Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac's RAM

PowerMac's RAM
Luisc
May 7, 2005, 03:00 PM

Hey guys I'm thinking about buying a new Dual 2GHz. So I want to know the following things.

If I used RAM from a different brand and from Apple it would work with the same performance?

Example:
Apple's 1GB + Crucial's 1GB it would work with the same performance of 2GB from Apple or 2GB from Crucial?

And what do you think of this RAM kit?
MemoryToGo

rotuts
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 03:21 PM

Ive used Crucial for a long time. there prices are good and service excelent. yoou can learn a lot by going to there sire ( latency, speed etc)

if you get a BTO G5 ( my eventual plan on the next incarnation or late fall) get the min apple ram and load with Crucial. calculate it out: you will save a few bucks.

although you are only asking about RAM, do the same with the burner: some people are getting SONY burners others Pioneer 109's

save $100 from apple get the CD and buy a pioneer for $55 another 45 saved.

good luck

rotut
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Luisc  (op)
May 7, 2005, 03:29 PM

Second Question:
If I used RAM from a different brand and from Apple it would work with the same performance?

Example:
Apple's 1GB + Crucial's 1GB it would work with the same performance of 2GB from Apple or 2GB from Crucial?

James41
May 7, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Luisc
Second Question:

Example:

Answer is yes as long as they are the same type. You need pc3200 400 mhz c3 ram. Any combination of quality ram will work as long as it meets specs.

If your looking to save a few bucks take a look at newegg.com they have some Corsair VAlueSelect 1 gig sticks for about $95 per stick. Very good buy and very good ram, i have 2 gig of it in my Power Mac and 1 gig in my iMac. Works just fine.
PowerMac G5 - 2.0 4 1/2 Gig Ram - Tiger 10.4.2
30" Apple Monitor - LaCie d2 Tripple 320 Gig
iMac G5 1.8 1 1/2 Gig Ram 20" - Tiger 10.4.2
Amd64 - Gamer - Water cooled

Luisc  (op)
May 7, 2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks you very much guys!

No one has try
http://www.memorytogo.com/componex/i...,1,Tp,,Bc,.htm

James41
May 7, 2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Luisc
Thanks you very much guys!

No one has try
http://www.memorytogo.com/componex/i...,1,Tp,,Bc,.htm
New Egg Corsair a little cheaper, but who makes this ram?

action
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2005, 07:19 PM

got this from dealmac.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ATT=RW400/1024

cheapest i have seen for a 1gb stick.

i do not know if this will work with the powermac but the specs matchup and it was advertised on dealmac.com

i do not know if this ram is considered generic or brandname.

i have 512 mb of apple ram, 2 gig of crucial ram and one gig of samsung ram in my rev a dual 2ghz.

chung lee

James41
May 7, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by action
got this from dealmac.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ATT=RW400/1024

cheapest i have seen for a 1gb stick.

i do not know if this will work with the powermac but the specs matchup and it was advertised on dealmac.com

i do not know if this ram is considered generic or brandname.

i have 512 mb of apple ram, 2 gig of crucial ram and one gig of samsung ram in my rev a dual 2ghz.

chung lee
Have never heard of this brand...let us know how it works out. Until then i will stick with a known brand like Corsair.

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 11:41 PM

I just got a new dual 2ghz G5 amd it came with 512mb ram. At the Apple store they wanted to charge me $600 for 2 1GB chips ($300 each) I looked at the guy like he was joking, and he was telling me that the price actually went down... so what's up with that? i see soooooo many prices all over the place, "action" you posted this link and the RAM price in super low, did you ever find out if it works on a G5?
Thanks for the info...

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2005, 12:15 AM

Dear Lord have prices have gone on RAM in last 3 Months! It's like the stock market....

I bought 4 sticks of this for my G5 1.8Ghz DP. Works like a charm, but those other sticks are so damn cheap. Go with the Rosewill, and if it's fails, the only downside is you have to pay a couple of bucks to ship it back to NewEgg and wait two weeks for a replacement. My 2cents.

Can't believe how cheap it is now..... I got each stick for $167, and that was a great price then. ****!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220030
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

James41
May 8, 2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by echosphere
Dear Lord have prices have gone on RAM in last 3 Months! It's like the stock market....

I bought 4 sticks of this for my G5 1.8Ghz DP. Works like a charm, but those other sticks are so damn cheap. Go with the Rosewill, and if it's fails, the only downside is you have to pay a couple of bucks to ship it back to NewEgg and wait two weeks for a replacement. My 2cents.

Can't believe how cheap it is now..... I got each stick for $167, and that was a great price then. ****!!

Why would you go with an off brand at $115 when you can get Corsair for $95 ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145505

Corsair runs great in the G5's, a top brand, lifetime warranty, you won't have to worry about sending it back

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2005, 01:44 PM

LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820223020

Why would you get the Corsair for $95 when you could get the Rosewill for $79?
Btw, NewEgg has excellent service, fast shipping. Easy return/replacement.

And you also get a lifetime warranty too, Corsair might be good, but, by no means a top brand, that would be Samsung or Crucial sold RAMs, and the price shows.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 03:56 PM

I only use Crucial RAM in my Macs now because of some issues I've experienced with other brands.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

James41
May 8, 2005, 03:59 PM

LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820223020

Why would you get the Corsair for $95 when you could get the Rosewill for $79?
Btw, NewEgg has excellent service, fast shipping. Easy return/replacement.

And you also get a lifetime warranty too, Corsair might be good, but, by no means a top brand, that would be Samsung or Crucial sold RAMs, and the price shows.
Fords and Chevies my friend. I have used Corsair ram in my last 7 computers including a water cooled P4 3.0 gamer and an Amd64 water cooled gamer, both over clocked with no problems what ever in any of the computers.

You may not think Corsair is a top brand, but you will find thousands who do think so. The reason they don't sell the volume some others do is price, they are usually somewhat higher on their price, expecially in the top end high speed market. Who ever heard of Rosewill? Perhaps they are alright, but i will put my money where i know its safe with a company with a proven record. Maybe in a few years Rosewill will have a record of stability, but i will stay with a company that already has one. At least i don't have to worry about maybe having to yank out some ram and send back.

Too many people only think of cheap, i prefer quality. That is one of the big reasons i went to Apple and the Mac. By the way, you don't have to sell me on New Egg, i have been buying from them for years, their prices and service has always been top notch.

Good luck with your Rosewill ram i hope it works for you. Let us know in about 6 months just how much you like it then. I don't mind saving money, so lets hope it turns out to be inexpensive rather than "Cheap".

nycdunz
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 04:52 PM

omg, i just ordered my dual 2.7ghz with 2gb ram from apple for $405 sigh, so you're telling me a 1gb module is only $95? geez, i looked the other day online and they were going forlike $250

i dont get it, sigh, is it too late to call them and tell them do not install the 2gb and keep the 512mb? it's already been 'sent to manufacturors'

how many ram slots are in the dual 2.7? 8 Right, since it can hold 8gb?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2005, 06:34 PM

Call Apple and cancel your order for the additional RAM post haste! Since it's BTO there's probably still time. They do not mind changing orders before they've gone to the assembly stage. And yes, the 2.3 and 2.7 has eight slots; remember, RAM must be installed in pairs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz
omg, i just ordered my dual 2.7ghz with 2gb ram from apple for $405 sigh, so you're telling me a 1gb module is only $95? geez, i looked the other day online and they were going forlike $250

i dont get it, sigh, is it too late to call them and tell them do not install the 2gb and keep the 512mb? it's already been 'sent to manufacturors'

how many ram slots are in the dual 2.7? 8 Right, since it can hold 8gb?
You will always pay extra when ordering RAM from the computer's vendor (same goes for Dell, HP, etc). They make their most profit this way.


daiSho
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 07:31 PM

not to derail this thread, but was wondering if anyone might know what the range of acceptable timings are for DDR400 in the G5 Powermacs? i have 8GB's of 1GB modules that are CL3-3-3-8, should memory w/ these timings work ok in a dual 2.7GHz tower..?

nycdunz
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 08:58 PM

Today is sunday I don't think they're open...

That corsair memory sounds like a good deal. I heard lots of great things about corsair ram. The memory i saw was kingston ram and it was like $259 for 1GB! I didn't know 1gb modules are so cheap now...

Also is there a particular spec of ram I need, for example like some ram has 2.5v and some are 2.6, some buffered and some unbuffered. Whats the exact type of RAM I need for my dual g5 2.7ghz? Anyone. I want to be sure I get the proper ram... will that Corsair ram from newegg.com work with my existing Apple ram thats in my powermac?

James41
May 9, 2005, 10:00 AM

Today is sunday I don't think they're open...

That corsair memory sounds like a good deal. I heard lots of great things about corsair ram. The memory i saw was kingston ram and it was like $259 for 1GB! I didn't know 1gb modules are so cheap now...

Also is there a particular spec of ram I need, for example like some ram has 2.5v and some are 2.6, some buffered and some unbuffered. Whats the exact type of RAM I need for my dual g5 2.7ghz? Anyone. I want to be sure I get the proper ram... will that Corsair ram from newegg.com work with my existing Apple ram thats in my powermac?
You want PC3200 DDR 400 Mhz C3 unbuffered ram unless the 2.7's have changed specs which i have not heard. And yes the newegg Corsair ValueSelect 1 gig chips will work with your existing Apple ram.

James41
May 9, 2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by daiSho
not to derail this thread, but was wondering if anyone might know what the range of acceptable timings are for DDR400 in the G5 Powermacs? i have 8GB's of 1GB modules that are CL3-3-3-8, should memory w/ these timings work ok in a dual 2.7GHz tower..?
PC3200 DDR 400 C3 unbuffered ram should work.

nycdunz
Senior User
May 9, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by James41
You want PC3200 DDR 400 Mhz C3 unbuffered ram unless the 2.7's have changed specs which i have not heard. And yes the newegg Corsair ValueSelect 1 gig chips will work with your existing Apple ram.

Ok cool, So will I notice any difference between this ram and the OEM Apple RAM? Or no? Big difference in price for sure, which is a good thing. Has anyone order this Corsair RAM from newegg and actually used it in their G5 yet and can confirm that everything is working without any problems at all?

If for some reason the ram dies, is there any lifetime warranty on it from newegg?

James41
May 9, 2005, 01:24 PM

Ok cool, So will I notice any difference between this ram and the OEM Apple RAM? Or no? Big difference in price for sure, which is a good thing. Has anyone order this Corsair RAM from newegg and actually used it in their G5 yet and can confirm that everything is working without any problems at all?

If for some reason the ram dies, is there any lifetime warranty on it from newegg?
There is no basic difference in the two, they are both a standard pc3200 ram meeting the specs for that type of ram. I am using 2 gig of it in my PowerMac and 1 gig of it in my iMac, it works just fine.

As far as if the ram dies, Corsair itself stands behind its product....lifetime

rotuts
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 01:45 PM

going back to Crucial for a sec:

crucial 'plain vanilla' 1G is 132. then theyh have 'ballistix' for 229. its seems more colorful, not to mention the balistix with the LED that twinkles.

is this just some sort of hype? what does the extra for the 229 really get anyone?

thanks rotuts
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

nycdunz
Senior User
May 9, 2005, 06:43 PM

nothing, its just basically for looks...

i went ahead and ordered thr corsair 1gb from newegg, awesome price from a reputable company...

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2005, 07:48 PM

Fords and Chevies my friend. I have used Corsair ram in my last 7 computers including a water cooled P4 3.0 gamer and an Amd64 water cooled gamer, both over clocked with no problems what ever in any of the computers.

You may not think Corsair is a top brand, but you will find thousands who do think so. The reason they don't sell the volume some others do is price, they are usually somewhat higher on their price, expecially in the top end high speed market. Who ever heard of Rosewill? Perhaps they are alright, but i will put my money where i know its safe with a company with a proven record. Maybe in a few years Rosewill will have a record of stability, but i will stay with a company that already has one. At least i don't have to worry about maybe having to yank out some ram and send back.

Too many people only think of cheap, i prefer quality. That is one of the big reasons i went to Apple and the Mac. By the way, you don't have to sell me on New Egg, i have been buying from them for years, their prices and service has always been top notch.

Good luck with your Rosewill ram i hope it works for you. Let us know in about 6 months just how much you like it then. I don't mind saving money, so lets hope it turns out to be inexpensive rather than "Cheap".
Good points and looks like others agree with you. Sorry, just had never used/heard of Corsair before, my apologies. ~Echo

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 02:14 AM

Hi All, I was following this thread to get some more info about the Corsair ram (i just mmy new G5) The guy at the Apple store wanted to sell me 2GB for $600... ( did someone here said they ordered 2GB at around $400 from the online Apple store?) I don't know why Apple need to charge an arm and a leg for this RAM, especially becuase it sounds like there is no difference between "Apple" ram and, lets say, Corsair... so what's the deal? Is it Apple that is buying this RAM for so much money (hey, we can tell them where to get it cheaper _lol_) or are they buy it cheap and charge us? the consumers? Anyone know? Can those of you who got the Corsair RAM get us some feedback on how the RAM works on their G5? Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 03:00 AM

Apple's RAM is just plain overpriced, and the only thing to infer from that is, Apple finds it beneficial to charge inflated rates to the portion of customers who don't know any better.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tomhayes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 03:03 AM

I've ordered 8 gigs of ram from 18004Memory via the http://www.deal-ram.com site and it works great in my Dual 2.7. I bought 2 gigs a few month ago and 6GBs last week. I bought the cheapest ram available and it test and works fine.

nycdunz
Senior User
May 10, 2005, 06:44 AM

boazh yes, get the corsair ram, great price, much better than apple anyday... i ordered a BTO 2.7ghz configured with 2gb for an optional $405 extra, but then read this thread and saw the corsair ram! So i cancelled my order at apple for the additional memory, and used that money I saved and got me 4GB of ram instead... Will be getting 4GB more later on too max out my g5!

James41
May 10, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by rotuts
going back to Crucial for a sec:

crucial 'plain vanilla' 1G is 132. then theyh have 'ballistix' for 229. its seems more colorful, not to mention the balistix with the LED that twinkles.

is this just some sort of hype? what does the extra for the 229 really get anyone?

thanks rotuts
I'm no expert on Crucial ram, but the price difference is probably the same a with Corsair ram, they have the ValueSelect pc3200 ram and then they have the xms line and probably others which is their top end high speed stuff that they sell to wild eyed gamers who want the fastest stuff they can get for overclocking, which of course sells two or three times higher price. Corsair also has some of those colorful led rams.

James41
May 10, 2005, 10:00 AM

Good points and looks like others agree with you. Sorry, just had never used/heard of Corsair before, my apologies. ~Echo
No problem, there are a lot of things i haven't ever heard of either. The Rosewill name for instance, it might be good ram, certainly has a cheap price, and it might work great, just a little leary of putting it into my machine till i have seen the results of it in actual practice. If you install some please let us know how it works out after a week or too, would be very interested to know, i still have a couple of empty slots....(G)

James41
May 10, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by boazh
Hi All, I was following this thread to get some more info about the Corsair ram (i just mmy new G5) The guy at the Apple store wanted to sell me 2GB for $600... ( did someone here said they ordered 2GB at around $400 from the online Apple store?) I don't know why Apple need to charge an arm and a leg for this RAM, especially becuase it sounds like there is no difference between "Apple" ram and, lets say, Corsair... so what's the deal? Is it Apple that is buying this RAM for so much money (hey, we can tell them where to get it cheaper _lol_) or are they buy it cheap and charge us? the consumers? Anyone know? Can those of you who got the Corsair RAM get us some feedback on how the RAM works on their G5? Thanks
The only reason i can see why Apple sells their ram so high is profit. They can certainly buy ram much cheaper than we can because of the volume they can buy in, so profit is the only thing that makes sence. But making $400 profit on 2 gig a ram seems to me to be rather extreme.

As to the Corsair ram in question, the ValueSelect pc3200, i have 2 gigs in my PowerMac and 1 gig of it in my iMac, and both have been running flawless since the install about a month ago when i was running 10.3.9 and since installing Tiger.

rotuts
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 01:05 PM

is there a corsair home page? a roswell home page? couldn' google them
are they only sold at the Egg? some mightg have to check state tax for completeness the Egg charges tax in CA but don't seem to have stores.

did the egg change hands a lo0ng time ago? I haven't dealt with them in a long while and when I did a long time aggo I had lots of problems.

will consider going back if reviews of servicew and prices is good here.

rotut
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

James41
May 11, 2005, 07:36 AM

I learned a little more about Rosewell... turns out it is a rebranded PQI ram, which i don't know a lot about either, except that a friend of mine has PQI in his Mac Mini and it runs just fine so I wouldn't be afraid to try it, great price.

nycdunz
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 01:49 PM

my corsair ram is on its way! Can't wait, thanks a lot guys for pointing it out to me and saving me money!

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 04:56 PM

I learned a little more about Rosewell... turns out it is a rebranded PQI ram, which i don't know a lot about either, except that a friend of mine has PQI in his Mac Mini and it runs just fine so I wouldn't be afraid to try it, great price.
Just liked the name Rosewill... silly I know.

I actually bought four 1GB sticks of the Patriot PDP RAM from NewEgg and maxed out my G5 1.8Ghz DP. It works great! Have had it for 6months now, and just ran the Apple Hardware Test disc, took a long time for a thorough check, but the RAM was still solid.

Btw, looks the Corsair is now down to $90.00 (FedEx $4.33) Wish I coulda waited..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145505

James41
May 12, 2005, 11:15 AM

OUCH!!! I bought at $105!!!....

Forum Links
Forum Rules