Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > My PowerBook 17 won't go wireless

My PowerBook 17 won't go wireless
dallaspowerbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2003, 11:43 PM

Hey all - thanks in advance for any help with this:

I have a Linksys 2.4G wirelss router with a 4-port switch (802.11b) and I used it with great speed and dependability with my PowerBook 15 and my company issued Dell Lattitude (with a card in it).

Now I buy my PowerBook 17 and I cannot get the wireless functionality on it like i had on the 15. The Dell still works fine, but the new PowerBook 17 is so slow! I hardwire my ethernet cable and boom! it's fixed. I would really like to run both. Is it the Airport Extreme card and the fact that it's 802.11g that's the problem?

Thanks!

-Steve

dallaspowerbook  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2003, 11:48 PM

I almost forgot to say that I was at Starbucks the other day and it worked just fine. I didn't have a T-Mobile card/account so I guess I was piggy-backing off of someone else's environment. But it was working, just not in my home wireless network. Could it be in the configuration?

Thanks!

-Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2003, 09:41 AM

It sounds like there's some configuration problem with your AirPort card. What are the settings in your Admin Utility? And did you get connected at Starbucks before trying it at home or after? It makes a difference-the settings you did at Starbucks could be keeping you from seeing your home network with the AirPort card, but not the built in ethernet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dallaspowerbook  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2003, 05:04 PM

I got connected automatically at Starbucks AFTER I set it up at home. I do remember not having the correct info (ISP, etc) when I took it out of the box and it was asking me set up questions. Where would I look for my admin utility?

-Steve

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jun 18, 2003, 05:12 PM

Mine is in Applications/Utilities

good luck.

djjava
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by dallaspowerbook:
I almost forgot to say that I was at Starbucks the other day and it worked just fine. I didn't have a T-Mobile card/account so I guess I was piggy-backing off of someone else's environment. But it was working, just not in my home wireless network. Could it be in the configuration?

Thanks!

-Steve
hey, kick ass.... i gotta try this...
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 09:33 PM

Umm, you don't need a T-Mobile GSM card to use wireless at Starbucks.

T-Mobile's wireless hotspots (such as at Starbucks) are 802.11b.

You weren't piggybacking off someone else, you were using the T-Mobile hotspot.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2003, 06:39 PM

I haven't played at a Starbucks yet, but I did read the handout they have-ya gotta do something while you're waiting for your Frappacino!

Anyway, these systems are supposed to have you sign up and provide a bit of information before you get your free 24 hours of service (counting, inclusively, from the minute you actually connect for your free time). It sounds like the poster found a Starbucks that's not properly configured... Hmmmmm.

Hey, dallaspowerbook, which Starbucks was that, where you connected without signing up? Inquiring minds want to know...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Robe
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 06:15 AM

That is interesting! I get connectivity at starbucks, butt needed a T'Mobile acct. My web browser was automatically directed to the t-mobile log in page. How did you get free access!!!!

Originally posted by GHPorter:
I haven't played at a Starbucks yet, but I did read the handout they have-ya gotta do something while you're waiting for your Frappacino!

Anyway, these systems are supposed to have you sign up and provide a bit of information before you get your free 24 hours of service (counting, inclusively, from the minute you actually connect for your free time). It sounds like the poster found a Starbucks that's not properly configured... Hmmmmm.

Hey, dallaspowerbook, which Starbucks was that, where you connected without signing up? Inquiring minds want to know...

dallaspowerbook  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2003, 11:29 PM

...Starbucks in the West Village on Cole Ave.

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules