Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Audio in for iBook

Audio in for iBook
Robbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 10:53 PM

USB or Firewire?
Which is the best? I've heard a lot of horror-stories about the Tascam 122, which I had decided on
I basically need one to record my band rehearsing. The plan was to get a small mixer, an interface and run into Logic Express/Cubase, some such sequencing software to allow me to do rough mixes at home to bring back to the band.
The iBook is coming this week, and my card is a bit upset, so it will be a little while before I can afford something else anyway. Cost isn't THAT much of an issue - size and portability is!
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Panasonic SL-CT510 CD/MP3 Walkman
Bose Triport headphones

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 10:28 AM

what horror stories did you hear about the tascam?

I have the US-428, and it works like a charm.

Been that way since Tascam admitted that they had driver problems and asked Frontier (the guys who designed the US series) to step in.

Took just over a week, and everything's been right as rain since.

Controller interface works very well with Logic, as well.

If portability is the biggest issue, and you're just using it to cut and edit arrangements from rehearsals, then frankly, I'd just use the built-in minijack input.

When I record rehearsals and I'm too lazy to bring my own mixer, I hook up my Powerbook's sound in to two separate aux sends of the rehearsal room's power mixer, grab two mics and turn their outputs all the way down, and turn up the aux sends. That's a sort of secret stereo mixer, and the minijack on the 'book is more than adequate for documentation purposes.

-s*

Robbo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 12:33 PM

iBook. iBook. iBook.
Bloody PB owners.....
We don't have inbuilt audio-in - yet another thing a �300 premium gets you.....
Besides that, I'd like SOME control of the incoming levels - more than what I'd get from running two mics into a small mixer and into a minijack anyway!
I didn't know Tascam got their drivers sorted - that's pretty good news anyway!
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Bose Triport headphones

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 01:47 PM

Yeah. Leaving those complaints threads languishing on their support forums for months, and then just closing the forums, was a stupid, stupid way to handle the situation and amounted to a PR fiasco.
Originally posted by Robbo:
iBook. iBook. iBook.
Bloody PB owners.....
We don't have inbuilt audio-in - yet another thing a �300 premium gets you.....
My apologies. I was under the impression that all Apple machines now have audio in and was shocked to discover just now that the iBooks don't, even though they come with GarageBand!
Originally posted by Robbo:
Besides that, I'd like SOME control of the incoming levels - more than what I'd get from running two mics into a small mixer and into a minijack anyway!
You get no more control over the volume with the Tascam than with a mixing board.

-s*

Robbo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yeah. Leaving those complaints threads languishing on their support forums for months, and then just closing the forums, was a stupid, stupid way to handle the situation and amounted to a PR fiasco.
My apologies. I was under the impression that all Apple machines now have audio in and was shocked to discover just now that the iBooks don't, even though they come with GarageBand!
You get no more control over the volume with the Tascam than with a mixing board.

-s*
Pretty dumb not to give us (their main customer base, realistically!) that one little thing.....
I realise there's no more control with the Tascam - but I have to get the audio in there somehow Nice to have the option to overdrive the signal though, isn't it?
iMac 15"
iBook 1Ghz 12"
Bose Triport headphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules