Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Installing Palm Apps and Pather (please help)

Installing Palm Apps and Pather (please help)
Robe
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 06:42 PM

I am surprised that I have not seen this - or scared that it is only my system!

Panther 10.3.1

Anyway - If I try and reinstall a Palm App - like Palm Desktop or Docs to go, or even install an App - like Filemaker Moblile, I get an error EACH TIME - it is about permissions and writing to certain folders. Can anyone reproduce this or has anyone heard of this. Please help - Palm's response was a generic "fix permissions", and obviously I already did that. This is getting frustrating - I want to start sing my Palm again!

Thanks - Robe

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 08:20 PM

This is a known issue. Most people can correct it by installing it as root user. If you don't want to venture into Unix, you can use a shareware program called Psuedo to open the Installer as root for you. All you'll have to do is enter your password when prompted.

Pseudo:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/pseudo.html

Psuedo is shareware, but there are no restrictions to the unregistered version.

Robe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
This is a known issue. Most people can correct it by installing it as root user. If you don't want to venture into Unix, you can use a shareware program called Psuedo to open the Installer as root for you. All you'll have to do is enter your password when prompted.

Pseudo:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/pseudo.html

Psuedo is shareware, but there are no restrictions to the unregistered version.
Thank you very much for pointing this out - I knew that it must be a known issue and not just my computer, but I could find no info on this. What an excellent forum!!!!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Robe:
Thank you very much for pointing this out - I knew that it must be a known issue and not just my computer, but I could find no info on this. What an excellent forum!!!!
Indeed, Palm's response to the issue has been lackluster to say the least.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 02:10 AM

I've been unable to reinstall Palm Desktop on my machine as well. I just downloaded Pseudo, and it let me install about 3/4 of the Desktop installer, and then gives me a message saying that it can't complete installation of Palm Desktop because of a system error, and access is denied!

I've e-mailed Palm about this on several occasion, and they're response is the same each time; fix permissions. Damn them!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
I've been unable to reinstall Palm Desktop on my machine as well. I just downloaded Pseudo, and it let me install about 3/4 of the Desktop installer, and then gives me a message saying that it can't complete installation of Palm Desktop because of a system error, and access is denied!

I've e-mailed Palm about this on several occasion, and they're response is the same each time; fix permissions. Damn them!
I think I got that message at the very end of the installation, but everything still worked. Did you try to run Palm Desktop regardless?

Robe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2003, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:

Luckily, it worked for me - anyway, I got this response form Palm this morning - after many contacts to them! It may work for you:

Robert, please note that the Palm Desktop software versions available
are not qualified for use with Mac OS 10.2.6 and higher versions. At
this time, palmOne, Inc. is actively investigating this issue. I
realize your concern due to the issue and would really like to provide
you with an estimated release date of release of the update. However,
please note that our Palm Technicians are currently working on this
update and still a series of performance tests have to be conducted on
this update so that once this update is released, there are no more
synchronization issues to be faced by our esteemed customers like you.

Till palmOne, Inc. does not come up with an appropriate software or a
patch for the Mac OS 10.2.6 and higher, please visit the link given
below to try some work around:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@@.599b7059/10

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 12:57 PM

I got it to work! Yea!

I repaired permissions again, and all of sudden it installed Palm Desktop completely, and I recovered all my previous contacts and memos!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

hart
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 06:12 AM

hauling old thread to the top here.

I'm finally going to upgrade my main computer to panther and using my Palm device seems to be the main possible glitch.

How's it going for all you palm/panther users? Hot sync working? Any warnings or tips about what to do when I install? I found this in macfixit's Panther special report and it seems ominous:

"Joshua Ochs reports a workaround for problems using HotSync, which are apparently the root of the incompatibility statement from Palm.

""It appears that the Palm Desktop installer is choking on installing the HotSync libraries. It further appears these can be copied over from Jaguar (or, if you're upgrading, then they'll already be in place). The critical files are in /Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync and /Library/CFMSupport/Hotsync Libraries.

"I have not verified that a Hotsync will actually take place (as I have not finished upgrading), but this does resolve the problem of Hotsync Manager and others not launching with shared library errors.

Some readers have reported no problems running HotSync from a fresh installation of the Palm Desktop 4.1 software. "

Any info appreciated. thanks.

hart
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 06:51 AM

ok, I'll answer my own question.

I downloaded the latest palm desktop, 4.2.1 and installed it, a bit precipitously. I repaired permissions, repaired disk using Disk Utility, unplugged all my firewire peripherals and plunged into an Archive and Install for 10.3. Then I ran Software Update and installed all updates offered to me. Then I repaired permissions again and restarted.

Upon restart I got the usual message that means Palm Desktop ain't gonna sync. (somewhere way down in this forum is my post which I refer to every time I need to reinstall Palm Desktop which is every 2 or 3 months) I trashed Palm Desktop and hotsync and reinstalled from the .sit file for Palm Desktop 4.2.1 which I had saved in anticipation of just this moment. Repaired permissions, restarted again and now have successfully hotsynced.

So MY experience seems to be that Palm Desktop 4.2.1 with appropriate reinstalling and frequent repairing of permissions is working with 10.3.3. This may be old news to a lot of you but anyway.

Incidentally, I am definitely not please with my Tungsten T after about 1 year of use. I have to repeatedly reinstall Palm Desktop, the digitizer has to be recalibrated every time I turn it on with great difficulty because I can't CHOOSE digitizer with a wildly miscalibrated screen. It's not impressive to whip out your PDA and spend 5 minutes swearing at it trying to get it calibrated before you can write someone's phone number. And this is after applying the update that was supposed to fix digitizer issues. handwriting recognition is just OK. It just doesn't have an ease of use which I expect. Next time I'll definitely consider another brand which I would dearly love to be an iPodPDA from Apple. I can dream. my $0.02 (I can never remember the keys for cents sign)

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 05:58 PM

hart

interesting thread here. I'm struggling with a Zire31 and 10.3.4 on a G5. It appears that the installer craps out but doesn't report any problems to the user. Will try to repair permissions and reinstall next.

-gfitzy

Forum Links
Forum Rules