In any case, I didn't really mean to come off overly antagonistic.
Dude, it doesn't matter. You win. I give. You get the last words.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2005, 09:19 AM

This thread got lame. I don't quite understand why the thread got derailed - who knew this would be such a contentious topic?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 08:04 PM

edited by poster

kd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
I've noticed this lately with both my Gen3 and Gen4 iPods. Even tested it a bit. 1 day idle, all is good. Somewhere between 2 and 3 days idle and the battery is completely drained. Also noticed that system are often also reset to default.
I had the same problem until I found the following tip: set an alarm on your iPod to go off once a day in the middle of the night. (I have mine set to play a "silent" sound, because I don't want it to wake me up.) The iPod will wake up to play the alarm, then go back to sleep in a minute or so. Simply doing this is enough to prevent the phenomenon that you describe.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2005, 10:16 PM

My 4th Gen iPod (40GB) will have a dead battery after a day or two of sitting idle. Drives me absolutely nuts. Of course at the moment it's completely broken, but once I get it repaired, it will continue to drive me nuts.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
Meanwhile, my iPod shuffle sits in the my car's glovebox for a month, then fires up with no problem.
This is precisely why I am now the happy owner of a 1 GB Shuffle.

A music player that I have to charge for 4 hours on Monday, only to find that it's dead by Thursday when I want to use it, is not a music player than I can use. I like the iPods, but damn, Apple, why can't you make one that will stay charged as well as other Li-ion battery based devices do?

From the Wikipedia:
One great advantage of Li-Ion batteries is their low self-discharge rate of only approximately 5% per month, compared with over 30% per month and 20% per month in nickel metal hydride batteries and nickel cadmium batteries respectively.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

ShyGuy91284
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 12:01 PM

Would a petition to allow the users to be able to shut the iPod down completely be worth doing, or would Apple just ignore it no matter how many signatures? From what I have learned about Apple, they might not be as responsive to "petty" problems unless they make the big news. This is really pissing me off though. I don't use it much. I wanted to listen to music over a long drive and didn't think to charge it before hand. Yeah, it was dead, shut down, right where the battery was drained almost all the way (wish it would have shut down earlier....) iBook connects to a server w/ my music on it, so that wasn't an option, and I forgot the charging cable so I couldn't charge the iPod as I drove. :-(

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by kd
I had the same problem until I found the following tip: set an alarm on your iPod to go off once a day in the middle of the night. (I have mine set to play a "silent" sound, because I don't want it to wake me up.) The iPod will wake up to play the alarm, then go back to sleep in a minute or so. Simply doing this is enough to prevent the phenomenon that you describe.
Wacky; I'll have to try it. I have found that my iPod exhibits the phenomenon in question, which bugs me because I'm usually working through very large playlists that take weeks or months. Every time it drains and resets it drives me nuts.

I'm still not sure I understand exactly what "mode" the iPod has to be in to drain, or why the alarm trick would make a difference....

crazydiamond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 02:39 AM

do you have it on hold?? apparently that wastes battery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules