Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Opera 7.50 Beta Released

Opera 7.50 Beta Released
F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 09:42 AM

Opera 7.50 for Mac OS X Beta 1

Opera at long last brings Mac users into v7 with the boldest update of the series yet!
Opera 7.50 is more than a Web browser:
- Opera Mail, built-in e-mail client
- New IRC-compatible chat feature
- Completely new sleek UI design

If you encounter bugs, submit them to Opera here...
Opera Bug Report

To download Opera 7.50 Beta 1
http://www.opera.com/download/?ver=7.50b1

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
well, is it newer and sleeker than in the preview-versions?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by brutal:
well, is it newer and sleeker than in the preview-versions?
Nope.

F_Elz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 09:57 AM

New theme, slight modifications.

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/mac/750b1/en/

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 11:05 AM

Are we finally on par with other platforms?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 11:54 AM

Opera 7.5 is far, far, FAR better than the sorry release that is 6.x, which was lightyears behind the Windows version. i've not tried the 7.5 beta release for Windows, so I can't make a comparison on that level.

However, suffice it is for me to say that Opera 7.5 will definitely take Firefox's place as "alternate browser" on my Mac, and possibly even a replacement to Safari as my main browser. I'm still trying to get used to it (been trying it for only a day now), a little bumps that need to be ironed out, but over all, its a fine piece of software.

My reactions thus far:
- Fast. Lightning Fast. What Safari felt like when it was first released.
- Still getting used to the keyboard mapping. Tabs work differently (use Option-Tab to iterate over tabs)
- Ads/Buttons are "messing up" things. Safari looks "cleaner."
- Text input fields is too light.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 12:19 PM

Well, after playing with the 7.5 beta for a bit, I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised. While the browser is a bit quirky in a couple of ways, it's reasonably fast and very full-featured ... with some nice Power User touches that I could really learn to love. Even the ad placement is less annoying than in earlier versions. Definitely the best Mac browser Opera has ever produced, by far.

I'm not sure if this will become my primary browser, but i can really see using this for at least some of my web surfing.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
Don't lie.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2004, 01:51 PM

I've never really been able to get on with Opera. I've just spent an hour playing with it and (yes I know it's a beta) it's extremely slow and cumbersome. Going back to Safari is such a nice experience. It's fast, not bloated like Opera and a pleaure to use. You really can tell that Apple designed Safari. It just...'feels right'.

My only problem with Safari is slow loading pages in tabs but it's free and, well, fantastic

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 03:33 PM

I find Opera faster than Safari. It's not quite as Mac like as I would like but hopefully they'll fix that for the final version. Opera is now my default browser

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Montanan:
Well, after playing with the 7.5 beta for a bit, I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised. While the browser is a bit quirky in a couple of ways, it's reasonably fast and very full-featured ... with some nice Power User touches that I could really learn to love. Even the ad placement is less annoying than in earlier versions. Definitely the best Mac browser Opera has ever produced, by far.

I'm not sure if this will become my primary browser, but i can really see using this for at least some of my web surfing.
I tried it and I must say the power options are almost overwhelming. And its fast and much nicer than the previous versions. I still have to work to get it right, with all the options.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 07:31 PM

So, is it up to date to the Windows version?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Michel_80:
So, is it up to date to the Windows version?
yes, finally.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 09:55 PM

The only issue with Opera, is that it does not render some pages properly. ie text offset etc.

tjr124
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 01:24 AM

The Gui is still obviously a work in progress and a bit rough around the edges but this version is a massive improvement over anything I have seen from Opera so far. What's really lacking at this point is the attention to small details. Options and flexibility are most definitely not lacking. Drag and drop tabs are nice. The ability to change the placement of the tabs and other toolbars is pretty cool. Want the tabs up top like Safari and the Moz browsers- not a problem. Want them at the left or right like OmniWeb- not a problem (although no page thumbnails and not nearly as attractive). Stick them at the bottom to just because you feel like it- that's cool too.

Options are nice. Now if only they could manage the elegance of Safari.

F_Elz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Don't lie.
It is different from the Opera 6 GUI, and much better, also has a new skin which works ok right now.

johnhood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 05:59 AM

Opera is plumbing for a 'signature' GUI along the lines of Photoshop and I, for one, am impressed with the beta thus far - platform parity at last.

Thank you Macromedia and Adobe for choosing their rendering engine, so that Mac users can pick n' mix a selection of browsers!

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 08:09 AM

I decided to try it after reading this thread. I tried other releases and quickly deleted them for a number of reasons. But, after spending an hour configuring it the way I like, it's my #2 browser. I have gotten used to some kind of tabbing feature, and that's what's keeping it from being my #1. Well done, opera.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

F_Elz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 09:41 AM

Ctrl+N gives you a new page(tab) if you set the browser for MDI. Meaning multiple documents in one window, its in the preferences.

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 10:02 AM

hmmmm. that sounds simple. I guess in the plethora of other setting that I had to change I missed that one. Looks like Opera may be my #1 browser! only time will tell now. At this point the only reason I keep omniweb around is because nobody else has "Saved linked images..." and "Saved linked documents..."
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

F_Elz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 10:19 AM

Opera >Preferences >Windows >Window Handling > Prefer pages inside Window

And bingo , you'll also get a "new page" button if the page bar is turned on. (View>Toolbars>...)

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 10:26 AM

The mass of options is amazing, that I will say.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 05:26 AM

Just downloaded the beta. It's faster than I thought. Doesn't feel comfy as I am used to with Mac application, i.e. Safari or OmniWeb, even I.E 5. I feel that Opera have a lot convincing to do if they are going to get anywhere. The earlier attempts only gave Opera nothing but a bad reputation, and was only vaste of our time. This beta however looks very promising. I am really looking forward to a final. If the final is on a level with the Windows version and have an improved Macintosh edge, than I can't say nothing but way the go Opera!

*Going back to Mozilla*

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules