Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screw the 15" AlBook!

Screw the 15" AlBook!
y2kerr
Sep 15, 2003, 06:34 PM

Now that's a headline that's bound to get some attention

I'm just kidding around, of course, but since I'm sitting here typing away on my brand new TiBook, I don't have to agonize over the AlBook release date anymore. Free at last, free at last!

It'll be a bit disappointing if new AlBooks are released tomorrow -- usually there's at least a few weeks or months involved before my newest piece of computer hardware is surpassed by the next generation! -- but since I'm moving to Japan in a week there was no more time to wait.

My initial impression with the hardware is good. It's bigger than I thought it would be. I've never seen a 15 PB in person. The Apple resellers in Toronto haven't had a display model out for perusal since I started looking at buying a Mac, so all I've seen is the 12" AlBook and the 12" and 14" iBooks. They're nice, but screen real estate was a worry. Now that I'm sitting in front of it, though, I'm quit satisfied with the size. I don't think I could handle the 17" AlBook -- it must be a monster! There's also the little things like the simplicity of the design, the pulsating sleep light, the amber/green power light, etc, which are pretty cool.

i haven't had much time to mess around with OS X yet. I've managed to connect to the net via my LinkSys wireless router without any pain, so that was a relief. Now I just have to figure out how to get my WinXP beige box to talk to the TiBook so I can transfer all my files over and I'll be all set. (My networking skills are limited. All three computers in my house are sharing the same router to connect to the net, but none of them can see the other two computers. This will probably be a bit frustrating).

The trackpad's a less than ideal way of moving the mouse pointer around, but I expected as much. I think a trip to BestBuy may be required after dinner to pick up a mouse. And maybe an iPod while I'm at it.

Oh, and I've got a question: Is it okay to pull the power plug out while the battery is charging? I want to test out the AirPort reception in various rooms of the house. Can I just pick up the PowerBook and go to another room?

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who's answered my many questions over the last few months. I'm sure I'll have plenty more in the coming months as I learn the ins and outs of using a Mac and continue this migration from the world of Windows. Thanks everyone!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 06:40 PM

CONGRATS! And yep, feel free to unplug while charging and move about the house
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2003, 06:41 PM

Heh, I've been using my GHz TiBook for almost 10 months now.

The easiest way to connect to your XP box is to share the directories in XP, and then access them thru the network via SMB on the Mac.

I like the trackpad much better than the eraser thingy.

It's OK to pull the plug while the thing is charging. In fact while it's sleeping it's even OK to change the battery (if you have a second one that is). Seriously. There's extra stored juice that keeps the memory active while the battery is removed (for a couple of minutes).

I use my TiBook all over the house.

The iPod rules. Get one, and use it both for MP3, for your contacts, for your calendar, and for a backup data drive. That's what I do. And I can even access the data from my PC, because I've installed MacDrive on the PC.

Robe
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
The easiest way to connect to your XP box is to share the directories in XP, and then access them thru the network via SMB on the Mac.
Any easy explanation on how to do this? I would love to get this working!

hibbacross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 08:14 PM

Lets see if I can remember since Dont have my xp box sitting next to me.

1.Risht Click on the Folder you want to share. There is a shareing thing in there. Click allow drive to be seen on network.

2. Go to your mac. press cmd-k type in you xp boxes ip address, if it does not already find it, it then should pop up asking you which folder you would like to mount. If that does not work put in your ip like 192.xxx.x.x/yourfolder and that foler should mont. Sorry if these are very vague as I am doing them from memory.
Garrett

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by y2kerr:
I don't have to agonize over the AlBook release date anymore. Free at last, free at last!
It'll be a bit disappointing if new AlBooks are released tomorrow --

Well, your next big decision will be to decide if you are going to return the TI after tomorrows news. Hope you got it from a place with a good return policy.

y2kerr  (op)
Sep 15, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by hibbacross:

1.Risht Click on the Folder you want to share. There is a shareing thing in there. Click allow drive to be seen on network.

2. Go to your mac. press cmd-k type in you xp boxes ip address, if it does not already find it, it then should pop up asking you which folder you would like to mount. If that does not work put in your ip like 192.xxx.x.x/yourfolder and that foler should mont. Sorry if these are very vague as I am doing them from memory.
Wow, that was easy. Even easier than trying to do it on my dad's Win2K box. Ha!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by hibbacross:

Then reboot after kernel panic. Yes, that happens frequently.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 11:53 PM

Oh, I'm sure you will be jumping up and down with joy comes tomorrow.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 15, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Strangely enough I have not had even 1 kernel panic in the past year doing this, and I do this about twice a day or more.

y2kerr  (op)
Sep 16, 2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Do you mean I'll have problems because I'm connected to a Windows box? Because I've been having serious problems with Finder freezing up on me.

y2kerr  (op)
Sep 16, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by y2kerr:
Do you mean I'll have problems because I'm connected to a Windows box? Because I've been having serious problems with Finder freezing up on me.
One other thing: Is there a way to solve this problem? Because I've got about 50 gigs of data to transfer from that Windows box to my TiBook. If Finder freezes up frequently and I have to begin transferring files again, it's not going to be a fun process.

Forum Links
Forum Rules