Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iCE Book (600 MHz) DVD player problems

iCE Book (600 MHz) DVD player problems
Pele2048
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 04:02 PM

I recently bought a 600 Mhz iBook and I am having problems with the DVD player. I originally thought it was software related, but a fresh load of either os 9.2.1 or 10.2.0 has the same problem...

My problem is that I can not see any DVD video on the internal LCD screen. I went out and bought an A/V cable and I can see it on my TV, but I would like to be able to use this machine as a portable DVD player.

Prior to purchasing the A/V cable, the technician at the "Genius Bar" at my local Apple Store told me I needed a new DVD drive.

I'm no Mac expert (Born and raised on DOS and later Windows... Now learning Unix.) but that sounds like a load of ...

Pertinant info:
Ice Book (Solid white iBook) G3 600Mhz
iBook ver. 31.11 ; Boot ROM 4.3.2f1 ;
256 MB Ram, 20 GB Hard Drive, CD-RW/DVD drive.

OS/X (10.2.0 updates to 10.2.5) Classic Mode (OS 9.2.1)

Anything else y'all need to know, please don't hesitate to ask. Since this is a second hand book, I'm not sure what hacks have been done to it, or how to tell if any have been done, but it's a RageM3 I believe, and the hacks that I've seen dont work with it, only the Radeon.

Also, can anyone point me towards and region free hacks? I travel a bit and also have a collection of Region 2 DVD's from Japan. (Anime )

ibook_steve
Jun 11, 2003, 05:51 PM

Without any dongles or the TV connected to the iBook, look at the Displays menu in the menubar or at the Displays preferences (this is obviously in OS X). It shouldn't show anything other than your internal LCD with options of 800x600, 1024x768, and thousands or millions of colors. If you for some reason see another monitor listed, that would explain your problem. Your machine's hotplug detect could be messed up and it could be thinking that you always have an external display attached. In this case, the DVD would only play on the external display because DVD's are not permitted to be played on more than one monitor, and it would normally go to the external one. If this is the case, your main logic board is damaged and you'd have to get that fixed. This is rare, but I have seen it.

Steve

randomdef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 06:53 PM

but i've had this problem before, all i required was a reboot and it was back up and running (the AV port was hooked up to a stereo so the ibook got confused and thought it should be putting the video out. reboot cleared that up)

mattsliva
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2003, 10:13 PM

i used to hook my ibook up to my vcr as a dvd player. due to copywrite issues.. i couldn't plug the a/v wires into the back of the vcr. instead i had to plug them into a the front of it. your dvd player and vcr/tv will talk to each other and basically say your whole intention is to copy the dvd. make sure you have a front a/v vcr and hook it up that way.

that problem drove me bonkers for a while.

Pele2048  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 11:44 PM

I've tried powering it up with no A/V cable attached. It did nothing... There is no indication of a 2nd monitor connected and no option to turn video mirroring off. I'm at a loss as to how to solve this problem...

Also, on another Mac forum, they weren't pleased by my request for Region Hacks. Although I believe I have a legitimate use for such circumvention, I will retract my request at the request of a moderator. I don't mean any harm or disrespect regarding such matters.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Pele2048:
I've tried powering it up with no A/V cable attached. It did nothing... There is no indication of a 2nd monitor connected and no option to turn video mirroring off. I'm at a loss as to how to solve this problem...

Also, on another Mac forum, they weren't pleased by my request for Region Hacks. Although I believe I have a legitimate use for such circumvention, I will retract my request at the request of a moderator. I don't mean any harm or disrespect regarding such matters.

Try there

villa

Forum Links
Forum Rules