Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Peak vs Deck

Peak vs Deck
Robe
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 05:22 PM

I need a decent audio recording solution - mostly for home recording of demos of acoustic music - trumpet, piano, drums etc... I see that Deck and Peak are very similar and priced the same. Does anyone have any insight on how they differ? I think Deck is the one I will choose.

Also, I have used Metro in the past and I used to have reverb and other effects - how do I access these in Deck (or Peak)?

Thanks - and if this is basic, newbie stuff it is because I am!

Robe

jimi5150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:38 PM

Peak is a two track (stereo or split mono) editor and Deck is a multi track editor. Obviously, for simple stuff, Peak works pretty good. Deck has the more professional tools for editing, multi track recording amd mixing. IMHO, a good alternative to ProTools.

jimi

Robe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the reply, I am still learning! Quick question, if Deck is better, why the same price?

I ended up getting Deck LE 3.5 and like it so far - I still can't get the plug in's to work - any ideas ?

Thanks again,

Robe

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by Robe:
Thanks for the reply, I am still learning! Quick question, if Deck is better, why the same price?

I ended up getting Deck LE 3.5 and like it so far - I still can't get the plug in's to work - any ideas ?

Thanks again,

Robe
Deck is not necessarily better. They really are different purposes. Peak is a very complicated stereo editor, used for things like sample editing, mastering for CD, editing and sweetening 2 track audio for video, etc.

Deck is a multitrack harddisk recorder. Where you would record and mix 4, 8, 12 whatever tracks together, or record 4 or more tracks at the same time. There are some similarities in the editing and sound processing areas between the two. But they are meant for different purposes.

Example, I use Logic as my multitrack software (2+ tracks) however, I use Peak to edit samples I record before I bring them to Logic.

When I'm done in logic, sometimes I'll mixdown to a stereo file, and sweeten the finished mix in Peak. I also use Peak to build and master CDs, albeit I've only just started doing this.

Edit: Do you get an error saying these plugins are for OS 9 only or something similar? If so, then go to www.mda-vst.com to downlad OS X compatible plugs. There are also other places to look at additional plugs, www.kvr-vst.com for one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules