Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport and Cable Modem

Airport and Cable Modem
Robe
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2003, 04:52 PM

Hello All - I need some help. I have my cable modem connected to my Beige ABS. My powerbook and all my airport networked computers can connect to the internet via airport. Here is the problem: When I take my ABS and TiBook to my Dad's house I can't connect to the internet - I can connect to the ABS but the ABS does not seem to make a connection to the net - Incidentally, If I plug my Dad's cable modem directly into my Tibook it DOES connect to the internet, so the problem is in the ABS connection I assume? I just brought the ABS and TiBook back home and it connects to the net fine - can anyone shed some light on this?

(I am thinking that the ABS needs an updated IP address (or some such thing) from the cable modem/provider and if I let the setup "sit there" for some time it would work?)

Thanks for any help -
Robe

Robe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2003, 04:55 PM

Anyone have any ideas here? I tried again today - in a nutshell: Tibook and ABS work to connect to internet via cable modem at my house; the same setup DOES NOT work at my dad's. We have the same cable modem and provider.

Any Ideas?

Robe

fhoubi
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 05:14 PM

Come on GUYS! Someone could give Robe a helping hand. For me, it does not make sense...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2003, 05:51 PM

Most, if not all cable ISPs authenticate their users by checking the hardware address (the Media Access Control or MAC address) of the network device connected to them. Some of these ISPs make a point of excluding AirPort devices (which share a range of MAC addresses) from connecting. They also allow a certain number of MAC addresses to connect, but limit that number. Unless you and your dad have the same model modem, they may be blocking your ABS at your dad's house, but not at your house.

Solutions: spend about $40-$60 and buy a gateway router for your dad. This would go between his modem and his computer, and when you show up, you just plug your ABS into it as well. EVERY computer is behind the router, so the ISP sees only the router, and doesn't have a say in what else is connected. Further, most gateway routers allow you to "clone" the MAC address of a computer, so the router masquerades as, let's say your dad'd computer. Alternative: more expensive and complicated, but simpler once it's set up-buy a wireless gateway router. With that, you won't even have to cart your ABS with you when you visit. Second alternative: Go with the wired gateway router, and don't bother with the ABS. Just plug into one of the (usually 4) wired ports in the router.

Helpful?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Robe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 07:43 PM

Yes - very helpful - I will try this setup tomorrow!!! Btw, it is the same cable provider between me and my dad's house.

Originally posted by GHPorter:
Most, if not all cable ISPs authenticate their users by checking the hardware address (the Media Access Control or MAC address) of the network device connected to them. Some of these ISPs make a point of excluding AirPort devices (which share a range of MAC addresses) from connecting. They also allow a certain number of MAC addresses to connect, but limit that number. Unless you and your dad have the same model modem, they may be blocking your ABS at your dad's house, but not at your house.

Solutions: spend about $40-$60 and buy a gateway router for your dad. This would go between his modem and his computer, and when you show up, you just plug your ABS into it as well. EVERY computer is behind the router, so the ISP sees only the router, and doesn't have a say in what else is connected. Further, most gateway routers allow you to "clone" the MAC address of a computer, so the router masquerades as, let's say your dad'd computer. Alternative: more expensive and complicated, but simpler once it's set up-buy a wireless gateway router. With that, you won't even have to cart your ABS with you when you visit. Second alternative: Go with the wired gateway router, and don't bother with the ABS. Just plug into one of the (usually 4) wired ports in the router.

Helpful?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2003, 09:18 PM

Cable providers don't always use the same equipment for each subscriber's installation. They also sometimes try to get all the "performance" they can out of a modem, including locking out anything that may mean more traffic, such as a wireless device.

I have a jaundiced view of cable in general, as the cable monopoly where I live is a)way behind the curve in user friendliness, both with equipment and at the corporate level, b)a rate hike junkie, c)not "in step with the community" in that they pander but don't serve {you should see what passes for "basic cable" here!} and d)acts like there is no alternative-I've had satellite for years, and get better programming selection with better customer service at a much lower price. Plus I'm using DSL, which may be a tad slower than some cable services, but keeps me from needing to deal with the local cable company.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

merlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2003, 03:10 AM

I wonder if it has anything to do with your cable ISP assigning a lease to the IP your computers get assigned. If your ISP is assigning IPs via DHCP, sometimes a lease gets attached to try to match an IP with a particular network card's hardware address.

Did the ABS even grab an IP when you tried it?

If the lease hasn't expired or is not released for some reason, this might explain why the ABS wasn't able to get an IP. Though I don't know how to explain why it worked when you hooked up your Tibook.

I don't know if ABS supports MAC address cloning, but if it does you could try entering the MAC addresses of either your Tibook or you dad's computer into the ABS settings to see if that makes any difference.

If you didn't know, you can find your MAC address in OSX in the network preferences panel. It will be called "Ethernet Address"
This space intentionally left blank...

Forum Links
Forum Rules