Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Set hidden background image in disk image

Set hidden background image in disk image
Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 11:04 PM

Since upgrading to Mac OS X 10.3, I've been unable to set background images for my distribution Disk Images. I used to do this by creating a hidden folder on the disk image with a picture file in it, then use the "View" menu's "Show View Options" command and click the "Picture" button.

I'd then navigate to the hidden folder by typing its path into the dialogue. However, in 10.3, that dialogue no longer has a "Go" field to type into, and typing into nothing does not work, as it does in some other open/save dialogues.

I've tried other suggestions, but not found anything that works.

How are people creating background pictures for their disk images in Mac OS X 10.3?

Arclite
Feb 4, 2004, 11:19 PM

This is the method I use for all of my applications. It's easy, and it works great. Hope this helps!

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Arclite:
This is the method I use for all of my applications. It's easy, and it works great. Hope this helps!
Yep, the "/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /Volumes/blahblah/picky.jpg" command should do the trick.

However, I have another problem. Selecting a picture for the background is simply not working at all since 10.3. Even if the picture file is not hidden.

I selecte the picture successfully, but it never appears as the background. Even if I unmount and remount the disk image.

Any ideas?

I'm using a simple JPG file, which the Finder can preview without any problems.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
Yep, the "/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /Volumes/blahblah/picky.jpg" command should do the trick.

However, I have another problem. Selecting a picture for the background is simply not working at all since 10.3. Even if the picture file is not hidden.

I selecte the picture successfully, but it never appears as the background. Even if I unmount and remount the disk image.

Any ideas?

I'm using a simple JPG file, which the Finder can preview without any problems.
OK, got it sorted. For some bizarre reason, after selecting the Picture, the Show View Options window had reverted to "White". Clicking "Picture" again, makes it actually work. Very weird!!!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
OK, got it sorted. For some bizarre reason, after selecting the Picture, the Show View Options window had reverted to "White". Clicking "Picture" again, makes it actually work. Very weird!!!
I submitted that bug to RADAR a while ago - Just had a look at the status - it's marked as duplicate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules